Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, DEC 24)

Hi Everyone!

Well the snow turned to rain during the night. UGH!!! We have another winter storm watch in effect thru tomorrow night. It looks like another rain to snow situation which always brings the ice. I put the weather channel on last night and they showed some nasty storms in some other states. I like the snow and the cold but not the ice. Oh well.

Birdmama--I think this has certainly been an overwheling year on many fronts. Like you, we give to the local charites and we gave often. It seemed that we were getting multiple requests weekly. I had to give myself a budget for the charity donations so I could finally rest easy. 

LindaLatte--I saw MaryBeth in that Linea blazer and it caught my eye as well. It's such a nice plaid done well. I'm not a "plaid person" but Louis has a way with clothing. I refrained because I have plenty of clothes and don't require jackets these days.

It's so lucky that you found a handyman. There aren't too many of those around. We had a man years ago who liked challenging jobs (which seemed to be what we had...) He has long since retired but we sure miss his help with some of these "projects".

KomKat--Our covid numbers are rising daily as in many states. It was starting to "bother" me a bit because I try to be so careful with my what to avoid for my health issues. So much mixed information out there with what to do or not. Hopefully, the multiple vaccines will help with the case load and the New year will bring us back to a normal path of life. I hope these small businesses survive. They seem to get lost in the numbers.

Today I'm making the lasagne and doing a little dusting and cleaning the glass panels on door. I had to drop most of the extra cleaning off the list because the weather has given me a migraine. I'll get relief when it starts to snow. 

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, DEC 24)

Fressa--Thank you for starting the thread. Sorry your snow has turned to rain. Right now, we are waiting for the rain to change to snow with highway flash freezing warnings issued for travel time from work to home. Right now, there is a 20 degree temperature difference about three hours away.

I got a call that a prescription had been refilled, so I went to the drugstore to pick it up. I am ready to hibernate now and be safe from hazardous traffic conditions as well as the Covid threat. I'm just waiting for my turn for the vaccine. Because of my age and the fact I work in schools, I am high up on the priority list but below and first responders.

It is odd but our family always opened presents on Christmas Eve. We usually spent Christmas Day going to visit my brother and his family. Now, there is just me so it doesn't make any difference as to when I open presents. My niece who often travels with me always works holidays so that others can spend that day with family. We usually pick a day to get together. 

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Fressa, I am sorry that your snow turned to rain. I am a snow person too and we got 8" of the beautiful fluffy stuff last week.  It's been a mild week so we only have snow around the edges of our corner lot.  Your lasagna sounds awesome.  I made lasagna a few years ago for my family Christmas lunch and it was a big hit.  Last year we had 🍕🍕🍕 delivered to the house and it was a big hit too.  This year  it's only going to be the two of us.  

Bird Mama, your post from yesterday brought tears to my eyes.  We donate to a lot of different local org., but there is still such a need for more. 

I felt guilty about getting our free drive thru lunch at KFC last Sunday.  That extra $$ went to my hair stylist on Monday when I got my haircut  & we will doing a drive thru lunch favor next week.  

Yesterday my bf from HS came to town to buy a bunch of gift cards  so I called in a carry out lunch from Chop Sticks and surprised her.  We hadn't seen each other for about 7 weeks.  It's easy to safe distance in our house and after eating  our masks went back on.

It's getting colder so the hot tub felt good.  

We have been to the gym twice this week and I am trying to watch what I eat over the holidays.  I have lab/Dr. 6 month checkups next month.

After lunch, I will be making our favorite peach jello salad & a pumpkin pie dessert that we like.  Tomorrow I am going to fix a ham and scalloped potatoes.  It will be a good meal for a cold day.

I am going to get my  next shingles vaccine on Saturday.  The first one was free of any bad side effects, so I am praying for the same this time.

it's lunch time.

Merry Christmas to all of you & a blessed New Year.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Fressa.  Sorry about your weather and migraine.  Hope you can get things done and enjoy the holiday. 

Hi Jean.  We always opened our gifts on Christmas morning, but in later years, we were allowed to open one present the night before.  It has been many years since I have been to a family Christmas celebration, but I do have mostly fond memories.  My SIL is having her first Christmas without getting together with family, and she is very sad.  But, they are having a Zoom celebration Christmas evening.

I am sorry you found yourself so overwhelmed yesterday, Bernie.  I usually can keep it together, but things have been so difficult lately.  The thought of people going hungry, not having adequate shelter, etc., really gets to me.  Like you, I donate as much as possible, but there is so much need.

Sounds like you are set for a nice Christmas with your DH, Glenda.  Glad you and your friend were able to get together, and you were able to go to the gym.  Good luck with the shingles shot.  I had a pretty bad reaction to the first one, but the second one wasn't too bad.

I did go to the grocery store yesterday, and it was crowded.  But, I was able to keep my distance and used self check-out.  Happy that I was able to get the ingredients for my special Christmas meal (Italian crepes with asparagus and ham in a light cheese sauce).  I ended up buying some frozen lasagna because Fressa had triggered a strong desire for it.  Not sure when I will have it, but maybe on Saturday.

Yesterday afternoon they had a neighborhood sing-along of Christmas music, and it was outdoors.  I really don't like singing with a mask on, but it was fun, if a little chilly. 

Much to my delight, my DGD has set up a Zoom Christmas "meeting" tomorrow morning.  And, I have a Zoom Christmas Eve service to attend this afternoon.

DD still has not received the Christmas card and a gift I sent quite a while ago, but maybe today.  If not, I know she will understand.  I did receive my First Aid TSV yesterday, which was fast.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Merry Christmas to all who celebrate!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

stopping by to wish everyone here a very Merry Christmas. It is quite beautiful here with a fresh snowfall of about 9 inches. 

our celebration will be just the 2 of us and m and Sydnie. We had a great zoom family early Christmas last Saturday.

may you all have a blessed Christmas.🎄🎄🎄

Honored Contributor

Hello hello and Merry Christmas Eve Woman Very Happy  I finally wrapped my sisters presents and tried to stick them under my tree.  I more or less crammed my tree into a corner of the family room that was large enough to accommodate the tree - presents are another matter.  She dropped off her gifts meant for me last weekend because she'll be hauling food tomorrow.

I saw this photo online and thought wow can you imagine walking in the woods and coming across a tree like this?  It's like the faeries decorated it in the middle of nowhere.

First Day of Fall Semester - Like Christmas Morning! - Moved and Shaken!

Nothing says Christmas like watching a series of Prom Night slasher movies on Comet TV Woman LOL  That's what's playing in the background on both TVs in my house.

This has been one heck of a year and I'm truly grateful that the daily and weekly shopaholics are all here to talk about it - no joke.

Re: opening Christmas presents.  Ma used to allow us to open one on Christmas eve and it was usually the pajamas or slippers.  We'd go to midnight Mass and then open the rest on Christmas Day.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Jean, its good that you were able to get your rx before the nasty weather comes your way. I am glad that you will be able to get your vaccination soon.    Hibernating sounds like a good idea.     We always opened one gift on Christmas Eve and the rest on Christmas Day.  

Linda, whenever we have to go to Wal-Mart, we use the self checkout.  It's so much quicker. The sing a long sounded like fun & done in a responsible way.  Our ds & ddil received their cheese gift in 3 days & it was sent from the cheese factory.  The card and $$ that was sent the next day and hadn't been delivered yesterday.  Your Christmas meal sounds great.  

Sydsgma, we got 8" of snow last week, which is about gone.   Even though we love snow, it's a good thing we bought a new snow blower in October.  Enjoy your small quiet Christmas too.  We are having a nice quiet  lunch here too.  It's better to be safe than sorry. 

This is the first time in our 50 years of marriage that we are going to be alone for Christmas.  Actually it's the first time that either of us has not been with our families for Christmas.  We will certainly be remembering the Reason for the Season.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, we were posting at the same time .  Beautiful picture in the woods.  Have fun with your sister.  I am so grateful for the Shopoholics too.  It keeps me sane.  Although we have a lot to be thankful for, I can't wait to usher in 2021.  The plans have been made.  

Glenda