Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, SEPT.29)

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is safe from storms and high heat. Today is cloudy and a bit cool but so far no rain. I hope to get some errands checked off my list this afternoon. Crossing my fingers on that item.

I decluttered a few more Christmas trees in the holiday storage room yesterday afternoon. I must have already gone thru them once because the two I was going to toss were already gone. Well, I found two more so they are bagged and ready for trash day. They are too old to donate and slightly over the weight limit. I then rearranged what trees were remaining. The next two oldest I put on the shelf next to the door. At least, this will save me time fpor next year's clear out. I was thrilled that I got that one back corner in order. Of  course, today I'm a lttle stiff and soar. but happy with the space that I gained. 

We've had rain during the nights but more heavy wind. I have to say that I think the updates to the outside really helps with the noise. The dogs were not fussing at all with the wind. YIPPEE!!!

I picked peppers two days in a row this week. It looks like we might get another crop before the weather really turns. We still have tomatoes but the season has past on them. I've been picking them and putting them on the back hills for the wildlife. 

I received the D&C TSV (pants) and really like them. I remember having one pant with that "active" name and liking it. These are longer and I really like how they fit and make my knees feel secure. (no tugging or pulling in that area.) They were worth the $.  

The football shirt and jacket that I ordered for holiday gifts arrived and I am pleased with them. I've got a few presents purchased but not much. 

I did splurge and purchased a new skillet yesterday. WOO-HOO!!! I noticed that the one I use most of time was starting to show signs of wear. This was on clearance so that was a bonus. 

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, SEPT.29)

Hi Fressa and all who follow. Today the temp is only 99, woo hoo🥰

I am happy that you like your tsv pants. Mine arrived and the fit was very strange. I have no hips and slim legs and they did not fit me well.

I did a bit of walking today to get a couple of errands completed. I am paying for it now.

That hurricane was horrendous.

enjoy your day.

😍😍

Esteemed Contributor

I think I have read all of your posts. Prayers for those in need.

We left home on Monday morning and all went well. We stayed in a nice State Park in IN. 

On Tuesday it was a lot of interstate driving, so my dh did most of it, but we stayed at a nice State Park in TN.

On Wednesday, we were in TN & decided to get a motel for Wednesday night and tonight. When we got to the motel, the computer was acting up and we were waiting for about 30 minutes.  We were sitting down when the clerk told my dh to sign the check in paperwork.  When he got  up to the desk he suddenly fell right on the back of his head.  The ambulance was called & I followed it to the hospital.  

He had x-ray's & a heart/brain scans. The only thing that they could find was dehydration.  Just like he did 4 years ago.  Yes, it scared me.  I told my dh that I am going to hook him up to a hose!  As soon as they gave him an IV and got him hydrated he was back to normal.

The EMT's were very nice as were the Dr. & nurses.  The ER Dr said to go back to the motel and get a good night🌙.   

This morning I took us on a short drive (4 hours) thru the Smoky Mtn National Park. It's stunningly beautiful.  Tomorrow we are planning to go on the longer Smoky Mtn National Park Drive. We saw several Elk  today so it was worth the drive.

It's been in the 40's early morning and in the 60's in the afternoon.  Our kind of weather.

Tomorrow my dear dad would have been 101years old.  On Saturday  we are planning to go on the Blue Ridge Pkwy Drive in the Shenandoah National Park.  It covers NC and VA. Speed limit is 50 mph at the most.  That is if the hurricanes don' t interfere with our plans.  I  heard it's mostly 35 mph because of hills and turns.  I look forward to seeing as much of it as possible.  At least 3 days of sightseeing, shopping and eating

We are still planning to get back home on Monday October 10th which would have been my Mom's 102nd birthday.

Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are beautiful, but I thought I was on a race track.  Dinner tonight was at a very good pizza buffet.  

I will post when I have anything to report on.

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening and thanks for getting us started, Fressa.  Glad you got all that work done and were happy with your orders.  I have read some good reviews for the D&Co. pants -- happy they were winners for you.  Enjoy your new skillet.

Sorry the pants didn't work for you, Barbara.  Have you had any rain?  Yesterday when I left for the grocery store it wasn't raining.  Then, as I was walking into the store, there was a light sprinkle.  After I checked out, I saw everyone standing at the exit -- quite a deluge with lightening and thunder.  Nothing like what they had in Florida, but very wild.  I thought the rain was getting a little lighter, and tired to dash to my car only to get thoroughly drenched, umbrella turned upside down, and even my groceries got wet.  The rain really cooled things down.

It was cool on my walk this morning, and we had more rain - light this time, when I was making my hospice deliveries.  Now it is down to the upper 60's, but I think it didn't make it past 82 all day.  

Sorry you are sore after the walking you did today.

I had a lump in my throat when I read your post, Glenda.  It must have been so frightening to have your husband pass out like that again.  Definitely make him drink more.  Sounds like you are having a good time despite that scare.  Sending hugs.

I am concerned about the storm coming to South Carolina, but hope that it will not be a horrible problem in DD's area.  I made her promise to keep in touch -- not that I could help, but.....

Before the hospice deliveries, I went out to lunch with one of my ladies groups -- Red Robin restaurant.  I thought their veggie burger was tasty, and the other ladies liked their regular burgers.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Stay safe and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

I've been trying to keep on the posts even if I haven't posted much myself.  I get a bee in my bonnet to do something, like the latest re-org/purge and I forget about getting online.

I've come to the conclusion that I take certain things too seriously.  Like city code and ordinances.  They recently updated some tree ordinance and said in the city council meeting this month that this update will close the loophole residents were using.

First of all who knew they implemented some new ordinance in 2015?  It has to do with getting permission for what they consider landmark or heritage trees.  As someone who needs to cut down like 6 trees along the back fence to accommodate a new privacy fence that gave me some concern.

With mercury in retrograde this month I've been listing questions that I have for the city for my project - after all they promote a program where you can make an appointment with an inspector ahead of time to discuss code/zoning/ordinances, permits, supporting documentation....

Sounds fabulous right?  Yea, no.  I called yesterday to arrange for a callback.  I was specific about replacing fence along lot line with tree involvement.  30 minutes later Bob calls me to discuss project.  I say, that's not how this goes, I need to make an appointment.  He says I can ask him on the phone, so I say well alright.  I start asking my questions and his response is okay, okay, okay.  So I say, Bob I'm looking for confirmation that my understanding is correct or correction if I have it wrong.  He starts sighing, says he's got a lot to do and tells me if just a fence.  I ask about trees and he says he knows nothing about trees. 

I suggest that fences aren't his strong point either and say maybe it would be a good idea if they kept him off the phone since he doesn't know how to communicate with the public.  I asked to be transferred to someone who may know about trees - the young woman I talked to was fabulous.

Learned that Bob is the plumbing inspector.  Now what in the heck would you have a plumbing inspector field questions about fences and trees?

I'm trying to get some fence companies out here for estimates.  I'm gonna let them deal with the BS that is my city government when they apply for the permit.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Glenda @twinny70  I'm sorry to read that your husband suffered dehydration again on a trip.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

sydsgma1---Sorry the pants didn't fit you. I have slim legs but hips and (I think) a tummy..  I always hold my breath anymore with the sizing. It seems to be all over the place

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny70------Sorry about the scare withyour husband's dehydration. It's good that he recovers so quickly. Your trip sounds wonderful!  I haven't seen elk since we were at the ranch years ago. Their size is so impressive. Buffalo have a canky disposition and are so huge. Safe travels.  

Esteemed Contributor

LindaLatte----Sounds like a bad storm you had and with groceries. UGH!!! I got caught in the grocery store check out line when a storm hit and took out the power. The cashier had already started to ring my order when it happened. The emergency back up power takse some time to kick in and only powers certain registers, freezer foods, etc. What a mess! Since then I won't do the grocery shopping on a storm day. 

I have friends in Fla and SC so I'm hoping they are okay. Usually, the hurricanes bypass them or they just get debris but no damage. The one has another home in Cape Cod but I don't think they had enough time to get there. Hoping for the best for all.

I've never seen a RedRobin restaurant around here but the food alwsys looks good on the ads. I enjoy a good veggie burger. They are difficult to find. I'm not a fan of black beans so I do better with the brown rice version. QVC used to sell one that was pretty tasty but I haven't seen them in years.

Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama--What an ordeal you had. I swear, they do everything to make ****** difficult for a person to find the information they need for a maintainence /construction job. A plumber on the phone when you were asking about trees. Flashed me back when I called the township about the rules, laws for bow hunting deer on private property (with or without permisson) involving property damage. Not all these hunters have the best aim. The dogs were barking and alerting and it was a bow hunter outside the bedroom window chasing a buck around the neighbor's pool. Then I saw two more. They were shooting arrows all over the place. My big A/C unit is out that window and my bow window is above it. I called the township multiple times and finally got a woman who knew which end was up. She said it didn't matter about property lines, permission, etc. If they were next to any object or person that could be harmed then that wasn't legal. Finally a sensitble answer. When they showed up again I got the plate number and chased them out of here. 

Good luck with the estimates.