Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, DEC. 3)

Greetings, shopping friends. It is a nippy day but the positive is that there is no snow coming down. I know many enjoy it, and I agree it can be beautiful until it makes the roads dangerous. When you live in an area in which the roads don't have priority treatment, venturing out can be dangerous.

I really enjoyed watching Susan Graver today as I haven't watched it in some time as Thursdays have been work days until last week. I forgot it last week. There were many things I could have purchased but with the increasing prices, there is no rapid purchasing but time spent in consideration.

Price increase abound everywhere. My cable is going up $5 and my town service fee is also going up $5. By itself, $5 isn't an issue but all those $5 or more increases do add up. There is something I have been eyeing for months which remained the same cost but went up $20 in mid-November. Sounds like a $20 bill alert.

When on a fixed retirement, all these "little" increases eat away at the income.  I've been retired 20 years as I took early retirement because of health concerns at that time. I did one of those impact of inflation on income calculations. According to that calculator my retirement check now needs to be around $1,000 more a month now to have the same purchasing power it did 20 years ago.

We have no choice in being financially responsible but to look for values and cost effectiveness. Some items may seem expensive but last a long time which makes the cost per wearing or use acceptable compared to a cheap product that doesn't last long.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely. If you venture out, do so safely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, DEC. 3)

Hi Everyone!

It's cold and clear skies today. YIPPEE!!  The roads are clear but their are icy parts in the parking lots and driveways, etc. It needs to warm just a bit but slowly. 

KomKat--I have a similar line of thinking on the cost/budget issue. I always said to my son that "a buck is a buck". It all adds up by the end of the month and you can fall short so easily. It seems everything increases except for the net income. I keep a week by week tally of grocery costs. i think it's the only variable that a person has some control. Of course, that was before the pandemic.

The PW flowering catcus arrived today so I'm going to plant those and work on the indoor garden. After that, I will get the remaining 2 trees in their stands My two remaining prescriptions are finally ready for pick up which is on tomorrow's "to do list". 

I still have a few gifts and gift cards to purchase. I actually was a bit surprised that I'm running behind because I thought with the lockdowns, etc. that I would have been completely done with the holiday "to do list". Too many projects I suspect with just trying to keep busy until we are safe, healthy and back to normal.

I did watch the Q early this morning. I swear the NN down blanket they were showing was a Big Deal weeks ago. I got it in navy. It's very nice. I havne't seen too many versions of flameless candles and those that I have seem too expensive. Odd for this time of year. I don't need another candle but it's enjoyable to see the new versions.

Have a good afternoon/evening.

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fressa--I do hope the flowering cactus works out for you. You seem to have a great talent for gardening. I once did but lately my green thumb turned brown or black. I've given up on it. With the number of projects you have been doing, it would be easy to lose track of things like gift cards.

I was just reading TripAdvisor. I just wish the Covid  situation would get under control. I love to travel but I am getting at the age where it might be difficult. I guess I'll get used to looking around the house or short trips in the car.

I see that my Vera Bradley face mask has been sitting at UPS Mail Innovations in Virginia where it landed on Nov. 30 and is still there as of Dec. 3.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

just wondering who got removed from the thread 

I have been very anxious about flying to Mn..we need to hep,our eldest dd while she undergoes treatment for serious cetvical spine issues. So we have decided to drive...wil have to stay in motels for 2 nights but I am very into using lots of sanitizing wipes. We are bringing food with us.

I am looking forward to getting the vaccine.

As always, I read daily...and enjoy what everyone does.

jean, living in retirement makes one think twice. I am no longer buying anything from the q I prefer clothes from jjill. I am not buying any clothing for a long time. Everything else I get on Amazon...

Freesa..you are one very busy lady...I am becoming more limited in my activities because of my autoimmune issues.

Please be careful and stay healthy.

🥰🎄🥰🎄

Honored Contributor

I didn't see what was removed either Barbara @sydsgma1   Probably some unhappy person with a snotty comment, you know how it can be around here sometimes Woman Wink

I never did order that bracelet I was thinking about from Ross-Simons.  All I need to do is pick up a gift card for my sister.  I can go through Tim Horton's drive through for that.  I did online shopping and all that's left is the wrapping.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@sydsgma1 

Just one more thing..." - your favourite Columbo episodes | Steve Hoffman  Music Forums

Safe travels to you and your beloved as you make your way to MN.  I wouldn't have flown either Heart

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  You are so right about retirement income not keeping up with current expenses.  I have not been retired as long as you have, but it will be 14 years next month.  They provided an excellent pre-retirement seminar where they explained that many people do fine for the first 5-10 years of their retirement, but then inflation takes over.  Their point was not to "blow" all your retirement savings when you first retire unless you know that you will not be living for very long.  Sad thought, but true in several cases that I know.  It is definitely important to spend wisely, because there are many costs you can't control.

You are always so busy, Fressa.  I'm sure you will get all your shopping done in time for Christmas.  

Hi Barbara -- hope you have a safe trip home.  I am glad I didn't read the comment that was deleted since it would have probably upset me.

Guess that bracelet just wasn't meant to be for you, Bernie.  At least that is the way I think about it if I end up not purchasing something.  Like Jean, I have had things on my list here and on Amazon that suddenly go up in price, and that can make my decision not to purchase easy.

I thought about picking up my groceries at Wal Mart, but found there were no slots available today or at reasonable times tomorrow.  Due to the virus increase, I think I will get back into that habit in the future.  Anyway, I had to wait in a line outside of the store this morning, and then wait for a basket.  Not too long, but it was a surprise.  I could not find a few things on my list, and others were significantly higher in price.  But, they did have some toilet paper.  I didn't need any, but I was happy to see it back on the shelves.  But, cleaning products were very limited.

I did buy some things that were not urgently needed -- like flour and sugar that I thought would be good to have just in case they go missing again.  

My hospice supply deliveries went well -- not too many today, and I didn't have any problems finding the houses/facilities. It is chilly and extremely windy here today, so my hair is a wreck, but that is the way it goes. 

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda 

Esteemed Contributor

This is such a nice thread that I was surprised that someone had to get nasty.  I have been reading each night, but it's been a busy week.

The decorating is all done inside and we no longer do anything outside. Even the big tree was given away 4 years ago.

Sydsgma, I hope that you have a great time in MN.  I am enjoying the cooler weather.  Prayers for your DD for her upcoming surgery.  We will be getting the vaccine ASAP.  Right now I am trying to stay healthy as I am going to be getting my next shingles vaccine right after Christmas.

Yesterday, we went to a town 40 miles away to get some Christmas shopping done.  We bought our dgd a nice cookbook in the mini mall connected to Kohl's.  She is learning how to cook & is doing well with helping her Dad. She is doing hybrid classes which is working well.

Our eldest dgs is also learning to cook as he is in an Apt & can't eat in the college cafeteria as it's closed right now.  He is doing virtual classes and has semester exams in the next couple of weeks.  Our youngest dgs eats whatever they fix.  Lol.  He is also doing virtual classes.  

We have been going to the gym 4 days a week and it's been refreshing to get out of the house.  This morning,  we did our grocery shopping.  The prices are going up, but the shelves are nicely stocked.

Hugs to all of you 

Trusted Contributor

Good evening ladies, hope all is well.

Jean - Thank you for starting us today.  It was cold here today, but, no snow.  Actually our snow is melting.  I figure I have seen snow once this winter and that was more than enough.  Hope you like your Vera Bradley face mask they do have some pretty patterns.

Fressa - Like you, I am running behind on my gifts.  I am still waiting for a couple items for the GD's, and need to make sure I have enough for the nieces.  I am finishing my wrapping tomorrow and checking to make sure I have everything I need either here or on it's way.  Wish me luck.

Barbara - Have a safe and uneventful trip.  

Bernie - I liked the bracelet you were looking at, I am not sure if I would like the dangley things on the bracelet.  I would catch them on something and break the bracelet.  Hope you find something you like better.

Linda - Sorry you couldn't get a pick up time.  Around here you have to make an time slot 4-5 days in advance when the virus numbers are up.  

Our neighboring hospital had no beds available in the ICU now and the hospital had cancelled all elective surgery.  The numbers are getting crazy here.  I have a feeling DH and I will be spending Christmas by ourselves here this year.  

Well, off to watch some TV, have a good evening everyone.