Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, DEC. 3)

Good Morning Ladies! 

It is another chilly morning here in southern Arizona, but we are expecting warmer than normal highs today (70's) which pleases me.  Another thing that pleases me is that DH slept much better last night, and his time at the "club" yesterday went well.  The special toothpaste he needed was finally ready for pick-up, and much to my surprise, his health insurance covered most of the cost.  

The lawyer I visited yesterday was very nice, but he said that he was not an expert in tax laws, etc., and that is what we need.  So, now I'm trying to set up an appointment with a tax attorney.  Such a very complicated story.  I'm so angry at the estate guy who set this up.  The more I talk to others, the more I realize that he took advantage of DH only for his own profit.  I'm very disappointed/disillusioned.  I let DH's kids know what happened, and both are supportive.  They may need to get involved in this whole process, but we will see what happens.

I have a caregivers meeting today, and then DH has a podiatrist appointment. Hope to fit in some walking/exercise, but I doubt if I'll get much else accomplished.

Waves to Jean, Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Bernie, snicks, Susan, Marijane, LindaR, Barbara, Charlene, Rosa, Karen, pinky ann, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

Have a good day everyone, and post if you have a chance.

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, DEC. 3)

Thanks for getting us started LindaL - sorry about you having this legal hassle over the will/trust.  Hope there aren't any bad tax consequences.  One of my Grandma's had a rather large estate.  She did very good planning of her will/trust.  Before she died however, the govt changed the law a couple of times, and the way it worked out, the estate lost money by doing it her way.  Even when you do it right, sometimes it ends up wrong.  

I'm feeling down about the shooting in San Bernardino, CA.  I live about a 1 hour drive southeast of there.  The city has been struggling for quite some time.  Well, I pray for all the innocent people involved.

I got a little good deal on a Christmas item for my great nephew who is 7 years old.  Last year for Christmas he got a ton of toys from both sides of the family and it seemed like a waste to be honest. I wish I could give cash to save for college, but I know that his mother woud just spend it.  Hmm... So, I saw a Financial Peace Jr. kit on the Dave Ramsey website that looked interesting.  The deluxe kit comes with a 3-way piggy bank, with slots for spending/savings/giving.  It includes things like chore charts, and a set of books with money-related kids' stories.  Today is the day that item is marked down (kind-of like a one-time-only), so I purchased that.  I will read the books with him myself.  He may or may not become better with money than his mother is, but I'll feel better knowing that I tried.

I need to go feed all of our critters and get ready to attend Bible study.  It was nice having a week off for Thanksgiving, but then I get to missing the gals.  They're awfully nice.  Hope your Thursday is a good one!  ~  Charlene

Honored Contributor

Hello all, thanks for starting us off today LindaL, glad DH slept well last night and enjoyed his time at the club. So sorry about the way the estate guy left you in the lurch, hopefully you will soon have an actual tax attorney to get it all straightened out for you.

cerb, hope you enjoy bible study today. The gift for your great nephew sounds very interesting. The situation in SB is very sad, as are all of these incidents that seem to be happening more and more.

I finished addressing all my Christmas cards this morning, a project I started a couple days ago, lol, got about half in the mail and the others all need gift cards to go with them, so they will go in another day or two. Then went to visit my brother who lives about 30 miles away, we had a good visit, came home and cleaned the bathroom and was going to pick up a pile of leaves within the pool enclosure, but didn't, rofl. I see the city has now stuck little yellow flags all down the front of my yard so I suppose the destruction will start one day soon, ugh. I know the work needs done, but not looking forward to the mess and noise of it. Not much else going on here. Waves to all....

"To each their own, in all things".
Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Linda - Thank you for starting us today.  Glad DH slept well last night, I am sure you both benefited from that.  Sorry about the problems with the estate guy, it is sad you can not trust people to do the right thing.   Hope you get the help you need on that.

Charlene - Have fun feeding the critters, I know they get excited to see you come their way.  The bank and books sound like a good idea.  I know what you mean when you say the ton of toys the kids get seems like a waste.  I will spend more money on one or two things they really want, instead of buying a ton of little wasteful gifts just to look the the cool relative ( I see that happen every year).  Have a nice time at Bible Study.

Snicks - Good job on the Christmas cards, I have to do mine this weekend.  What are they going to do in front of your house, I must have missed that conversation. 

Well not much going on here, got the nieces their Christmas gifts and that is as far as I am for
Christmas shopping.  Not really in the spirit here.  I have to do some for DH, but have to wait until he goes hunting on Sat.   I need to get the basement swept, trying out my new Shark sweeper - Not too impressed on the job it did not the upstairs floor, still debating if I am keeping it. 

Everyone have a good evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Just FYI -- I was able to get an appointment with the local tax attorney next week -- very happy about that.

And, DGD received her TSV computer today -- I don't understand it since they said it was "in process" this morning, but it is good timing for her.

I thought the Dave Ramsey set looked like a great idea, Charlene.  I don't have any little ones in the family, and I think I would be overstepping to send it to DH's grands.  But, I did think about it.  The shootings were terrible.  I really wish these sorts of things didn't happen, but I have no clue how that can happen.

Good for you with the Christmas cards, snicks.  I purchased mine, but now to do a a list and actually mail them -- that will take a while.

Sorry to hear that the steamer didn't work as well as you would like, Susan.  I hope it does better in the basement.

I found out that our neighbor, Jeff, passed away on Monday.  Apparently, he went pretty quickly, and his children are having a hard time dealing with it.  They didn't live nearby, and they didn't realize that he was so ill.  No cause of death was identified as far as my neighbor knows.

The caregivers meeting was great.  A couple of ladies had put their loved ones in homes, and they are dealing with the transition.  And, a lady whose DH passed away came and talked to us -- nice to see her and hear how things are doing.  I did get some suggestions and heard others experiences with physical therapy, etc.  Not fun subjects, but I find it valuable to participate.

Honored Contributor

PAlady, they are replacing the water lines all along our street, they are very old and someone is always having a water line break, so it does need to be done.
LindaL, (hugs)
Honored Contributor

Hello all - another busy day on the job.

Glad that everyone seems to be maintaining.

I never did get my new driveway approach this season.  The construction company who built my street from the ground up and jacked up several folks driveway approaches.  I'm the only one who didn't get the repair, but that's okay.  I am not going anywhere (he he he) and the construction company will be pouring a new one in the spring.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Hello everyone! I got home from work around 5pm and then fixed some dinner and relaxed. I'm a little tired as the substitute system called me at 5am to sub. I subbed in the 3rd grade; I certainly have a diversity of grades and schools "under my belt." I work tomorrow and I'm definitely scheduled for four days next week and two days the week preceding Christmas break.

Linda--Thank you for starting the thread. I'm glad that you have found a lawyer qualified to help you with the tax issues. It is too bad that the individual you trusted did not do the job properly. It is so hard to know who to trust anymore.

Charlene--That is a neat idea for a gift and it is one that will keep on giving if the young ones learn how to manage money. Too many kids get overwhelmed with so many toys, etc. that they don't appreciate them or the money that they represent.

Snicks--Great job on addressing the Christmas cards. I have a cousin whose husband is a minister. Because she is recovering from a second battle with cancer, she has decided they have to cut down on the number of cards they send. Last year, they sent 200 cards. I find that very overwhelming.

Susan--Sorry the Shark isn't working out as good as you had hoped. Like you, I'm not in the Christmas spirit.

Bernie--Hope you get your new driveway approach eventually.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Valued Contributor

Hi Ladies, i've been busy like everyone else just getting what I can ready for the holidays. I have a  few cards to send, and I need to write and mail them. I also have two batches of cookies  to get ready to to freeze, and we'll be in good shape. We'll have family stay over the 23rd - the 24th, so I'd love to not be over tired while they're here. Not much else to write for now, but I wanted to stop in and say hello. Wishing everyone a good night, pinky

Honored Contributor

newsboy cap.jpgI must have lost my mind, but I just ordered this newsboy cap this evening. I do think it is very cute, but have never been big on wearing hats/caps of any type. I am determined to wear this thing, rofl. I had to order another pair of Levi's as I only have 3 pair that come close to fitting, and they are getting a little baggy on me. I want to make sure I have clean jeans to wear through the holiday season without having to constantly be doing laundry, so while I was at it, I just ordered the cap too. It was only $8, from JCP. Ok, go ahead...call me a nut case. lol