Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, MAR 8)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a beautiful sunny but cold day. Thankfully, we missed the big snow but know that those who are without power, etc. are having a difficult time.

I made a decision about the Affinity diamond angel wings earrings. Those were spectacular but I couldn't see myself with enough good events to justify the cost. I wouldn't wear them with casual clothing as they looked very dressy. Despite how much I loved them, they are going back. They were not a need despite matching a ring I have. They also represent a day's pay at a time when I haven't been working.

The local school district will be making up part of the days out during Spring break when I am on the trip. As a result, I will have lost opportunities to work; I had hoped to be able to make up the four days of lost jobs but using Spring break takes care of that.

Add to that, I need to replace my MedicAlert bracelet. I always get one in sterling with rhodium finish so that is an expense and a need. I've had this bracelet for several years but it finally gave up the ghost.I am now waiting for them to open so I can phone in the order.

I'm okay with my decision The earrings were gorgeous but were not a need. I had considered them to be my April birthday present from me to me but the financial part of me said "No!"

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely,

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, MAR 8)

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Sorry you feel that you need to return the beautiful earrings, but I do understand.  I have not done that with jewelry, but fore several years I have had a gorgeous sequined skirt in my closet that has been worn only one time.  Like you, I attend very few "dressy" occasions/events where it would be appropriate.  Oh well.....

Glad you missed the snow/storm problems, but I know Marijane and others were affected.  The last I saw on FB, she was without power.  Hope that is restored soon.

It is a shame that the school district is making up the lost days while you are away.  Best laid plans as they say.

In contrast to many other areas, we are having warmer than normal temperatures -- should reach the upper 70's today.  I sure like this weather.

DH was doing pretty well yesterday, and I will visit him this afternoon when the hospice nurse should be visiting.  I plan to go to the gym this morning.

I was inspired by Barbara to try growing some geraniums, and I purchased and planted them in a container yesterday.  She has had good luck with geraniums in Arizona.  While I had lots of lovely geraniums in Maryland, I thought it would be too hot here.  

DD sent me a picture of DGS's new/used car yesterday afternoon.  It looks like a nice sedan.  I'm sure he is happy to have it.

No shopping planned for today, but who knows.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--It is great news that DH was doing well when you visited, and that DGS's car looks like a great replacement. I do hope that you have great luck with the geraniums. I no longer have a green thumb when it comes to flowers.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Good morning, Jean - thanks for starting our thread today.  Glad your'e happy to be back at work.  Subbing is hard work.  Harder than being the regular teacher, in my opinion.  Smart to return the earrings if you're not going to wear them much.  I've done the same thing a few times, and should probably do it more often.  I have the same issue with earrings by the way - my ears are sensitive to the alloys in sterling silver, so I prefer to wear white gold.  I recently ordered some interchangeable leverbacks in white gold with the plan that if I am able to remove a sterling silver drop or dangle from an earring, I'll slide it on to the white gold top portion.  Hope that makes sense.  Linda - I've got some geraniums growing in my yard.  I like them.

This has not been a typical week for me.  I spent most of Monday with my Mom, taking her to a doctor's appointment and running errands.  Then yesterday afternoon my sister and I went with her to her tax appointment.  My Mom wants to know that we could step in and take care of things if something happens to her.  After that, my other sister joined us and we went out for dinner.  There was a family there that let their two young boys run around the restaurant for an hour.  And I mean RUN.  They were so obnoxiously annoying that I actually began to laugh.  Poor kids though... I can only imagine how they're going to turn out in the long run with parents like that.

On top of everything, I've come down with a cold.  I haven't had a cold in years, and my DH is sick too.  Yuck.  Plus my DD and I are driving out-of-town today.  She is going to shop for new clothes while  I meet childhood friends for lunch.  I guess I'll take a bunch of cold meds, and warn them I might be contagious.  One friend is from Montana and I only get to see her once a year at most.

Learned something else about feeling sick - it weakens my shopping resistance.  Last night I bought several pieces of jewelry from ebay.  Which I need like a hole in the head.  Sigh.  I'm still contemplating another jewelry purchase, but it's expensive, so I'm making careful consideration.  It's an Adi Paz leaf-shaped pendant, item J346509.  I've been eyeing that thing for over a year.  Wanty, Wanty, Wanty...

Well everyone, hope you have a good day, and be better recovering shopaholics than I am.  ~  Charlene

Honored Contributor

Hi ladies,

http://cache.lovethispic.com/uploaded_images/blogs/20-Best-Good-Morning-Happy-Thursday-Quotes-5476-19.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Charlene--I do hope you feel better. I definitely understand the increasing urge to shop when not feeling well. It is as though your resistance has been worn down and things seem even more tempting. Also, there is that "hope it makes me feel better" input.  I used to do eBay all the time but have not looked at it for a long time.

meallen--Thanks for the great graphic. I hope you are not snowbound along with Marijane. I just saw a pic of Ridgewood, NJ on the Weather Channel.

Marijane posted this alert about her town:

STORM UPDATE - CODE RED MESSAGE:

Winter Storm Quinn had a significant impact on the Town. We currently have 172 Roads blocked due to downed trees and wires. 306...3 homes remain without power. UI cannot project power restoration for the Town but will update restoration projections throughout the day. The Town is working closely with UI to clear roads and restore power as quickly and safely as possible. Treat all downed wires as if they are energized. To report a downed power line or outage please call UI at 800 722 5584. Travel around town is difficult due to the many road closures. Please use caution when traveling and remember to check on you neighbors.

Esteemed Contributor

Power is sending back little useused jewelry is a good idea since you will miss several subbing days & going to London soon.  I don't have a Green thumb & never did.

Linda L, it sounds like your DH  is enjoying your visits which is a good thing.

Meallen, nice graphic again.

CERB, hope that you are feeling better real soon.  You are going in many different directions right now.  

I had my PT at 7:00 this morning so we had breakfast at my clinic.  I will be going twice a   week for about 6 more weeks.

I am doing better so that makes me happy.

Our weather is  sunny &cool.  I am loving it.  Our sil flew to Boston early Monday morning for business.  He texted our DD this morning & his work place & motel don't have electricity!  He is a computer consultant,     Power is necessary.

Prayers for you Marijane & other's in this nasty storm..  I have no idea how  our ds & ddil are doing.

I am having lunch with friends tomorrow.  There is no school because our  girls basketball team are going to State.  We will see them on TV.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--I am glad you are feeling better and that the PT is working for you. I went through 4 months of it at 2 times a week. It can make a big difference. Enjoy your lunch with friends.

Esteemed Contributor

@KonaKatwrote:

Twinny--I am glad you are feeling better and that the PT is working for you. I went through 4 months of it at 2 times a week. It can make a big difference. Enjoy your lunch with friends.

Jean, I made a mess of my post.  The phone & door bell rang at the same time, so I hit post.

I meant to say that it's smart to send jewelry back that you won't wear often.  

Our dgs will be getting PT for several months yet & our dgd is also getting PT.  I decided to join their club.

Honored Contributor

Jean @KonaKat  I think you made a wise decision about the earrings.  Jewelry is no good to you if you're not going to wear it.  At least Midnight picked up those diamond studs for you.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise