Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, DEC. 15)

Good morning, shopping friends. The wind chill is zero and the temp in the living room is currently 65 so the heat should automatically kick on soon as it is set at 67. I'm trying to get used to lower temps so the heating bill doesn't increase too much.

I got my Social Security cost of living increase notice. Bottom line is that the net amount is exactly the same as last year. In the meantime, the cost of utililities has taken a rate increase for next year and cable is increasing due to networks requiring higher subscriber fees from the cable company.So much for the cost of living increase.

For any of you liking Dooney's, if you go to Brads Deals there is a link to theI Love Dooney site as well as a code that will get you a Dooney Leather Tote and Pouch, originally $358, for $99.

We have talked about decluttering and getting rid of things we don't love via the Japanese method. This link talks about applying the concept to cleaning out your wardrobe and the lessons you can learn during the process: https://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/konmari-method-frugal-tips

I don't expect any more packages to arrive other than my Amazon Subscribe and Save, as well as an item to use in home application of my physical therapy exercises.  I'll be off in this horrible cold to go to physical therapy at Noon.

I'm sending my WEN mini-perfume samplet of seasonal scents back. They didn't wow me when first tried. I do use the 613 scent and like it plus I received a Michael Kors EDP as an early gift which I like very much.I practiced the "love it or send it back" principle on the mini-EDP sampler.

The Feds are increasing the interest rates so if anyone is carrying a balance on their cards, especially store cards with their higher than average interest rates, this is a motivator to reduce any unnecessary spending.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely one day at a time.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, DEC. 15)

Hi everybody,

Image result for almost done christmas shopping images

Esteemed Contributor

meallen--Thanks for the graphic! I'm more than ready for Christmas...and then the New Year with promises of "New Year New You."

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Jean, it is cold here too, but sunny so it's nice in the house.  We set the thermostat at 68° for day & it programs down to 64° during the night.  At 7:30 it is starts going back up to 68°.  That social security raise is a laugh as everything else went up a lot.  I remember when my DH retired 14 years ago, we could easily live off of the CD interest along with his pension.  Now we can't buy a cheap burger.

Meallen, I have the shopping done & 1/2 of the gifts wrapped. The decorating was done weeks ago.  I just have to clean house before next Saturday as we are hosting Christmas Eve lunch here.

DH & I went to see our favorite little band yesterday.  I wrapped 1/2 of the gifts & will finish wrapping the rest after lunch.

I had a restless night as a gal that I used to work with called me last night & said she hasn't been feeling well since we had lunch out 3 weeks ago.  After many tests,  labs, etc.  she has a cancerous mass on her right kidney & is scheduled for right kidney removal next Tuesday.  She is faithful in the Lord, but still is shocked with the news.  We are having breakfast out on Saturday & she is treating me with her booster bucks.  She works where I used to work & gets lots of them.  I will be buying cheese & sausage for my cheese/sausage tray for Christmas.  Her name is Rhonda & she would welcome prayers.

I am staying in today & making chili for supper.  We are having a snowstorm tomorrow & Saturday.  Like last week so manageable.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--So sorry about your friend. Prayers, of coure, are in order. People who don't save up big money for retirement may be in for a shock if they are relying upon the retirement check and Social Secuity. My state retirement is fixed and does not change. I could draw it for 40 years and it will be the same amount as Day One of receiving the first check.

I am finishing an early lunch and will be out the door soon for the trip to the city and physical therapy, I also need copies of some keys made. I gave copies to friends just in case they would need to get in the house. Now, they don't know where the keys are. I guess more than ten years can make the memory foggy about where they put the key. I may have the locks changed when the weather gets good.....what seems to be a thousand days away. Do I like Winter?

Trusted Contributor

Good morning friends! - Jean - I just finished reading the article that you posted a link for.  Good and encouraging information there.  Your wind chill is zero?  BRRR!  Hope your trip to the city for PT goes smoothly and you're not too tired afterwards.  When I first logged on to the forums here, I saw other posters discussing the cost of living increase, and how it's not nearly enough to keep up with inflation.  It's another reason why all of us need to be very thoughtful with the purchases we make.  (My DH and I are still 10 years away from social security, but I make sure we max out our Roth IRAs each year.)  Your reminder of the upcoming "New Year, New You" make me smile.  I forgot that QVC uses that phrase at the beginning of each new year, lol.  meallen - love your graphics.  twinny - so sorry to hear about your friend Rhonda.  Will pray for her.  Hope you enjoy wrapping Christmas gifts today.  I did most of my wrapping last week while watching Hallmark Christmas movies that I had recorded.  

My DS finally came home from college last night and we enjoyed Skyping with his sister till quite late in the evening.   Now I need to put some last minute touches on my house, as I have a couple of friends coming over in the afternoon for tea and cookies.  They want to see how I decorate my home for Christmas, and I haven't finished decorating yet, lol.  

Hope you all have a great day!  ~  Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, good luck with your PT today.  My DH 's pension is a little more now as our supplementary insurance is a bit cheaper than his  Frito Lay insurance, but we all know that can change in a heartbeat too.  When he was still working, his boss & his wife never saved a thing with 2 full-time paychecks.  YIKES.  I'll take your cold weather & exchange it for hot weather.  I would love 6 months of winter & 6 months of fall.  lol.

It looks beautiful outside with snow & no wind.  Hot tub time after lunch.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

CERB, Thank you for your prayers.  How fun to do tea & cookies with friends.  My mom was a tea drinker & so is my mil.  Mom used to put on some nice tea parties, as lots of ladies from our church were fascinated with her being born in London.  How nice to Skype with your DD until she gets home for Christmas.  I did less decorating this year, but it still looks nice.

Trusted Contributor

Good morning ladies - it's a balmy 20 degrees and windy today.  However, this is one of our warmest days in the last week and one-half.  Saturday our high is forecasted to be -4.  This weather has put a halt on shopping for me, it's just too cold to go outside.

Next week, we will be warming up, so I will be running around town everyday, to get everything finished up for Christmas.  I have food ordered from restaurants to pick up, still need many items for cooking and have several gifts to purchase.  Hope to get it all wrapped by Saturday, 12/24.  If I don't get it done, they'll go under the tree in the boxes - oh my!!  Wish me luck.

@KonaKat  all the reports I've read from folks have been no change.  One thing is up and the other is down, so no additional monies coming in.  We hope to wait with SS until my DH is 70.  The whole process seems scary, not sure where it is headed.

Interesting website - bradsdeals, I'll have to check it out.

Our heat is set at 73, and I'm still walking around with sweaters on, rubbing my hands together.  I do not like super cold weather.

It's never a good thing to carry balances on CCs; if you can avoid that rat race, it's best to do so.

New year, new you - always sounds good, but isn't all that easy for me.

Many folks don't get a retirement check these days, if they aren't saving somewhere - yikes.

Stray keys out there, a bit scary for sure.

@meallen616  Cute pic., I wish I was.

@twinny70  Nice you could listen to your favorite band yesterday.  I'm sorry to hear about your friend, God bless her through this difficult time.  How scary that is.  Prayers going out to Rhonda, indeed.Heart

I bought Hickory Farms - cheese, sausage and crackers from our local grocery store and served it a couple of weeks back.  Everyone loved it.

We have a winter storm starting tonight for Friday and part of Saturday, too.  You must live in the midwest.  Hopefully, we don't get much snow.  So far this season, we have had little more than a dusting.

@cerb  Good job on the Roth IRAs - that money will always help.  I've told our DSs, do both kinds of IRAs.  Wish we had done that.  Our tax-free will have to come from our dividends, I guess.  

Kiddos coming home from college, love it.  Enjoy your visit with them.

Tea and cookies sounds lovely, how fun.  Have a great time.

@twinny70  You're making me colder, just talking about 6 months of winter, brrrrrrrr.  Yes, the folks that didn't save with 2 full-time checks, wonder who they think will cover their obligations??

We have a couple of lights strung on the front porch and a bare tree (so far) in the house.  I'd say we have a bit more to do.

Have a lovely day all.  Stay safe and warm.  Enjoy all the visiting with family and friends, this time is special and will be over before we know it.

Our youngsters will be coming next week and staying through New Year's Day, so excited.  Although, I should have an additional fridge brought in for our groceries - ha.

Keep those CCs hidden from sight.  Mine is tied and zipped up.

God bless you all.

Esteemed Contributor

3suwm5, It sounds like you will be busy next week.  We live in S. WI & had our first accumulating snow fall last week.  They were saying 4-8" yesterday now it might be more, starting tomorrow & ending sometime on Saturday.    I need to get groceries tomorrow, but no other shopping as I am trying to avoid crowds.  I need to be healthy for next Saturday.  We have both kinds of IRA's, but I was forced to leave my job at 53 due to illness.  My DH took early retirement at 55 to take care of me.  Thus, he took SS at age 62.  My medical expenses were huge & it has been a blessing to us many different ways.

We plan go to our DGD's band concert next Tuesday.  She is 11 so just beginning.  Our eldest DGC will be taking his driving test in January.  Our DD said that they don't get driver's ed in school like our DC did & it cost $450.00 for his lessons. YIKES.    I am so glad that we are not raising children now days.  The 3 DGC are our well earned  gifts from Heaven.