Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURS, OCT. 14)

[ Edited ]

Greetings, shopping friends. I returned home yesterday evening, driving 485 miles yesterday with a one hourch break and a mid-morning brief break and a mid-afternoon brief break. It was a beautiful day for a drive, a contrast to the rain on the day we left on the trip--rain and fog were companions then.

The break was good but I am back into realtiy of making sure things are taken care of should the surgery continue on schedule today. The hospital's social services department called today to go over things. At that time, I was reminded that Covid numbers were still high so the possibility still existed that the surgery would be delayed if a hospital room would not be available because of Covid hospitalizations.

I have a new cell phone awaiting me at the Post Office. I could have gotten it from Amazon but Consumer Cellular had it for the same price. I didn't take the service plan but still could.  I have rarely misused or dropped a phone, but accidents to happen. I have had this one for over three years without a problem until the charging issue starterd, and even using a new charger and cord did not resolve the problem. I guess it is possible something is loose inside the charging portal. I don't look forward to transferring the info from my old phone.

I did see the TSV presented earlier. I think I will pass. It is time to do some more work around the house. I have to go to the city tomorrow for a haircut and Walmart grocery pickup. I will go back and read the posts I missed while gone later today.

Have a good day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURS, OCT. 14)

KomKat---I'm glad you had such a nice trip. It's always good to have a breather before a medical procedure IMO.  It sounds like you hit the ground running with errands and fianl prep for your surgery. 

We replaced our phones late last year. I think it was at least 5 years since we've had phones. I just don't like spending so much $ on a phone. Once we are both retired then we plan on purchasing from one of the other companies like Consumer Celluar or Trackfone,etc. It has to be more budget friendly than the iphone. Trying to find an Oterbox case for the phone is another experience that I won't miss. This year's model does not have any protection over the phone front. ??? That's my rant on phones. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

It's predicted to be in the high 80's today but the temps are still in the 70's. It's been overcast but hopefully the rain will miss us. The dogs let me sleep until their normal time so I feel like a human today. LOL  

The new version of the Comfy caught the hubby's eye so I ordered one for each of us. It will be a quick and easy wrap for potty calls during the cooler and wet weather. I may order another one for a Christmas present for one of the family. I have to admit that it does make me a bit nervous to shop ahead for the holidays so early but if it saves that gift buying panic then it will be worth it. I only hope that the status of goods is being portrayed as truthful and not exaggerated. Better safe to be somewhat prepared..I guess. 

I finally purchased batteries yesterday so the remaining window candles are in place. The first step before the serious holiday/seasonal decorating begins. I am scaling back (my version) but I sure have a thing for multiple trees. My hope is to start before Thanksgiving this year so I can pace myself a bit better. Fingers crossed. 

I'm taking a mini break from peeling wallpaper and may declutter a closet today or it might be cleaning. Yesterday I cleaned the wrought iron scroll railing that is on the staircase and upper floor. It's really pretty with all this scroll work and mixed diamond pattern but it's time consuming to get in all the nooks and crannies. I sure know how to have fun around here. ha ha!!

I received the Ryka fur lined slipper/shoes yesterday! That delivery was less than a week. They fit and feel great. I think I may wear them for grocery shopping. That will be the true test.

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, your road trip sounded nice.  This is my favorite time of the year for traveling.  Thank goodness the 80's are a thing of the past.  It's been a rainy week, but the sunshine put me into high gear today.

Fressa, I think that it's a good idea to start your Christmas shopping early so you can enjoy your decorating.  We just have our dc and dgc.  Our 2 dg's are both in college and like a gift card for clothes from American Eagle and $$$.  I am never sure what to get our 16 year old dgd.  She likes boots and $$$.  

I recovered nicely from my infusion on Monday.  I haven't done my walk this week, but we did manage to get to the gym Wednesday and yesterday.

It was grocery shopping day this morning.  The stores were well stocked.  Then I went to Farm and Fleet and bought a small  squeegee.  It's the best thing ever.   I hung 2 loads of laundry out this morning and then washed all of the windows on the main floor except for the two in my sewing room.  After lunch  we washed the picture.  We have a large telescoping squeege and a long handled brush.  Thank goodness.  

Now I am going to take it easy and read a book on the front porch. My dh is mowing the lawn.  He thought he was done with that job 3 weeks ago,  but the rainy weather had a mind of it's own.  So far, we have gotten 3" of rain this week & more on the way.

I have my yearly checkup with my neurologist on Monday and then we are going to see our dd & dgd for dinner.  It's just a short drive.  On Tuesday, we are going on a road trip up to the Rib Mountain area.  We have 2 guests coming on Wednesday night and leaving on Thursday morning.  If we have any energy left we want to go on a road trip to La Crosse and down along the Mississippi River on Friday.  The weather is supposed to be nice all next week and the leaves should be beautiful.

No news from my brother, so I hope it's a good news.

Supper is meatloaf and acorn squash.

