Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, OCT. 29)

Linda, what was the tsv yesterday?  Jean I think they are cute too.  I just already have too many boots and too many slippers (as you may remember, I have 2 pairs that I wear as boots and no one is the wiser!)  I hadn't looked the tsv in ages.  I remember the days that I would jump on and look at EVERYTHING I missed.  Those days are over.

My Cinderella dress was ordered because it was a beautiful dress with good reviews, suitable for a special occasion as well as Halloween.  However, it did not make me feel like a thousand dollars so taking it back.  The dust ruffle as well.  I got the curtains and the color is not what I expected.  So I haven't decided. Willl likely take them home and put on up before I decide to keep or take back.

Linda I am so glad that you are "treating" yourself here and there.  I bought a bag this week - it was only $30 at Sam's and the perfect travel bag, although I did not need another bag it had several improvements over the carry on (personal item) bag that I had planned to take on the plane.  DH just rolled his eyes.  ha ha

Respected Contributor

the site it crazy for me today, skipping to other pages without me touching the "mouse". 

I can't wait to have dental insurance again!

Esteemed Contributor

Kathleen -- the TSV yesterday was a set of Lock and Lock bowls with gift bags and tags.  Perfect for gift-giving, and the recipient can have a storage bowl after they finish the treats. Your new bag sounds nice.

So sorry about your Mom, twinny.  I really hope she gets the message about trying to live on her own.

Jean -- the class I took was on-line.  That was one of the reasons I agreed to do it -- getting to a class (even nearby) isn't always that easy with scheduling conflicts, etc.

DD said that they were happiest with Delta Dental -- not their current plan, but.... I do appreciate hearing others experiences.  I am very happy with my vision insurance since I need to have my eyes checked at least once a year, and it pays quite a bit toward new glasses which I can get every year as well.  I never got dental insurance because I wasn't spending much at the dentist, especially when I was going to the dentist in Mexico.  But, times have changed.

Respected Contributor

I just caught up with everyone's posts..no boots forme...do not need them here. 

Jean...hope you are enjoying your time at home...you will soon be on your way to a beautiful place.

linda..I have had delta dental and it saves me about 50% of all ssrvices. Including cleaning.  I think it is well worth it. I think I know the pumpkin you got...it is very tempting.

twinny...you also really have your hands full.  It is good your mom is ok....I cannot imagine them letting her go home without 24/7 help.

kathleen..too bad some of your purchases did not work out.

i have been a bad girl with a sale at jjill loll..  I have been flaring too so have been trying not to do a lot of extra stuff. It is so good to be in az..

(((((hugs))))to all.

Honored Contributor

Hi all, it's very windy and cool here today, the cooler weather wrecks havoc on my back, so just dusting, laundry, etc for me today. I am beginning to get the bills from all my recent doctors and the various testing in, and am looking at them, very expensive for not being able to actually pinpoint anything, I am very disgusted with this whole situation, but what can you do. They have to be paid.

I've been reading through all the posts and wishing everyone the best. The only thing I can say, twinny, and I am sorry to say it, is that if your mom is still falling and won't follow doctors orders and says so, you may have no choice but to place her in a full time care situation. No one ever wants to go, but for her own safety you may have no choice. I had to tell my mother that she could not go home again, and it was very hard for me to do that, but I had no choice in the matter, as her doctor would not even let me take her home with me to live out her days, and I begged him since I knew how much my mom hated the thought of a nursing facility. How I could have managed that I don't know, but I did not want her to be unhappy which I am sure you are feeling the same as I did. It is such a hard situation to be in, for her and for you. You have my sympathy with what you are facing right now.

LL, also wishing you my best with all you have to deal with your dh, I know you are aware of what may be coming at some point in the future.

No shopping for me today, or yesterday.

Waves to everyone....

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1@Birdmama@twinny

This strand caught my eye!

@twinny70  I am so sorry that you will need to move your mom... hopefully she will understand at some point that you did this for her safety.  We had to do this to DMIL.

Hi, everybody here... wishing you all well and to have a good day.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Hi girls!  It's a beautiful, sunny day out; I woke to pouring rain, went back to sleep, and was surprised to see how nicely it's cleared up. The weather continues to be warm, which I'm grateful for - I can't deal with the cold.  I have no plans to go anywhere; last night we went for a ride to Publix and to Walmart; I needed kitty litter at the latter (I use two different kinds - mostly pine pellets but odor control clay in one box) and they didn't have the kind I wanted. Maybe I'll take a look and see what they have again on Sunday and can pick up some half-price candy for the troops while I'm at it. 

Twinny and LindaL, I feel so badly for both of you, and keep you in prayer. Twinny, in the long run, your mom will be happier in an assisted living faciliity if you choose one carefully - yes, you do hear some bad stories, but there are some wonderful places as well. When we went to visit a nursing home before putting my former MIL in it we were impressed both by the beauty of the place as soon as you walked in, and the obviously caring staff - more than once we saw residents being hugged and lovingly looked after. The good ones will have a variety of activities as well, and many opportunities for socialization. At first she resisted, but whereas when she was with us she'd sit in her wheelchair with her arm across her forehead all the time, she soon had friends, had her hair done every week, and was a changed woman by the time we went to visit her the first time.

OK, you all made me look at the TSV; I too thought they were slippers. They're cute, but I don't need any more boots, and my new slippers from LL Bean should be here soon.

It's a good idea to cut services you don't use; a better use can always be found for the money. I no longer have my smart phone - I rarely used it, and have wifi at home, so that saves me $35 a month...down from the $50 for unlimited calls I used to have, since I don't make many calls at all. I had a friend who pays for a land line for the sole purpose of being able to use her fax....which she used only every few months. What a waste!

Well, if I don't hear back from this handyman by Saturday, I'm calling the plumber about the leaks and the tub knob, and will look for someone else to do the air ducts. 

Guess I'd better get to work - I need to get the floors washed, do a heavy-duty vacuuming, and shampoo the rugs again.  It never ends. (sigh)

Hi to everyone - have a blessed evening!

Esteemed Contributor

DH & I just got back from seeing mom at her rehab facility.  I am sorry to say that her fall in the night was not a wake up call for her that she needs 24/7 help.  Her neighbor across the street was there when we got there & asked me how things were going.  I said poorly & she was surprised as she said that mom looked good.  Then I mentioned the fall in the night & mom said "Oh I didn't want you to know about that."  BIRD MAMA, I know that you dislike medical facilities as most of us do.  My brother & I were both told on Tues. night that we had no say in where she went as her memory isn't that bad yet.  So for right now, she gets the last word on where she will go.  That is the part that makes me nutsy.  RC, It sounds like you have decisions to make on redoing your bedroom.  LINDA L, I hope that you enjoyed your bones class today.    SNICKS, The rain is done so my DH is crazily blowing leaves to the curb as he thinks that they will get picked up early tomorrow.  I made stew yesterday so the rest of it is in the crock pot for tonight.  SYDSGMA, I am sorry that you are hurting, but I hope that your shopping was fun.  Off to put some garlic bread into the oven.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--Your mother may give others the impression that she is capable of functioning well most of the time, but it is the times that she can't that will create the problems for her....and for you that love her. The purpose of a rehabilitation center is to help an individudal regain ability to function more normally to the greatest extent possible so they can be returned home,, etc. That does not mean assistance will no longer be required. Right now, you are faced with so many unpredictable variables regarding your mother. It is the unknown things as well as known that is creating the stress. This is truly a one day at a time situation. Hugs and prayers continue.

Arlene--You are so right that the work around the house never ends. Good idea to pick up the candy on sale, as well as waiting for the right types of kitty litter.

Barbara--I know you enjoy being in Arizona but regret your flareups are creating pain. You are handling it right by not aggravating it with much work at this point.

Kathleen--Great find on the bag but regret your Cinderella dress and other items didn't work out. So disappointing when items look so promising but turn out otherwise.

Snicks--No one likes to pay those medical bills and they can really mount up especially when on a fishing expedition to find the mysterious cause, etc. It is so frustrating to pay when no specific cause or treatment has been found but people do have to be paid for their services. The questionnable time is when one questions if the service was even needed.

I spent the afternoon reading and finishing another book. Hopefully I will be able to sleep tonight as I don't feel the greatest. I am to work tomorrow which I will do but right now, I could easily stay home.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Well I have no idea what the heck I did this morning, but I did something that made my lower back hurt.  I didn't jump out of bed, or fall down or pick up anything heavy :-(  I think I inherited my Dad's flaky back.  It's always the base of the back (near the dimples, lol).  I was fine, just puttering around and then owwie.  Of course, the long commute (accidents galore) and sitting at a desk all day didn't do much for it.  If I sit for a spell I look like the tin man when I first get up.  I work the kinks out then have to sit again.  I see a hot bath in my future and a back patch.  I should have thought to pick up a tube of bengay on the way home - that usually feels great, even if I do smell like a wintergreen lozenge :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise