Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, JULY 12)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a beautiful sunny day. I just came in from trying to murder weeds that became very abundant during the recent rains. This is a never ending tast, enhanced by the reality that this brand is not as good as the one I used last year.

I came in and turned on the Q to watch SG and relax. I must say that the red top with huge floral print is a wee bit overwhelming. It just isn't my style; I may like floral prints at times but I have to watch the size of the print.

I ended my non-essential buying boycot. An Amazon seller had one of those 24 hour deals that was 30% off. It was an item I planned to buy for use on the plane for a long plane flight as it can be arranged to provide the needed support where you want your head placed. Those u-shaped things don't work for me. The reviews on this are very good, so I had planned to buy it in the future but the 30% off were magic words to me, and apparently to many as the item is now sold out. The scarf wraps the way you want it and as tight. It also has staves in it to provide support at the point it is needed.

trtl.JPG

I know it isn't a big fashion item but when dealing with long plane flights of over 16 hours when you have a history of not sleeping on planes, I consider this an investment in possible comfort and perhaps a few winks. The regular cost was around $30 but I paid a little over $19.

Yes, the decluttering process continues but it is a slow process. It didn't get that way overnight and won't disappear overnight. 

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely,

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, JULY 12)

[ Edited ]

Good Morning Jean @KonaKat  I'm glad you were able to get travel pillow at such a great discount.

I will be venturing into new DIY territory shortly. 

Many, many years ago my husband did something that was at it's core, a genius idea.  He didn't discuss it with me and should have, since strategic and forward thinking wasn't his strong suite.

My basement is walled off into 3 areas.  It's not a big basement - I have what I call a main room, laundry room and furnace room.  In the furnace room is the furnace of course, a few shelves, the water heater and a stand alone Kenmore freezer that the former owner left behind.  It's a functioning freezer, we just never ate that much to exceed the storage of a fridge.

Husband had a great quality Amsec safe that he decided to store in the stand alone freezer.  I went to work one day and when I came home, he said, there's something I need to show you.  He had poured concrete into this freezer (33 in high, 36 in wide and 27 in deep) and set in the safe. 

I can give testimony that quick-rete really is quick setting.

Now, had he brought this up with me I would have said, you're a genius, let's move the freezer in the main room of the basement and have at it.

As it is, I need a new furnace.  I've known for almost 5 years that the heat exchangers are going and last winter they clanged until I thought they were going to break.

I need to get that freezer out of the furnace room to allow the furnace people to do what they do.  It's full of concreteWoman Frustrated

I can't get a yahoo or response from people who would do this kind of work, so I've decided to do it myself.

I rented a Makita demolition hammer from the home depot this morning.  I researched this particular size (20 lbs) yesterday by reading reviews and watching youtube videos.

I rented it for a full week however I doubt I will need it that long.  Saying I keep it for a week, once I get my $50 deposit back, I shouldn't be out any more than $300.  I found concrete place not that far from me that will accept residential concrete, for a cost of $25.  Since I subscribe to recycling whenever possible, I'm okay with paying someone to take the concrete.  It beats renting a dumpster.  

I will probably need my sister's help to get the safe out as I think it's the model that weighs 90 lbs.  Then again, if I can find someone on a facebook group who wants to buy it, the stipulation will be the person has to come and get it, lol.  I'll make sure I price it low to get it the heck out of basement.  If worse comes to worse, I will freecycle it.

Once the freezer is empty, I will plug it in and make sure it works.  Then I will call the electric company since they promote recycling old appliances.  I think I will get a $25 credit on my bill which would offset the cost of recycling the concrete.  They will come and get it which solves the problem of what to do with the empty freezer Woman Very Happy

I have safety glasses, a face mask, hearing protection and leather gloves.  I've greased the bit and installed it.  I think I impressed the guy from home depot rental when I looked in the container and said where's the bit grease?  I learned that this morning online before I went to the store Woman LOL    

IMG_1682 (300x225).jpg

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  I liked the looks of your new pillow, but it is sold out now.  Maybe I will be able to purchase it in the future.  I do not find the "U" shaped pillows work for me, but I have a pillow you blow up that seems to work pretty well.. I used a similar pillow on our trip to Thailand and Cambodia many years ago, and I used the replacement on my last trip to Maryland. Definitely a need for a long trip in my opinion.

Good luck with your weed murdering.  I am not happy with the product I purchased last, but I can't bring myself to throw it out and use the better product.  

You continue to amaze me, Bernie.  What a wild story about the freezer and safe.  Hope it all works out for you, and you can get the new furnace before it is cold there.

It was pretty comfortable on my walk this morning (70's) -- a bit cloudy, but not bad.  We had a burst of very heavy rain (with thunder and lightening) yesterday afternoon, and the sidewalks were a bit hazardous in places this morning.  Lots of small stones washed down into the road and the sidewalks, and they can be slippery.  Fortunately, I was careful and did not fall.

DH was better yesterday -- more smiles and eye open more.  But, he seemed to have some sort of weird thing going on with his hands.  I have no clue about what is happening.

The lead caregiver in his "house" won the "Employee of the Month" Award, and I wanted to attend the celebration party in the afternoon.  Between the time I came home and went back, the very heavy rain happened.  And, when I went back, the celebration had already started despite me being early.  They decided not to have the celebration in DH's house since they did not want to expose the residents to all the rain, so she was just giving the residents some ice cream with Oreo cookies, and was feeding DH when I arrived.  I was disappointed for her, but she took it quite well.  The assistant caregiver took several pictures of the celebration, and she had already received flowers (sunflowers) and a certificate.  I heard (not sure) that they also give them a little money (not much).  She gave me some ice cream, and I shared it with DH.  So, he had plenty of ice cream yesterday.  That was good.

I plan to go to the gym this morning, and I'll probably go to the grocery before visiting DH.  Sort of debating the idea.  The hospice nurse is not planning to come today since she was there on Monday.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernie--I am super impressed! Concrete in a freezer? Thanks for the Quick-rete testimony, just in case it is needed. As for the rest of it, I wish you the best in your DIY effort. You are definitely energetic and know how to get things done!

Linda--I am also amazed with Bernie's efforts. She should start a biz, "I Am Woman: I Get It Done!" I'm sorry that the caregiver couldn't have the celebration as planned. It is good that DH was smiling and could enjoy the extra ice cream. I am with you on the weedkiller; since I bought the thing, I will use it but it isn't as good as what I used last year.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I know a couple peole like Bernie who when they need something done just do it - and I'm always amazed at y'alls fearlessness. Bernie I hope it all goes well for you!

Jean, I've seen that scarf locally here and was also intrigued.

Linda, I'm glad to hear DH seems happy. It sounded like you really enjoyed your trip. The Gkids are all so big now!

Steve and I are getting excited about moving. And really loving summer here.
Esteemed Contributor

Kathleen--Good to see you posting. I enjoy your pics and adventures via FB. I must have missed the fact that you are moving. Where and when? Inquiring minds want to know!!

I see a Christmas in July sale starts tomorrow and runs through Sunday.