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Honored Contributor

Jean glad you had a nice trip and made it home safely.  Given the microchip shortages everyone seems to be reporting it's good to have the new phone.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Twinny70---I'm glad that your infusion went well. It sounds like you have a busy week planned. Take advantage of the good weather now. You never know when the rainy season or worse is around the corner. That's what I try to remember. 

I didn't do any grocery shopping this week but I was there twice last week. I try to plan it around my prescription pickups but it doesn't always work. Today I planned on another rund of orders for the dog food and treats. I had just checked the websites last week and everything was fully stocked. Well, a different story today. I ordered a small 5lb box of biscuits (treats) and 1 bag of chow. Lots of items were out of stock especially the big buckets of dog treats. (that's the size I get for our two---the savings is great)  I have my fingers crossed that I don't have to switch flavors. It was a bit of a challenge to find a healthy dog food flavor that they both could eat and not have problems. UGH!! I could kick myself I didn't order last week.  

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Glad you had a nice trip, and made it home safely.  DD had a signing (real estate) this morning (two hourse from where she lives), and she said it was very foggy on the way there.  Not fun driving.  Hope your surgery will not be delayed, and you like your new phone.  

Hi Fressa.  Glad you like your new Ryka's, and got the batteries you wanted.  I purchased something like the TSV for my DGD last year, and I know she enjoyed it.  Not sure it is practical for me, but I did ask DD if DGD would like a new one.  The zipper seems like an improvement.  Sorry about the prices/availability going up on food and treats for your dogs.  I find it pretty frustrating when items that I purchased many times in the past are not available.  Guess we just have to live with it, but....

So sorry to hear about your brother's illness, Glenda.  Hopefully, all is well, and he will be back at work soon.  Thank goodness they found it early.  Glad your infusion went well, and you have some nice trips, etc., planned.  

The new landscaper came this morning, and I like him very much.  Hope that his estimate will be reasonable.  Meanwhile, still no roofers.  

I am back from the grocery store(s), and waiting to hear from the hospice volunteer coordinator about the supplies, etc.  It was cool this morning, but warmer than yesterday (low 40's today).  Fortunately, I was able to get some rest last night, and still no reaction to the COVID booster except for a sore arm.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Fressa, we don't have any pets, so it's been pretty easy for us to do our grocery shopping.  We have been enjoying a lot of strawberries & blueberries.  Those we will miss the most.

Linda L when I saw my nurse on Monday, the first question she asked me was "did we get our flu shots yet." I told her that we were going to get them on Tuesday.  She said that the flu will be bad this year & to get the flu shots before we get the booster.  Our regular pharmacy was out so we went on wait list.  Walgreens only did wait list.  I called our clinic and got on the wait list for next Saturday.  Then I thought about Wal-Mart. They said walk ins were welcome.  Off we went. We got the 65+ one & other than a slightly sore arm for one day we are fine. Then I had to cancel our wait list appts.  In the next couple of weeks, we hope to get the Booster shot.  She also said not to go to any large indoor gatherings, busy restaurants & to stay away from unvaccinated people for the time being.

That's why we want to do a lot of outdoor activities in the next couple of weeks before it gets too cold for outside fun.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

Hi Everyone!

It's predicted to be in the high 80's today but the temps are still in the 70's. It's been overcast but hopefully the rain will miss us. The dogs let me sleep until their normal time so I feel like a human today. LOL  

The new version of the Comfy caught the hubby's eye so I ordered one for each of us. It will be a quick and easy wrap for potty calls during the cooler and wet weather. I may order another one for a Christmas present for one of the family. I have to admit that it does make me a bit nervous to shop ahead for the holidays so early but if it saves that gift buying panic then it will be worth it. I only hope that the status of goods is being portrayed as truthful and not exaggerated. Better safe to be somewhat prepared..I guess. 

I finally purchased batteries yesterday so the remaining window candles are in place. The first step before the serious holiday/seasonal decorating begins. I am scaling back (my version) but I sure have a thing for multiple trees. My hope is to start before Thanksgiving this year so I can pace myself a bit better. Fingers crossed. 

I'm taking a mini break from peeling wallpaper and may declutter a closet today or it might be cleaning. Yesterday I cleaned the wrought iron scroll railing that is on the staircase and upper floor. It's really pretty with all this scroll work and mixed diamond pattern but it's time consuming to get in all the nooks and crannies. I sure know how to have fun around here. ha ha!!

I received the Ryka fur lined slipper/shoes yesterday! That delivery was less than a week. They fit and feel great. I think I may wear them for grocery shopping. That will be the true test.

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Fressa, those Ryka's looked very nice and comfy, but by the time I saw the presentation, my size was sold out.  

Esteemed Contributor

Glad you got your flu shots, Glenda.  I got mine the day I returned from my trip.  No reactions to the shot, but probably not the best timing since I overdid it and couldn't sleep that night.  It was just walk-in for me.  DD and my DGD had to make an appointment for theirs -- next Tuesday for them.