Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, AUG 23)

[ Edited ]

Good morning, shopping friends. We have sunshine today but with lower than normal temps. The sunshine, however, is a welcomed contrast to all the Summer of Rain as I call it.

I understand Bernie has a birthday. We wish her a most happy day! 

birthday.png

I checked my order status and see that the white gold TSV earrings that I ordered that  went  600 miles south are now about 600 miles north of that point in an adjoining state. The SG top I ordered on clearance that was in stock when I ordered yesterday is now showing as "backordered."  I don't think it will materialize but it was a great bargain and in a color I needed and was an item  I had ordered last year in another color and liked.

Right now, I'm watching the Weather Channel and its coverage of the hurricane threat to Hawaii. It is a place that will always occupy a place in my heart.

I chatted with a lady who worked in the school system but left to work for one of the pipeline companies. In three months this Summer, she earned as much as she did in a full year of working in  the school system.  She also said the retirement benefits were better but she has to be willing to move with the work. We are having revovling positions as people leave to work for the pipeline jobs in this state and adjoining states. The family had a vacation camper so she is using it to relocate on the various jobs. The children are all grown and gone, and her husband also works away so she has the flexibility to do this. What is she doing? Driving a flatbed truck that carries parts and equipement.

The job I had as a sub for tomorrow has been cancelled, so hopefully another one will materialize. In the meantime, I will be doing odds and ends around the house.

If you are facing stressors, hang in there. As bad as we think an event may be, it can make us stronger. After the rain, there can be rainbows!

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, AUG 23)

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Glad you are having sun, and hope it warms up a bit.  I think it might be slightly cooler than normal here, but still acceptable (low 90's I think).  Yesterday afternoon we had lightening, thunder, etc., but no rain.  It did result in the pools being closed when I was hoping to swim, however.  There is a chance of rain again today, and i'm hoping it does not interfere with my driving up to meet the financial guy this afternoon.  Sometimes the rain can be so heavy that driving on the highway is dangerous.

Interesting story about the former school system employee.  It is great that she can take advantage of more lucrative employment.  When you say pipeline do you mean oil pipeline?  Just curious.

That is weird about your earring order.  They really need to straighten out their shipping.  I had ordered some IM jeans on a very special price, and it took quite a while for them to arrive.  The package said that it had been opened and re-sealed by the Post Office.  Fortunately, the jeans look fine.

Happy Birthday to Bernie.  Your first retirement birthday -- hope it is fun.

DH's DD called me yesterday evening, and I feel more prepared to talk to the financial guy.  This is just a free introductory meeting, but I want to be as prepared as possible.  Hope that it will work out.

So, last night I woke up at 4:00 a.m. with yet another worry.  The screen door that I ordered lacked important pieces, and the handyman took it back to Home Depot, and got a different one.  The new door didn't fit well, but he said he would come back and make modifications after he gets back from a short trip.  I thought about it quite a bit, and I decided there is nothing he could do to make this door one I would like.  It is flimsy and the hardware is ridiculously cheap.  So, I got out of bed and sent him an e-mail saying as much.  I would rather have no screen door at all than have this one.  If I do find a door that works, I'm sure it will not be inexpensive.  And, I'm not sure that I want to spend the money at this time.  On and on my brain goes.  LOL  I really did not get much sleep after 4:00 a.m. as a result.

I normally go to the gym on Thursday, but I'm thinking of postponing that until tomorrow when I don't have any appointments scheduled.  It was nice on my walk -- not hot or cold.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day!  Again, Happy Birthday, Bernie!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I am glad that you enjoyed your walk. I agree that it is better to cancel a door that will require modifications that will continue to make it unsatisfactory. It seems that nighttime is when unfinished business occupies our thoughts. I do hope the financial planning meeting goes well.  i have had a package to arrive at the Post Office at which time the Post Office closed it  and attached a notice that it had arrived opened.

As to the indivivdual working on pipeline, it is a gas pipeline. We also have a major gas pipeline going through the northern part of our county which has created many jobs but the better ones were already held by people previously working for the company. It will create some tax revenue for our county as a compressor station is being built here.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Thank you all for the birthday greetings Heart

Jean @KonaKat  your earrings are seeing more of the country than I have, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Birdmama.

Enjoy,

http://freeecards.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/happy-birthday-bernie.jpg

Honored Contributor

Hi Linda @LindaLatte  I'm glad you feel a bit better about talking to the financial guy.  Sorry about the screen door.  If the first screen door lacked important pieces can you exchange it for the same one that includes the important pieces this time?

I wouldn't settle for a cheap, ill fitting screen door either.

Honored Contributor

I just spent 45 minutes talking with Paul fom a local HVAC company that I had put on my list of those I would want an estimate from.  Wow, I think I butchered that sentence, lol.

Anyway, the AFUE regulations proposed by the DOE for northern states were put on hold indefinitely so I can still buy an 80% AFUE furnace that vents through my chimney.  The new furnace and AC that I would buy would still be an improvement from an energy efficiency standpoint. 

I told Paul that he had given me one of the best birthday presents that I could have asked for Woman LOL  

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Bernie -- He already returned the first door, and I will be getting a credit for it.  Then, he bought the second door (I paid over the phone).  Then he drilled holes, etc. into the second door so I am sure it cannot be returned.  The only positive thing I can say is that the second door was less expensive than the first, so I will lose less money on it.  But, still a big hassle, etc.  Very nice man, but I think he was over his head on this project.  

Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies, Happy Birthday Bernie,hope you have a great one.

Looks like,so far, the weather guys are right on target with the beautiful weather tnru thenweekemd.  SOme are even going out  on a limb as to saying next week may get back into the 90's.

I think last night I had a Skunk convention going on outside my family room window.  WHen the smell died down I went out to check,outside lights all on,flashlight in hand ,stomping around to wake the dead but I could see nothing.  CAme back in sat back down to continue watching my Yankee game and there they were again.  I finally went upstairs.  I hope they have moved on tonight.  

Not much else going on.....have a nice day everyone.   M arijane 

Honored Contributor

@Genny1  I think something scared the skunk that was walking alongside my house (neighbor's driveway side) because the smell that permeated into the basement nearly knocked me out.  It took days to air out the basement.

They leave a gift that just keeps on giving Woman Very Happy