Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, OCT. 10)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a beautiful sunny day. I'm currently watching the SG show and was tempted by her "two-fer" blouse set except it had long bell sleevves. Had it not been "belled," it probably would have come home to me.  I did break my non-buying of wants by buying the Campanelli microfiber sponge set. Is it a "want" or a "need?" I just know I needed mine replaced.

I have spent 3 great days of subbing in the same classroom. The students were great but I'm not used to doing 3 days in  a row like that since the accident, etc. so when I decided to lie down and rest when getting in from work yesterday evening, I went to sleep. Needless to say, that interfered with me having a good night's sleep. I was up at 4am and had a cup of coffee while watching the previously recorded QVC programming of the TSV. After 5 minutes, I turned to the Weather Channel and watched "Why Planes Crash."

The neatest thing about being in Hawaii was seeing the TSV kick off at 6pm when the mainland was on Daylight Savings. Can you imagine a full eveing of pre-recorded programming now before it hits Midnight in Hawaii. Can you imagine a full evening of TSV being presented over and over before the Midnight hour? What about those whose work hours and sleep hours are reveresed from the usual? Will  this end up with them abandoning the Q for online only.

I never liked reruns on HSN, so there is no reason to like it now. That is just my personal opinion, but I've been with the Q since the merger with CVN. I vaguely remember them playing with this concept long ago but abandoned it. Things change with the times, but I do know the Q may be losing potential buyers because of the increasing cost of clothing, etc. The younger target audience is more interested in value priced items.

Speaking of prices, my Sirius XM special pricing is about to end. I didn't want to go to the "go to" price as I can't justify it for short drives or just an hour or two hour drive every two weeks. They did what I hoped which was to give me a year at a little over $5 a month with taxes. That beats the $20+ a month it was scheduled to go to. 

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, OCT. 10)

Good Morning Jean @KonaKat   Great to see your post this morning.  I was about to send up the bat signal since I hadn't read anything from you since Monday Woman Happy

I'm glad that you were able to secure a good price on your Sirius XM.

If the Q is looking for ways to cut their overhead, my vote is to go off the air for 5 hours.  I don't know enough about broadcasting to know if going off the air would violate whatever contracts are involved with transmitting their broadcasts (cable channels, over the air channels). 

When I visit the Q community, I read threads in all of the forums.  In my opinion, there is a whole lotta complaining going on.  I can handle complaints about shipping and escalating prices.  It seems to me that the threads nitpicking the hosts is at an all time high.  

I voluntarily got rid of cable 5 years ago.  Aside from shopping channels, there are lots of other channels that I can pull in with my antenna.

For me, there's more to TV than QVC. 

Since I started a post for today around the same time you started the post for today, here's what I wrote:

Good Morning 

It's a beautiful sunny day in my part of the country and I have no complaints.  I have a dental appointment at 12:30 to replace an existing crown.  My COBRA dental insurance expires at the end of this month and I have to say, I got my money's worth 

I've more or less glanced at individual dental insurance policies but I suppose I need to start taking it more seriously.

I've read about the public safety power shutoffs in California and I am worried for the citizens who rely on electricity to sustain their lives.  Both of my parents had COPD and my Ma's COPD was severe enough to require an oxygen concentrator.  My Ma had tall tanks of oxygen in the event of a power outage.  Oxygen goes fast when it's coming from the tank. 

The couple of times that she experienced a power outage, my eldest sister and I didn't lose power so Ma had a friendly and welcoming place to go (with her concentrator) until her power was restored.

I understand the problem in California and readily admit that I don't have the answer.  I'm praying for the citizens.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--I actually pulled up the forum on another tab to see if the thread had been started before I hit the submit button. We must have posted at the same time. When I was watching the Weather Channel there was a big discussion about the impact of lack of power on those who depend upon it for their medical devices and made recommendations for pshoppilaces to go where there are generators.

There are things beyond our control. I am not one of those who has to have the Q on 24 hours a day for "diverse" entertainment. Right now, I'm watching "Untold Stories of the ER." Frequently when I go on trips, the TV systems of some hotels don't carry shopping channels. I usually turn the TV on for the news when traveling. For those states in the far West, there is such a thing as delayed broadcastding so they would not be faced with the TSV hours in a row.

I seriously doubt that the Q expects people to sit through multiple hours of the same presentation. It is offered for those whose schedule might not permit them to see the TSV so they have an option of an hour to choose. There is also a thing known as a remote that enables people to change channels. Do we not read of people who just check the daily item review instead of sitting through all the programming? There are flexible options.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

I went to bed to rest and just got up to hear Riick mention the Affinity Diamond holiday ring. I remember when this was a big thing to look forward to the QVC presenting each year. Some were very beautiful and I've had my share of Affinity diamonds but none were the holiday ring.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening, and thanks for getting us started Jean and Bernie.  It is somewhat difficult for me to shift back and forth, so I was unaware to the new Q programming of which you wrote.  What is the new schedule?  I guess they will be repeating the TSV hour for several hours?  I get both QVC and Q2, so there are lots of repeats if you watch the two "networks".  And, the Q2 Big Deal hour is always repeated in three hours -- 6 and 9 p.m. In the summer and 7 and 10 pm in the winter.  And, they often run the TSV hour on Q2 at a different time.  I certainly don't watch shows over and over, but sometimes I am able to see something of interest on the other channel.  In truth, I don't actually watch much Q in any case.

I agree with you Bernie about the very critical posts increasing lately.   Those types of posts make me decide that I am wasting too much time and getting upset over stuff that is totally not worth it.  Life is too short to do that.

Glad you enjoyed subbing, but I'm not surprised that you were very tired, Jean.  Hope you sleep better tonight.

Happy you were able to get such a good deal on the radio programming.  DH's car came with that, but we let it drop after the free period.  Good that your weather is nice and sunny.  

That certainly is terrible about the power outages in CA.  I agree with your concern about people who really need electricity when something like that happens, Bernie.  My MIL and brother had COPD -- terrible disease.

Today the sun came out and it was warmer here.  That was great since we had two walking tours.  Just a beautiful area.  Our local tour guide is excellent -- very funny.  

Tomorrow should be a very good day -- going by boat to other areas, including Bellagio where I have been twice before.  I have not had time to ship even if I wanted to do so.  I'm starting to think I will probably buy at least one non-food item beyond the postcards, but who knows.  It turned out that I didn't bring nearly as many clothes as many, and no skirts or "fancy" clothes.   I felt slightly bad about that, but on the other hand, I have not had to have laundry done nor pay overweight fees for my suitcase.

Waves of all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Thank you for providing us the opportunity to share in your wonderful visit to Italy. I can see you buying a lightweight item such as a scarf as a memory of your visit there.

I also agree with you that we are onlky granted so much time and that it should not be wasted on focusing upon bashing, etc. There is too much negativity everywhere, and that is not good. I remember a psychology lecture in which the presenter said it took ten positive comments, etc. to offset the impact of one negative. One easy way to do that is not to read all the negative or if done, not add to it.

Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte   I'm so happy that you are having better weather.  I'm enjoying your updates.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise