Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, JUNE 11th)

Good Morning/Afternoon!  Another hot and dry day here with a predicted high of 103 degrees.  I managed to get out for my walk before 6:00 a.m., and hope to leave even earlier tomorrow to avoid the heat.  Hope the storms didn't do too much damage in your area, Bernie, and everyone else is having okay or better weather.

As Jean mentioned yesterday, Arizona is seeing a spike in coronavirus cases.  According to our very local newspaper, our small hospital has plenty of room and supplies at this point, but I know hospitals in other parts of the State are worried about their capacity to handle virus cases.  One of the links I saw (think it was one of Jean's) predicted that Arizona's peak would not be until July.  So, I guess this increase is not a big surprise.  Nevertheless, there are too many people who have decided life should go back to normal -- no masks, no social distancing, etc.  I am not in that group.

I plan to do my grocery shopping this morning, and then stay indoors as much as possible.  I received an e-mail from the Q saying my storage containers have finally shipped.  So, hopefully they will be here early next week.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day and please post if you have a chance.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, JUNE 11th)

Hi Everyone!

Today is cloudy, hot and bits of rain and wind. The temps are below 90 so that's the good news. Our storms passed thru last night and were not as bad as predicted. I was up 3 or 4 times with opening and shutting the windows. Our male GSD freaks with thunder and was having a tough time. He just wants you to hold his ears and rub him. Poor thing. That has to hurt their ears and they can't get away from it. 

I'm doing some drive thru banking today and misc. paperwork that requires phone calls. I expect to be on hold for awhile so I'll do the banking first. I need to streamline the paperwork that we're keeping in our files and safe for policies, etc. Since we have a long wait for our a/c repair I've added this to my "to do list".  

I found out today that the new company for the a/c will do the install but does not want to handle any yearly maintainence on our system. They consider it a repair not a full size purchase and not familiar with something this size. I'm so disappointed because they had that option listed on initial paperwork. At least they were honest early enough for me to put that on my search list. They do not like that it's in the attic and would prefer it in the garage. Well, so would I but I don't think we would get 2 cars and yard equipment in there then. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that idea and I know I don't want construction work in the garage. Disappointing.

I'm glad that the storms were not as bad as forecasted in the other states. The heat temps are incrediable!  Dry heat or not---it's still hot!

Stay safe & comfy.

Have a good afternoon/evening. 

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Thank you for starting the thread. I think you are one to make wise decisions about how to handle going out and dealing with the Covid-19 threat. I do hope your grocery shopping goes well, and it is best done in the cool of the morning.

Fressa--I am glad your storms were not as bad as predicted. Animals are so very sensitive to storms. There is something called a "thunder shirt" or something like that you can put on dogs to help calm them. I am sorry that the company will not do maintainence on your AC system. I think the delay in finding a business that is more cooperative might pay off for you.

Our temps are about 15 degrees cooler than yesterday. We did have storms in the area but in my location, it was limited to thunder, lightening and rain but no high winds as they had about 20 miles away.

I just saw Rick present a fan thing that blew cool water on you to help cool you down. I just spent a minute on that and turned to watch Dr. Pimple Popper. I am trying my best not to buy anything I don't need. I last shopped for groceries on May 26 so I am good for a couple of weeks. Amazon is delivering cat food to me today.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Linda L, its a good thing that your hospital has plenty of supplies yet.  It looks like a long time until AZ peaks.  Yes, it still amazes me that people don't understand why we have to self distance & wear a mask.  I am waiting for our County to have an increase in the virus cases.  5 county fairs including ours have been cancelled.  The county fair 45 minutes from us is still planning to have their fair next month.  My dh's mom  brother and sil live in this small town.  Last Friday night, the race track opened up and the grandstand was packed.  No face masks and shoulder to shoulder people in the grandstands. I hope that your Thursday shopping day goes as well as ours has.  

Fressa, I am glad that you didn't get any bad storms, but 90° is awful any way you look at it.  Its too bad that you are still messing around with getting the new A/C.  I bet that attic is an awful place to do work in.  

Jean, we are having beautiful slightly below normal temps & I am loving it.  We were lucky to just get a little rain and a couple of windy days.  

It was a busy morning.  We left home for groceries just before 8:00 & we were back home at 9:10. We have been listening to our local radio owner do a program related to elder law each morning and today was the last program.  He is an elder care atty & very good. None of the stores were busy and almost everybody had a mask on.  

Before lunch, I went to Walgreens and finally got our anniversary pictures developed.  I was in and back out in just a few minutes. Wal-Mart doesn't do them in the store and I don't know how to do them online.

Then I hung out two extra large loads of laundry.  It was dry and put away in two hours.  Other than sheets etc.  I only do the laundry once a week.  Works out great with just two of us here.

I have done very little this week.  I am enjoying listening to the radio all afternoon.  There's no real hurry about when I get things done.  Each day is the same.

We are looking forward to doing a drive restaurant lunch in my bf's driveway tomorrow.  We haven't done one at her hometown yet.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--Doing less than normal this week? I think you have been very active with grocery shopping, laundry and planning to attend the driveway luncheon tomorrow. You mentioned masks; I have been finding some that are very pretty and fashionable, but I've primarily been using the disposable ones as I don't venture out that often now. I do have three that can be washed and reused but some now are so pretty,

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jean, we both have a few N95 masks, which my DH wears once in a while.  He thinks that they are uncomfortable and I prefer the fashion ones that I made for both of us.   I only go into the stores once a week, while he has to go get milk or fresh fruit one extra day a week.  They wash and dry very quickly.  If I could find "Bucky Badger" fabric  I would make a few more.  Right now though  I have no desire to go to a fabric store. 

I forgot to tell you that the exciting news here last week was a big black bear in a backyard in our hometown, very close to our house. Three days before, it was in a neighboring town.  Three days later, it was about 45 miles away from us. Yesterday it was spotted near the capitol city.  Yesterday, the Madison TV station was showing it lumbering behind a barn.

Honored Contributor

The violent storms missed my city and I ended up with 3 rounds of rain that was needed.  No flooding, thank goodness.  It was breezy and cool today and I loved every minute of it.  Since they reopened Michigan I'm noticing folks walking around without masks on.   Oh well, I got sidetracked today and didn't go grocery shopping.  Tomorrow I will go, wearing a mask.  At this point it's almost second nature for me.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise