Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, AUGUST 3)

Good Morning/Afternoon and Happy Birthday to Nancy.

The weather was pretty nice when I started walk this morning, but it got a little warm/hot by the end.  They are predicting drier weather and higher temperatures, particularly next week.  Guess we will reach 100 degrees again.  I guess I should not complain because that sort of weather is pretty normal for southern Arizona.  .I am amazed at the weather in the Pacific Northwest.  Our news people we quick to note that the high temperature in Seattle was 10 degrees more than that here.  And, it was even hotter in Oregon.  Last year at this time I was in Oregon on my Road Scholar trip.  There were some hot days, but nothing like what they are having now.

Thanks Jean for all the Fitbit information. I really enjoy learning about new features like that, and I never really paid attention to the heart rate numbers.  Very interesting.  Sorry if this was boring to those of you who do not own a Fitbit.

Thanks also to Charlene for your advice about how to deal with DH's caregivers, etc.  I am fortunate that he is in hospice, because they really pay attention to those sorts of sores.  The wonderful hospice caregiver is seeing DH five days a week, and I trust her to keep me and the hospice nurse informed.  The nurse should be visiting DH this afternoon, and I'll discuss this with her, including the idea of moving him to different positions.  Thanks again.

Today is a big "caregivers group" day -- lunch, meeting, and then coffee after the meeting.  We have a very early lunch, so no time to go to the gym.  While I get up early enough to go to the gym early, it is very crowded in the early morning.  I understand that people wait for the doors to open at 5:30 a.m.  That is a bit much for me.  I really prefer to exercise later in the day, or at least later in the morning.  I know that is weird, but I used to exercise after work and in the evenings rather than in the morning.

Not sure if the TSV is a good idea, but since I have the gym, I'll not be purchasing.  Tomorrow's Fall fashion day may be more of a temptation, but we will see.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day, and please post if you have a chance.

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, AUGUST 3)

Hi Linda and all who follow - glad that you've had a respite from the super hot weather.  We've had some overcast days and even a light rain.  It's a nice change of pace for us.  Hope you enjoy your caregiver's lunch today.

Just a FASHION note...the other day I was walking into a store (Marshall's to be exact) and 2 other middle-aged women were walking in at the same time.  All 3 of us were wearing capris.  It made me laugh.  Almost ever year at this time there is a thread here about how carpis are considered outdated and ugly and should never be worn.  Well, when you live in a place that's over 100 degrees for most of the summer and you're older and don't have nice-looking legs...what else are you going to wear?  Absolutely no one would want to see me in a pair of shorts, and while I might wear skirts to church, I don't want to wear them all around town.  Just a musing on my part.

I had a productive chore day yesterday, and even made progress altering some Susan Graver tank tops that were too baggy in the armpit area.  Today I am going to run some errands.  More of my contentedly boring life, lol.

Hope you all have a blessed day!  ~  Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

I am totally with you on the capris.  I wear them much of the time for at least five months out of the year.  I switch to skirts and/or long pants on occasion.  Shorts are reserved for in-house use.  

Honored Contributor

Hi ladies, 

Went to the doctor this morning for my three month checkup. He said, see you in three months, so I was thrilled. I had already gone for mammo, gyno visit, and, a Lexiscan. Stopped by Walgreen's and CVS and then home for lunch. They say the weather is going to get stormy like yesterday. Everybody stay safe!

Image result for thursday friend images

Trusted Contributor

Good morning all.  It is still in the 50's here and almost lunchtime.  We will be in the 70's on and off for days, they say.  It is, indeed, a really nice change.  We've had many 90's this summer.

@LindaLatte  I'm sorry to hear of the challenges for your DH.  I do hope they can find some things to change, for his improvement.

As for the FitBit - I heard on a business channel this am, that their stock price is down 80%.  To me, it sounds like that phase was here and is gone for now.

5:30 am for exercise, I'm just rolling over for a few more hours of sleep - yikes.

@cerb  I wear capris most of the summer, sometimes ankle pants.  It depends how much time I will be in A/C.  They won't be going out of style for this 60+ year old anytime soon.  I think the folks that say they are out of style, don't have the need for capris.

Your life sounds like mine and I think it is just fine.  We all know, it surely could be a great deal worse.  Today - exercise and look at the laundry pile.  Figure out a dinner menu.  Get the mail....uneventful and that's alright by me.

@meallen616  Sounds like a good checkup and that's terrific, good for you.  I know how that makes us feel, I did the 3 month, 6 month etc., as well.  It gets better with time and that's what we pray for on a daily basis.  As DV would say, do the happy dance.Smiley Happy

Stormy weather coming our way tomorrow, they say.  Stay safe today.

Cute pic.

Have a wonderful Thursday everyone.  Keep those CCs low key, mine is invisible today - ha.

Super Contributor

Lindalatte, 

Please make sure that you stay on top of the staff re: bed sores they can be very dangerous if they get out of control. The staff should already know that he shouldn't be sitting all day. Immobile patients should rotate positions every 2 hours at the minimum.

Honored Contributor

Hello all, I've been busy at work today since I hit the door.  We got a downpour as I was leaving yesterday.  Crossing the street was like crossing a river.  I laughed and tried not to ruin my espadrilles.

My new Lucky Brand shabooties arrived - they are winners.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Linda L, I am glad that your temps aren't so hot right now.   Enjoy your caregivers lunch. My 2nd cousin & her DH are taking a Rhode Scholars trip over Labor Day to see bears & whales somewhere in the NW.  I am also praying for your DH's bed sores to get better soon.

3suwm5, I wear Capri's most of the summer & my white & dark denim shorts when it is too hot for me.  They are just above my knees & I am in my 60's too.

CERB, we had a nice rain while I was having lunch with a friend.  They say upper 60's tomorrow & then about 10 days of 70's & off & on rain.  I am loving the cooler temps.  Fall is my favorite time of the year.

Meallen, glad that your Dr. visit was a good one.  I had my mammo 2 weeks ago & all is well there.  I haven't heard of a Lexiscan.  Is it for an AI disorder?  I have CIDP & thank God that I am able to get out of bed & walk each morning.  16 year's ago  I wasn't that lucky.

I had a productive night last night.  I put 6 purses, 3 tops & 2 pairs of shoes into a donation bag & will be taking them to St. Vincent's tomorrow.  Now I can shop guilt free in September at the qvc outlet store on our way home from our 3 week trip to the East Coast .  I also through  out 3 suitcases/ bags that haven't been used for a few years.

Today I took my walk later this morning & then met a friend for lunch at Chopsticks.  Supper will be fresh fruit & some tomatoes that I just picked.

My DH will be getting home this evening.  I hope that he is having a good time at the ballpark with his brother's.  Last night his team got beat, but so far this afternoon they are ahead.

I am still counting my blessings that nobody was hurt yesterday when a lady slammed her car right into the restaurant wall while we were eating breakfast.  I am amazed that the window didn't break & cut people from the glass shards.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Just a quick update -- fortunately, DH does not have "bed sores", just a rash.  I will find out more when I see the hospice nurse in a little while.  But, I texted her earlier saying I wanted to talk about his sores, and she said it is just a rash -- whew!   To be clear, the caregiver did not call them "bed sores", but I thought that was what she meant when she said he had something on his rear, and the Hospice caregiver had seen it as well.  The hospice nurse is on the lookout for this problem, and I just jumped to that conclusion.  

Thanks again for all your concern/advice.  

Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte  I'm glad the skin irritation is not severe.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise