Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, NOV. 19)

Good Morning!  It is chilly here this morning (in the low 40's), but it should be warming up nicely todday (into the 70's) and be warmer the next few days.  That is fine by me.  I have a cold, which is bothering me quite a bit.  I don't have colds often these days, so I guess I can't complain too much.

I set the alarm 30 minutes later this morning, and I was happy with the extra time in bed.  But, then I was feeling like I was running late.  LOL  I have some vegetarian vegetable soup cooking in the crockpot, and I think that will be nice to have this evening.

DH has a follow-up doctor's appointment this afternoon (follow-up from his hospital visit after collapsing), and I plan to ask the doctor what I can do now that I'm afraid to take him with me for walks, etc.  I don't like the idea of him not getting any exercise, but I don't know what exercise he can do safely.

After the doctor's appointment, I will be headed to my last OLLI class (numbers).  Very interesting subject.

If I can get myself together, DH and I will go to Wal-Mart this morning so that I can pick up some more cold medicine and a few other needed items.

I don't know if I mentioned it yesterday, but our neighbor/friend didn't have her dental surgery on Tuesday after all.  It was postponed since the dentist had some equipment problems.   I'd really hate to have a procedure like that postponed, but.....

Waves to Jean (working today), Kathleen, Arlene, twinny (hope your doctor can help), Bernie, snicks, Susan, pinky ann, LindaR, Charlene, Rosa, Marijane, Karen, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, NOV. 19)

Hi LInda thanks for getting us started today.  I didn't know if I should laugh or not over your description of the trips to the doctor and the DMV yesterday.  What a comedy of errors!  From the outside looking in it's kind-of funny, but if I had been you, I would have been very very frustrated.  There's a lot of incompetence these days.  And the DMV?  2 hour waits at ours at all times.  Yuck.  Sorry that your neighbor had her dental work postponed.  I know several people who go to Mexico to have their teeth worked on.  It's about a 2 hour drive for us.  I cringe at the thought, but then, we have insurance and can afford to have it done in the USA.  There but for the grace of God, go I.

Yesterday, I felt as though I worked on chores all day, but at the end of the day it didn't feel as though I got much done.  You ever have those days?  Our dinner last night with my DSIL went really well.  Better than expected.  I think she's finally found some stability and peace in life, so she feels more kindly towards others.  

I have Bible study to go to in a bit, and I need to go out and pick some pomegranates to take and share.  I like pomegranates, but I can't possibly eat that many.  I also can't believe they cost $2-3 each at the grocery store when they're drought tolerant and very easy to grow here where I live.  I need to pick them soon though, because if we get a freeze, then the fruit usually splits open.  Once that happens, we have some happy pomegranate-chomping goats!!!  Happy Thursday everyone  ~  Charlene

Valued Contributor

Good morning!

While I was reading about the DMV adventure I was not surprised, all the DMVs' around here are just a nightmare to deal with.  The 911 terrosits all had VA DL, so our DMV are very strict because of that.  They are efficeint but it is very time consuming, to do anything there.

We decorated our office for Christmas yesterday and it is really pleasant, we do not start the Christmas carols till after Thanksgiving.

My new roof held up great during the high winds and heavy rains last night, what a relief!

This week seems to be dragging because I want it to end, we are going to the wine festival Sat!  Funny how that works.

I may stop at Goodwill after work,  You never know what treasure you may find!

I hope that everyone is well and having a nice day.

Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies....we're waiting for the rain to start here..it's mild out though 62 degrees which is weird for  this time of year...I'm not complaining though.

LindaL that was some ordeal you had yesterday......our DMV can be bad too...but Inwas just there this past Jan to renew my license and it took about 10'minutes....just had to get a new picture and I'm good for 6years.  wHen I mentioned to the lady behind the counter how empty the place was she said it's always pretty empty on a Wednesday....so now I know what day to go.

Glad you had a stress free dinner with your in-laws Charleen. tHose pomegranates costs a few dollars for one here.....my DD used to eat them years ago...are your goats not suppose to eat them?

Arlene funny you should mention the peanut oil....my supermarket stopped selling it a few years ago......I always used in my Chinese cooking because you can get it very hot without burning....at least that's what they told us in my cooking class years ago.  I can get it in BJ's but it comes in such a big container that it goes rancid before I can use it all up.

Twinny hoping your moms move will go ok and she will be pleased with the place.  

kAthleen have a great weekend....looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Pinky still haven't made those oranges but I will.  That's about all.  Hope you have a great weekend too Rosa.        Have a nice day.  Marijane

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!  It's an absolutely gorgeous day out - warm and sunny. I'm off in a little while - I have to drop off the Operation Christmas Child boxes, empty my trunk at the thrift shop, pick up a few things at Sam's, and stop at the library to print a few things, and then I have the Tchaikovsky concert tonight, which will be followed by dinner out.  I'm tired from just thinking about all of it! Cat Frustrated

I HATE THIS BOARD!!!!!  It just "poofed" most of my message!  Cat Mad

I've had it with my computer printer - it's given me nothing but grief; I'm debating if I should donate it (and pass on the misery?) or just dump it. I'm so angry with myself for selling a perfectly good, nice printer for this piece of junk just because I wanted a wireless one.  I don't think I'll bother with a replacement; I rarely print anything, and if I have it done at the library they don't charge me since I often bring them cupcakes and donate books. Even if I had to pay, printer ink is expensive, and with this last printer it doesn't last long at all.

Charlene, I'm suprised the pomegranates are so expensive; at Aldi they're 69¢. How do you eat yours?

Marijane, I use the peanut oil for all my frying; it's one of the few that's non-GMO. 

I guess I'd better get moving - there's a lot to do.  Hi to everyone not mentioned - have a blessed day!

Honored Contributor

Hello all - I don't think I would have demonstrated as much grace as you did with the DMV yesterday LindaL.  Why did you need an eye exam?  I don't think we need that here, then again, I have no idea about age limits and changing rules re: DL and License plate renewal.

It's blustery outside and the sun is trying it's darndest to shine.

I received almost everything from JCP yesterday.  My wallet is still in Ontario, which should benefit me, just across the river in Michigan (fingers crossed).

My two worthington sweaters are keepers.  I ordered a print blouse that I wasn't sure of and I should have followed my first mind.  The fit was great, the print too loud.  I ordered a pullover sweater that I'd been eyeing for quite some time.  Wow, dropped shouldered sleeves and exaggerated high low hem and I knew, too sloppy looking on me, even though the olive green color was divine.

It took 3 pairs of Sodalite studs to get one pair that actually came matched.

I will be heading to JCP to return 2 pairs of earrings, one blouse and one pullover sweater.  Considering the number of orders I've placed this season, not too shabby. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

RI wanted to reply to twinny a port question....my understanding is that if it is puffy, some of your infusion may have infiltrated tour skin..I would see your dr soon or call your infusion center.,

i do not think it is normal

have a great day, everyone

Honored Contributor

Hi everyone, I see we are all busy, as usaul. Thanks LL for starting the thread this morning. Glad your DL ordeal is over, gee, that was something. I would have been frustrated to say the least.

I started off my day getting things done, woo-hoo. Washed my dining room walls, baseboards, moved all the furniture out, vacuumed, dragged out the shampoo-er, got if filled and ready to go...going to get that room done...HA! Shampoo-er won't either dispense or suck up anything. I got on the internet to find the manual that no longer comes with the unit when you buy them, studied what could be wrong, took it all apart, the "fix" did nothing. I would have had that room done by noon, with furniture back in before night, but NO. I am so aggravated, I've only had it just over a year. If hubby can't figure it out tonight either , guess I'll be buying another. Not what I want to spend more money on. That has been my day, lol.

Hope everyone is having a much better day, lol. Waves...

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

LINDA L, What a nightmare it was for you to get your new DL.  I would have not been a happy camper either.  I hope that your cold is gone real soon.  I had one a few weeks ago but luckily it was very short lived.  I hope that your DH's followup works out o.k. today.  Have fun at OLLI also.  Too bad about your friend's dental work being postponed.  I remember when our DS was in college with 4 impacted wisdom & told to have them all extracted at once.  I was too petrified to take him to where my dad passed away at that time that  I asked our DD to take him.  Just the night before his appt. he was running a fever so he never did have them extracted.  CERB, yes there are lots of days that I feel like I did a days work with nothing to show for it.  It sounds like dinner last night was a success.  We used to eat pomegranates when I was in HS.  How fun to pick the fruity stuff off of the seeds all the while watching Lawrence Welk.  I haven't bought one in probably more than 20 years.  ROSA, I hope you & Mark have a great time at the wine festival this weekend.  Glad the new roof is leak free especially during your heavy rains.  Lot's of people around here did their outside decorating last week as it was near 70 & we should be getting snow by 

Saturday.    MARIJANE, We have just had the mildest November ever,  I was hoping to take mom to her home to get things for her new place, but her Dr.s orders haven't been faxed over yet.  RC, Have fun on your trip to Vegas this weekend.  Put a quarter in the slots for me as that is as much as I would RISK.  SYDSGMA,   thank you for your advice on my itchy puffy port.  I asked my Dr. this morning while I was there for my 6 month checkup & she said get it checked out too.  I went after my appt. & my regular nurse said all seems fine but if it gets hot then come back quickly.  I want to take care of this port as it is 6 y/o & what was supposed to be simple surgery, kept me in bed for a week afterwards.  Today was disappointing for me as my DH & I had planned to take mom back home to get things for her new place.  We are all still waiting for her Dr. to fax the orders from her rehab place to her new place.  It sounds like I am working with LINDA L's.  DMV!  Snow is coming by Saturday morning, so maybe things will go quickly tomorrow.  We can only hope right now.  Right now I am more mentally tired than physically tired.