Valued Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, JULY 2)

I also understand about finding the new normal, I have lost both parents and my DH, I miss them everyday.  It can be  very hard getting to that new normal

Respected Contributor

Hi girls,

We had heavy storms yesterday, all through the night, with more forecast for the rest of the day and a likelihood of rain for the rest of the weekend. There was supposed to be a festival in the large local park, but it's been postponed due to weather. 

I did get my research paper for school finished yesterday, and before midnight at that.  I have an exam and a book analysis; hopefully both will be done tonight, then that's it for this semester - I'll be free until late August.

I pray all goes well for you with your tests, Jean.

Rosa, sounds like you're doing very well; you're blessed to have loving people around you.

I don't know what my BFF is thinking; she's been doing all sorts of weird things lately.  She keeps telling me she's "poor," but bought a used Lincoln SUV sight unseen, and had to fly to Vegas to get it.  (She lives in CA.) She wanted me to buy her old Lincoln, which needed work and which would cost me at least $1,000 to ship...I can get one locally (that doesn't have problems) for $2-3K.  She sold it to someone who moved out of state...and told them they can pay her off, but also told them she won't come after them if they don't make payments.  She's bought several old houses, and isn't very good on collecting the rent; now she wants to buy yet another house because her son is in prison, has five more years to go on his sentence, and she supposedly needs a place to store his motorcycle and two boats.  I suggested a storage unit, but she said they get broken into.  I'm really concerned about her...her actions don't make sense. Then the other day I got an email from her.  She had been telling me about a local character, a guy who goes around collecting bottles and cans for the deposit, adding she "supects he has a lot of money hidden somewhere."  Well, guess what?  She gave him my phone number and told me to expect a call, adding that he'll probably call from the local mini-mart because he doesn't have a phone!  What the heck is she thinking????  Am I the only one who thinks she's losing it?  

No special plans for the weekend.  My Cherish is still missing; she's a sweet, lovable girl, and I suspect the demon-neighbors are behind her disappearance; her sister, Trinity, is also a sweetheart, and lying on my arm right now.  So much sadness in this world...but I know one day soon, God will make all the wrongs right; that's what keeps me going...I know I'll have all my babies again.  Until then, I'm trying to not let any of the cats out, but some are ferals or just prefer to stay out all the time; I worry about them.

I was never one for window shopping - I just don't see the point.  If I go into a store I fully expect to find something I like and want to buy. Doesn't always happen, but more often than not I come home with something new.  LindaL, I like Beall's Outlet, but it's one of those stores where I usually eiher find nothing, or else seem to have hit it "just right."  I've been there twice this season, and am trying to avoid going back - there's absolutely nothing that I need, and I've found quite a bit from them.

Well, poor Autumn is sitting at my side; she hasn't had an outing in a few days.  Sillly dogs - they have their own little pool, which they ignore, but both she and Honeybun often jump into the fish pond to cool off.  (sigh)  Honeybun has come a long way from being afraid of the water, but I don't want them in there - several of the goldfish have died.

I think I'm going to make a quick run to Aldi - I need canned dog food, and theirs is the only one these spoiled brats like.  I also have to go to Tractor Supply for dog kibble; I don't want to face the stores on a holiday weekend. Not much food shopping to be done this month until I go to Trader Joe's in a week or two - I'm trying to make room in the freezer and use what I have.

Have a blessed day, everyone.

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon y'all Smiley Happy  Jean - I also have a hard time knowing what day of the week it is sometimes.  I had no problem when I was working and volunteering more, but now that I'm at home and my DH has an irregular work schedule, I find myself double-checking.  Oh, I wish I could go to Kentucky.  That's a state I haven't been to and would to see someday.  Karen and Rosa - sorry about how hard it is to adjust to the losses in your families.  Those anniversary-type dates, and the "new normal" must be tough.  Best wishes to you both.

Well, my kids' grand adventure to Europe has begun, and it did have it's share of hiccups already.  My kids are taking Metrolink into LA and then a bus to LAX.  (Nobody wants to drive a car into LAX). First, they bought the wrong tickets from the machine at Metrolink.  Oops.  Not too much harm done.  Then, they didn't get to the right track for their train, and they missed their train.  I had suggested we ask for directions, but they didn't want to, they thought they knew what they were doing.  Fortunately, I was still there, and we were able to get in the car and drive to another stop and they caught that train no problem.  Important lessons learned: leave early and give yourself plenty of time because mistakes can and do happen, always give yourself a money cushion so it's not a big deal if you wasted a little money on the wrong tickets, stick around to make sure somebody catches their train or flight because you never know what might happen, and don't be afraid to ask for directions or help.  The good thing is my kids kept their cool and now they're on their way!!!

I have no other plans for the day.  The past couple of days were rather stressful.  (I love my DD very much, but she's a procrastinator and I butted heads with her a bit over her choice of clothing for the vacation, and waiting till the last minute to pack.)  My goal today is to watch t.v. and got caught up on financial paperwork.  

Hope you all have a lovely day!  ~  Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

I have to agree with you Arlene.  It does sound like your friend is losing it.  Wonder if something has happened to her (stroke or something.)  Hope that guy doesn't call you, and she gets back on track.  

Good time for Mom to relax, Charlene.  Hope your kids have a wonderful trip and don't hesitate to ask for help/directions.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in the midst of reading a series of detective stories with a psychological thriller aspect set in England. I got the first one as one of those Amazon freebies, and I got hooked. The writing is very tight, explicit and the characterizations are very good. Like chips, these are so good that you can't stop with just one.

Although each can be read alone without reading the previous books, each does build upon the previous one as the characters get older and as they get older life's circumstances change, etc. I don't usually get hooked on a series of books such as these but they are excellent. The cost so far is cheaper than the cost of going to the city one time without buying anything there, so that is my indulgence this week.

PamFromCT--Thank you for your comments. I feel very positive and don't worry about the "what if's" until the known is determined. This year has been a medical challenge.

Linda--Enjoy the Army Band concert. You are so dedicated with your exercise.

Arlene--I really do think your friend has a problem and I hope you don't develop more problems because of her actions. Stores are to be avoided on holidays because of the congestion, etc.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Hello friends! Karen, i feel bad for you and your family. I know it must be rough. Tough. Hugs to you. I have, on occasion, written messages on or in helium balloons and released them to honor a loved one, and somehow finding little ways to incorporate then into a holiday was comforting to me

Jean, i keep you in my prayers as you wind your way through this health process and i pray that all is favorable for you, and many more vacations and travel plans. And checks in your future. ☺

Rosa, your weekend sounds lovely! I am so glad that you are so close to DS and his wife. I have many friends who's sings just don't keep in close contact.

Linda, out is very warm here to and i had no energy today. Good fit you fit being so vigilant with your exercise! !

I had a good time with oldest DD yesterday. Victoria's secret outlet had $8 bras so i got her several. Then we went to the amusement park for 3 hours. She is packing and declining and i did a good but of rearranging yesterday but today have no energy at all. I ran errands in Austin then came home fit a nap.

I did get our resumes done and sent a few out. Tomorrow will be off to the big anniversary prep with all my siblings. We have a nice bed and breakfast to stay at so i hope we have a good time. You know how families are - sometimes the most critical on earth.

Snicks, I'm glad you had such a good time with yours! ! Charlene, I'm missing my girl already and probably overly emotional. I'm glad your kids got off ok. Hugs to all that i missed!
Honored Contributor

Jean - ever since I read (what I could get free) about the KonMari method, I keep thinking, surround yourself with things that bring you joy Bernie.  When I put a positive spin on it like that I look around my house and I'm overwhelmed by the things that don't bring me any joy.  Actually I have things that mildly annoy me :-)

I used to tease my husband call him a pack rat.  He used to say he was a 'collector'.  When we bought our house (before we married) he learned, living with me meant whatever you collected had to be organized. 

He was in my life for 7 years.  He's been gone 8 1/2.  After he passed, I let my gut be my guide regarding donating things.  My local library has a small store that sells used books and dvds.  I donated many dvd collections that I bought him and figured it was a way of doing something in his name that benefitted others.  Same things with clothing.  These activities took a couple of years.  If I felt the least bit nervous about it, I knew I wasn't ready to do anything.

I have Pioneer and Kenwood stereo components that I don't know how to use.  The stereo was his and only he putzed with it.  I have a huge gorilla that he bought from FAO Schwarz that takes up 1/2 the loveseat.  Archie was bought years before I met DH.  Archie is cute, but really, why am I hanging onto a huge gorilla?

I kind of feel guilty writing this and am glad Archie can't read (lol). 

Sometimes I think - these things were important to him Bernie. 

He is important to you. 

On the other hand I think - these things pre-dated us, why are you hanging on to them?

Sorting through my items is just so much easier.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

LindaL - I'm sure more people will join the work out once the word gets out.  Have fun at the concert.

Arlene - about the only thing I can say about your friend is I'll pray for her.

Charlene - I'm not saying this to scare you or anything.  I hope the arrangements in Europe go smoother for your kids (lol).

Kathleen - sounds like you had a good time with DD and are off to a good time with family :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Bernie, I think all those thoughts and feelings are normal.  I think reading what little bit of that book - the what brings me a spark of joy thought - has helped me let go of some things.  It is interesting as I am trying to slowly move and integrate all our belongings from the RV back into the house - and DD is shifting through her things preparing for the big move.  I have decided to try to sell some things on the FB garage sale local page.  But our thrift pile is growing, and quite a haul.

I also attribute "feelings" to things, so each (clothes especially) item has a story "I wore that when _____"  and some things I feel badly because they are unwanted anymore.  DD just told me she took a picture of all her high school mums, then let them go.  I love to imagine my items finding their way to people who will really love them the way they deserve to be loved.