Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, JUNE 2)

Hi Everyone!

We'll having severe thunderstorms, wind, etc. yesterday and today. The temps and humidity is in the hight 80's. UGH!! Too much for me. Friday we are to be in the mid 70's and no rain. YIPPEE !  Cleanup from the storm (so far) doesn't seem too bad. We were lucky. 

I have to pick up a prescription tomorrow and do some grocery shopping. My list is long so I may make it a second trip next week. The hubby is picking up the dogs prescriptions today. (They also have increased in price) I spent the afternoon trying to find a generic version and checking the supermarket pharmacy to compare prices and alternatives but came up empty. For now, I'll go to the vet's because they seem to be getting their supplies. 

Our vet's business has changed hands. The original staff "retired" and the new staff is greatly reduced ( one third of the original staff)  They also only handle dogs and cats and no other animal. There is a huge hospital wing which has been closed. They only handle small surgeries and refer you to another vet office with a working hospital. It appears that they were all purchased by one group and reduced to a skelton crew in each location. I find it a bit upsetting because if you have an emergency it appears that you have to wait for office hours. Has anyone else had the same change? 

The TSV looks nice and I was tempted. I have 3 tee shirts from the Candace line and like them. They launder well. I'm more of a tee shirt/top person. I'm trying not to purchase anything unless it's a true "need" and not a "want". 

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, JUNE 2)

Good Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Fressa.  Thanks also for the information about the mattresses.  I know that Jean is very pleased with the one she purchased, and it is a hybrid type.

Sorry about your weather.  Hope it improves tomorrow.  Hot and dry here, which is quite normal for June.  That is a shame about your vet office.  When there is a big change in medical facilities (human or animal) it can be upsetting.  There seems to be heavy turnover in human medical facilities in this area.  Since I don't have a pet, I don't know about vet offices. But, I have read quite a few complaints on "Next Door" about the charges plus the problem finding a vet in case of emergency.

Like you, I like the look of the TSV, but I am doing my best to resist.  Definitely not needed, and I don't care for linen.  I think this one might be okay since it is a blend with another fabric, but....

The hospice office called to say the supplies had not arrived, and they might not be ready until tomorrow.  Fortunately, they called back to say that they had arrived, and they just called to say they are ready. 

I went to the grocery stores this morning (I usually go to two).  The prices continue to be high, and there seem to be fewer and fewer good specials.  Also, not many "checkers".  I don't like to do the "self check" if I have many items or a bunch of produce.  But, I think the stores would much prefer that we do so.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda 

Esteemed Contributor

• Fressa, we had a down pour on Tuesday.  My dh put the Subaru in the driveway to get a free car wash to get all of the bugs off the windshield that we got at the wedding on Saturday.  I realized that my passenger window was part way down.  I got soaked as did my slippers.  My rx $$$ are always a mystery to me.  Our dentist left like your vet did.  He retired from the dental office that we went to & just works at his other office two hours away.  We have decided to get our teeth cleaned and can't get in until next month.  I called this office in April.

I have been reading most of the time.  Bird Mama, I hope that you are doing better.

I have no updates on Declan after his chemo treatments several weeks ago, but I know his family enjoy your prayers.

I called my rheumatologist on Tuesday for advice on a rx that I think is giving me a lot of shoulder pain.  His  nurse called me this morning when we were getting groceries.   I called her at 11:00 & I am waiting for her to call me back.

The wedding was beautiful even though it was  outdoors & very windy and a few sprinkles here & there.  The bride is a beautiful young lady & the groom is soooooo handsome.  There is no honeymoon as they purchased a home in March and moved into it in April.  They are money sensible and will probably go on a honeymoon on their 1st wedding anniversary.

The groom is an accountant and just got a nice raise.  His wife is an elementary school teacher.  They both work 20 minutes from where they live & will continue to drive back and forth as they make a lot more $$ in their former town, but it costs a lot less to buy a home in their current hometown.  

I was happy with my outfit and got a lot of compliments on it.  My brothers mil asked me where I got it from & I told her JCP.  She said she didn't see anything anywhere near as nice when she was looking for her outfit a few weeks ago.  Then I confessed that I bought it for our ds and ddil's wedding in St. Thomas 16 years ago.  

We ate way too much food as the wedding was at 4:00 p.m., cocktails at 4:30, reception at 5:30, dinner at 6:00 & late night snacks at 8:45.  We left at 8:15 so we missed the late night snacks.  Open bar and we just had a couple of SF cokes.

We are having great weather.  Low 70's  Tomorrow night we are going to "Car's on the Square.". Lots of cars, people & I hope to get a good dinner down there.

I need to get the laundry off the clothesline.  Dinner is chili in the crockpot that I made yesterday.

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda L, we were posting at the same time.  Good luck with your hospice deliveries.  We go to 3 grocery stores and only one has a self checkout.  We did it this morning  as we didn't have a lot of  things to check out, no coupons and there is always a person to help us out.  It's so much faster than going through the regular checkouts.  

It looks like your dd and her family have things under control with the dishwasher and getting ready to move.

Susan, it looks like your move went well and you are  getting things done bit by bit.   We  lived in the old house for almost 25 years and I knew exactly where everything went.  I am still trying to figure where to put things in this house. I think it's because this house is larger and we have less things.  Our  2 dc haven't lived in this house and we eventually got rid of what they didn't want many years ago.

Glenda

Honored Contributor

Hi @Fressa  It was still humid if not as warm yesterday.  We had a weird rainstorm that blew through at around 1 pm.  It was windy and it looked like the rain was going sideways - yikes.  It was cooler today and it's supposed to be nice tomorrow and Saturday, then we get a couple of more days of rain.  We need the rain so ...

I'd seen on local news at the end of last week that the cost of pet care has gone up.  At the time the reporter was talking to people about the cost of pet food and supplies.

One of the seeds that I use for my birds is Kaytee Fiesta Finch/Canary.  When I bought this seed in April (not 2 months ago) it was 6.99 per 2 pound bag.  I ordered some on Tuesday - it is now 12.50 per 2 pound bag.  I have become accustomed to Quiko Special Egg Food (another thing I give my sparrow) being anywhere from $10 to $12 for a one pound bag.  That didn't go up.

I am very sorry that your veterinary practice has changed hands and it's not for the better.  I entered the bird phase of my life in 2005.  I had an elderly dog named Max at the time.  Max passed away in 2008 so my first veterinary experience was last year when I was fighting for Francis' (rescue pigeon) life.  My Max was treated at a veterinary hospital during his life.  They did surgeries and even had an orthopedic doctor who did that kind of surgery (on dogs at least, don't know about cats).  The only time I was referred out of that hospital was when I insisted I wanted an opthalmologist exam and when Max had to have an MRI.

I have never been a cheap pet Mama.  I don't care if it was when I had a cat or a dog, seriously take my money.  That said, I expected quality care since I was shelling out $$$$.  My experience with Francis and the vet was an epiphany.  I would like to mention at this point that I did not take Francis to a practice that treated dogs/cats exclusively.  I was referred to them by a bird rescue organization and I was assured by the staff that the doctor was an 'exotic' vet. 

I'm trying to figure out how to communicate my disappointment without using curse words.  There was little to no communication from the doctor herself, she delegated everything.  If I was lucky enough to get her on the phone she was in a hurry.  I spent many a trip waiting in the parking lot as I watched the techs ushers pets in and out like a production line.

Seeing the new state of veterinary care in my neck of the woods has been enough to cure me of ever getting another dog or cat for the rest of my life.  I am not accustomed to being treated as if a veterinary practice is doing me a favor when I am shelling out over $2 grand.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi Linda @LindaLatte 

Honored Contributor

I'm glad that you had a great time at the wedding Glenda @twinny70   I think I misunderstood your previous update about Declan.  I thought his labs were fine and he wasn't having to undergo chemotherapy.  I am so sad for that child and his family.

My local weather guy Kevin said that the first half of June is going to be cooler.  I'd swear he said it was mostly going to be in the 70's and I almost yelled Praise the Lord! Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

My excitement (ha ha) and accomplishment today was cleaning the second story gutters.  I use a little giant ladder and a long telescoping pole with a plastic scraper attached to the end.  It's a tool I fashioned myself and even though I always get filthy when that mess from the gutter inevitably hits me on the head or lands on my clothes, it beats me having to climb too high.  Believe or not, considering some of the DIY things I've done over the years, I have a thing about heights. 

I keep the little giant ladder folded in half and only have to go up maybe 3 feet - the pole and scraper do the rest.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bird Mama 

I don't get updates on Declan very often, but he did have a few weeks of chemo.  I don't go any higher than the 3rd rung of a ladder, then I hug the ladder with my knees.  I prefer two rungs.  I have always been afraid of heights.  I have a lot of cute pics of my grandpa holding my sister and I in the palm of his huge hands when we were about a year old.  Maybe that's why I am afraid of heights.  Lol.

Glenda

Eta: I forgot to say that our TV meteorologist said it's supposed to be cooler for the first two weeks of June.  I am going to do a happy dance too.

Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama---My hubby wanted his own Campenelli mop set that had the porcupine attachment to use for cleaning the gutters. It works great and doesn't scratch the paint off. The right tool for the job is pricelss...let alone ...keeping you as safe as you can.