Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, MAR 12)

[ Edited ]

Greetings, shopping friends. It is a beautiful day with temps expected to reach 70. This is my kind of weather and I could handle it year-round.

I went to the city yesterday to have lunch with my niece and then go shopping in WalMart. It was interesting to see the empty toilet paper and related supplies. I noticed an employee trying to stock one brand of toilet paper (not store brand) and people were grabbing it as she put it on the shelf. I have to admit that when rumors of this started, I got my hand gel and was able to get the last two rolls of store brand toilet paper.yesterday followed by a pic of the empty shelves.

We have no idea where this bug will go and the extent of it as it may be uncharted territory. I guess it is common sense time. They don't have to cancel large gatherings for me to know avoiding them is a good measure. I have two trips scheduled, one in April and one in late June/early July. I am not cancelling at this point. I am not eager to lose the money and things may be more stable at that point.

I caught part of the Susan Graver hour but didn't order anything. I have more than enough clothes and if not venturing out then new cl.othes aren't needed. Yes, I'll venture out but use common sense about it. We need to support our small business owners, etc.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely. If stocking up, don't forget the furbabies.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, MAR 12)

Hi Everyone!

Today is warming up and the sun finally is out. I hope it dries out the ground and the dampness that is hanging in the air. It looks like the weather is all over the charts for this week so the dogs and I are just taking it a day at a time.

I went to the market yesterday and what a difference a week makes. I could not believe the empty shelves for paper products, cleaners, drano, laundry detergent and hand soaps. Our market had a sign posted listing limits on the paper products. Today they sent an email adding more items to the list. I was just picking up a few of the weekly specials and my prescription. Now, I'm second guessing myself if I should pick up an extra dish soap, etc. I'm one for not panicing with these virus "bugs" but am more concerned with being around too many people. Last night my husband's buddy texted him from Costco that they were limiting the number cases of water that a person could purchase. I just figured that I would boil ours if needed. Not sure how prepared we should be. I usually have supplies for a couple of weeks. 

Our female dog is not feeling well. She has bathroom issues. I made her rice last night and this morning I put some chicken broth in it for some extra flavor. I did mix in a few bits of chow to give her some substance. She tires of rice within a day where our male thinks it's a treat. We have our fingers crossed that this is a 24-48 hour bug. She is still playing and keeping her regular schedule with naps,etc.  It could just be her allergies spiking. I know mine are. We usually react at the same time. Fingers crossed.

I did cave and order the TSV sheets this morning. I thought I would give them a try for the really hot summer nights. The reviews seem to be good. Has anyone tried these? I did purchase a set of lanterns from this line at Kohls and am very pleased with them. Great sale and coupons. 

Today I think I'm paying bills and scrubbing the last bathroom. I was going to do a few errands but am rethinking how much of that misc. store shopping I should expose myself to. I think it will depend on which stores they are. The bigger the better probably.

Hope everyone has a good afternoon/evening. 

Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies,  its.not such a nice day here..chilly and cloudy..in fact to me it feels like snow but it's too " warm".. in the 40's.       I was at   my rhemotoligst this morning just for a follow up...all's good unless I have a  problem , in fact he took me off a med I was taking.

I just saw on f.b. An alert from my town that the schools will be closed until further notice starting tomorrow and they will be having " remote learning".  We don't have any of the virus cases yet here in town but 3 in the state.

I'll be trying a new  chicken recipe for supper tonight.....so hoping it comes out good.    Have a nice day...stay well everyone......Marijane

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  It is very cloudy here with 100 percent chance of rain.  And, it will be quite windy this afternoon.  HIghs are expected to be in the 60's.  So, I guess your weather is nicer than ours today.  

Glad you got into the city yesterday.  I'm not surprised about the lack of toilet paper, etc.  That is true here as well.  I ordered a thermometer on-line with Wal Mart, so if it is ready today, I will check out the shelves.  I understand that canned goods and dry pasta is also in short supply.  ETA -- Wal Mart just canceled my order since they are sold out of that thermometer.  

Like you, I am not canceling or postponing my scheduled trips.  While they airline and the tour company have said that they will not charge for changing, there might well be costs due to changes in the airline prices according to the tour group.  I am just going to wait and see, but I know some people who are canceling their plans.

Glad you were able to get out yesterday, Fressa.  Hope your dog will be okay, and please do be careful.  Also hope you like the sheets.

Good news from your rhemotoligst, Marijane.  I'm sure the soup will be delicious.

OLLI just sent out a message canceling all classes for at least two weeks. Glad I had my yoga class yesterday.  Fortunately, I only had three classes scheduled, but it is a shame.  Still no word about the senior lunch program or adult day care.  As I mentioned yesterday, some nursing homes and assisted living facilities here are barring all visitors, but so far so good with the one where my hospice patient lives.  I visited her yesterday, and we had our usual lively conversation.  I also was able to pick up my altered dress for DGS' wedding, and it fits very well.  Speaking of DGS, he is going up to New Hampshire to interview for a job there.  I guess if he gets the job, he (or he and his fiance) will need to fly or drive in for their wedding.

I heard from my Turkish neighbor that she suffered a TIA -- I am very surprised since she is a little younger than me, very physically fit, and doesn't smoke or anything.  She is also caring for her 90 year old husband, so I'm sure she is under a lot of stress.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Fressa--You made me think of something I forgot to buy yesterday, and it was a routine replacement...dish soap and laundry items. On the water issue, I think I would also boil the water if necessary. There have been studies that revealed some bottle water was not any better than tap water. Enjoy the sheets.

Marijane--You had a successful doctor's visit with that report and him taking you off one med. We haven't had any confirmed cases in our state yet but two major universities have gone to online instruction. It will be interesting to see what will happen with the public schools. Right now, they are permitted 5 days of alternative instruction which we use as snow day packets as not all students have access to the internet.

Linda--I guess you will have to order your thermometer from Amazon or pick it up at a local drugstore. At least, our drugstore still has a supply. I think taking a "wait and see" approach is good with any booked trips. I had travel insurance with medical coverage which is important for international flights but I'm sure that they will not reimburse for cancelled travel because of the virus.  I'm glad you were ablle to visit with your client.

I just did some shopping. I have the most perfect bra, so I went to One Hanes Place and ordered three more. I have a habit of finding my perfect items disappearing, so I wanted to make sure I had replacements.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

I changed how I grocery shopped after I retired because I found I was wasting food.  I usually buy what I need for a week and this morning I was thinking about maybe going to the grocery store for things like more orange juice, my soy milk and some cans of soup.  I had to make a run to the ATM to get some cash because the lawnmower guy called to tell me my mower was maintained and ready for delivery.  I had to break a $20 since the amount due was an odd number so I swung past Little Caesars and grabbed a pizza.

I don't feel like going back out again, lol.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--I usually have a two-week supply of food on hand, but if it is Winter I might have more in the form of shelf stable. Learned that from going without electricity for almost two weeks in a February when a severe ice storm hit our entire state.