Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, SEPT. 10)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a rainy day and I am at home. It is good to have a break but if I had been called to work, I would have gone.

I received a big box from Amazon yesterday filled with my "Subscribe and Save" items. Many of them save me money from the stores; others are about the same price but save me time of going to the store and hunting items that may or may not be in stock when there. I also received the Wen 613 perfume which is very nice. That was my token purchase from Wen day.

I normally like a Dennis Basso TSV but this year I am depriving myself ot the yearly Basso purchase. The coat I purchased last year is working very well, plus I have other coats of various styles and weights.  If not needed, it represents money saved.

Right now, I'm relaxing and streaming episodes of "The Walking Dead." Later on the viewing agenda, I'll be streaming "Longmire" to watch as I do paper work, etc. Watching things like this instead of watching QVC, etc. is a great way to deter impulse purchases. I watch the shows when they feature products I like or I just go online and look when I want or need something.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely one day at a time!

onlineorder.JPG

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, SEPT. 10)

Good morning Jean.  It's raining here too.  I woke up a little sore from walking and no motivation today.  I walked a little and did some things around the house.  I need to book for our Vegas trip but it's more expensive and spending money on travel gives me hives to begin with.  Part of me wants to go but part of me does not.  DD might be able to come this year and it would be lovely to see her.  DH's oldest has class all weekend so we will barely get to see her. 

Not much to share here.  I went to the women's craft group yesterday and it was nice to meet a few people.  I also went to my Celebrate Recovery last night and loved that!

Cooking something new for DH tonight - will have to see if I can post the link.  http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/buffalo-chicken-garbage-bread/acea015f-cf28-40ca-a5dc-34c8feadde8a

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kathleen--You've been doing great on your walking but perhaps the muscles need a little rest. Travel is expensive and it does cause second thoughts, but it is the type of thing that involves a lot of comparison shopping. Even one day can make a big difference in the price of a ticket...or the time of day. I remember going a day early once to save over $250 on a ticket and with the price of the room for an extra night, I still saved money.

This is an event you look forward to, but finding the best prices is always a challenge. Interesting recipe but I've never heard of buffalo sauce; other than the term "buffalo," it sounded good.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning!  Thanks for getting us stated, Jean.  Hope you have a nice, relaxing day.  It is raining here as well.  I like DB coats, but I have no need to buy a new one.  

Hi Kathleen.  I can understand about booking a trip.  As Jean mentioned, there can be huge differences in the price depending on when you book.  Hope you have a great trip if you do go.

For some reason, I had trouble sleeping last night, and this morning, I'm having a little bicep aching -- that is a new one for me. DH and I haven't taken our walk yet due to the rain.  Maybe after my "strong bones" workout it will clear up.

Waves to Arlene, twinny, bernie, snicks, Marijane, LindaR, Susan, Charlene, Barbara, Rosa, Karen, pinky ann, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

The adult day care introduction went pretty well, and I think DH might be willing to attend.  However, we need to have a medical form filled in by our doctor, and our doctor has left his practice.  Our appointments with the new doctor were not until October 9th, but I went by and pleaded for an earlier time.  So, now it should be late September instead.  I completely understand that the day care place needs to have this medical information, TB test, etc., but I'm very disappointed that it will probably be a month or so before DH can go there.  

My SIL was better the night before last and yesterday morning.  Fingers crossed that continued yesterday.  I have not spoken to DD yet today.  

I am without a stove now, but the kitchen sink is working.  Not sure what we will be doing for lunch or dinner.  Last night, we had TV dinners and a salad.  Not bad, and less expensive than going out for dinner.  

This afternoon, I need to staff a booth promoting the OLLI "classes" for a couple of hours.  Guess I that will keep me pretty busy.

Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

JEAN, It is nice that you have a day off to rest up even though you really enjoy teaching. The Amazon purchases sound like a winner without running all over the place to find them & then have them out of stock. It is raining here too with highs in the low 70's without humidity. I am loving it. It is supposed to be raining on & off Friday & Saturday with highs in the 60's. Then back to the 70's by Sunday through most of next week. RC, I am proud that you can walk 5 miles in one day. I am doing about 1 mile per day with my pedometer which seems to motivate me as I do not like walking for an exercise. I cleaned the house very good yesterday so today I just got the guest bedroom & bathroom ready for my DH's classmate & my former boss. She is coming sometime tomorrow after lunch & will be going back home Sunday morning. I am fixing spaghetti & meatballs for dinner on Friday night before we go to the reunion at a very popular bar in town. I am taking her to Chopstick for lunch on Saturday. I was hoping that one of my friends could go too but she has a wedding Saturday morning. Today I am putting up my fall decorations. Not too many but it gives me a nice feeling of fall which I just LOVE. Tonight for dinner is leftover bar b cue ribs from last night. I plan to take a much needed nap this afternoon. Off with a nose bleed. Hugs to all of you.
Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I am so sorry that you have a delay in getting DH involved in the program. It is always good to act when the motivation is there. Hopefully, he will still want to do so when you get over the delay hurdle.

Twinny--All the exercise you do in your home counts and it adds up. It may not be as intense as walking several miles but it is exercise.  Enjoy the visit with your friend. The spaghetti sounds like a great option for a meal before going out. Enjoy!

Well, I'm having Progresso Light soup for lunch and then will be heading for the Kindle.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

Today is the last day of classes, which is sad - I've  been loving them. We're on a lunch break right now but I'm passing on eating - I arrived early, and there was a free breakfast buffet out so I had a toasted bagel and some sausages; that was just before 10 a.m. and it's too soon to eat again, so I'm charging up my laptop while I "play." 

Last night Dr. DeYoung's wife provided a light fellowship snack bar after classes ended - she made her world famous banana pudding and strawberry cobbler, plus there was cheese and crackers and a sausage cheese dip.  She's a very good cook - no wonder he's as big as he is!  Cat Wink   Unfortunately for him, he was chatting with someone and by the time he got to the food it was all gone.

I went to Publix on my way home to take advantage of some of their pet food sales; they still have cases of cat food on BOGO with coupon, as well as cat treats and Beggin Strips for the dogs.  The cat treats were $1.79, but I also had manufacturer's coupons for $1 off each bag, so between the BOGO and the coupons I got 14 bags of cat treats for free. Cat Very Happy  At the end my bill went from $135 for everything to about $70 with all the coupons I had. 

Anyway, the cashier asked if it was raining yet, and I said I had just seen a few drops when I came in, but another clerk said it was pouring out.  Sure enough, I looked out the door and there was more water coming down than there was in my shower - too bad I didn't have my shampoo with me!  Cat LOL  The other clerk asked if I had an umbrella; I told her I didn't, so she went and got one to loan me, and told me to pull my car up in front of the store and she'd load my groceries.  She really went over and above and it was much appreciated; I just called the store manager to compliment her, and he told me she'll get a free lunch.  The rain was really coming down; I ended up leaving my car near the porch door rather than pulling under the carport so I could run into the house; I just kept the things that had to be refrigerated near me and took them in, and the rest will be unloaded later - it's still in the trunk.

Sorry to hear your DH's daycare is postponed a little longer, Linda; I know you can use the break.

Jean, making money is nice, but so are days off - hope you enjoy your day.  Have you been picking up your mail at the PO?  I haven't been since last week; maybe I'll go Monday - I have some cookies that I don't need, so I'm going to send them to some troops; I really have to cut back.

I'll check in later; it's funny how sitting in classes all day can leave you so tired - I'm planning on a nap when I get home.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Respected Contributor

Buffalo sauce = chicken wings are VERY popular here and a lot of them are spicy. They call the spicy sauce buffalo sauce. Too funny how i assume things are similar all over.
This time there is not much wiggle room with travel. The further airport would save us a little but the drive would be worse. A direct flight is slightly cheaper and with DH making new so anxious traveling, i would rather just pay extra.
Respected Contributor

Linda, it's too bad they can't make am exception for DH. I have DD in my prayers. That is the good thing about walking do much, plenty of time to pray for all my friends!

I am listening to music today and dancing in the rv while it rains. I am about to do laundry and need to get to cooking. I want to make a bit of potato salad again and try to make alittle pasta salad.
Respected Contributor

Good afternoon. I have been busy...sometimes I find my post retirement life busier than when I worked. I read the posts every day.

i am moving better after my fall but it took a few days. My ra exacerbates anything.

you all sound like things are going well.

jean enjoy your day off.

kathleen..I used to walk 3 miles daily...cannot do that anymore.

linda...sorry that it will take a while to get dh in.. I worry about your Okies...are the weights too much????

arlene..glad you are enjoying your classes. It is good when something is ver engaging.

twinny ..your weather should be much better...yours too Bernie.

((((hugs)))

To everyone I forgot to mention