Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURS, MAY 14)

Hello, shopping friends. It is a dreary, overcast day but at least it is beginning to warm up. I'm watching Susan Graver as I haven't seen it lately. The rising prices are definitely encouraging me not to buy, especially when I don't need any new clothes when not going anywhere.

I paid some bills this morning. Afterwards I realized my appointment to schedule the cystoscopy for the bladder and cancer checkup  needed to be rescheduled. I can't do it and the rotator cuff surgery at the same time because of limitations. That appointment is now rescheduled to August 31. This is going to be a fun Summer but since I'm not going anywhere and stuck at home, this is an ideal time to get it done.

I need to go to the drugstore and pick up a refill but will wait until the atternoon to ennsure all mail is up at the Post Office. I don't make extra runs if I don't have to. In addition, I am getting things ready for me to handle daily living after the surgery. It is good that I can rely upon popping a meal in the microwave.

In our state, we have exceeded the national average in percentage of population being tested for the virus but in terms of the cumiulative percentage of positive results, we have only a 2.10% positive test result compared to the national rate of 14.11% for positive test results. We have begun opening up but the figures are being watched carefully with restrictions to begin again if the positive test results go over 3%.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely....,and be safe.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURS, MAY 14)

Hi Everyone!

We are expecting severe thunderstorns with high winds today and maybe tomorrow. YUK!!  On the up side, I won't have to worry about watering the gardens, I did water the few plants that are next to the house in the patio area. That may be the extent of my outside activities for today. LOL

I still have on my "to do" list --grocery shopping and replenishing the battery supply for the house.  I decided to put off the banking for this week.  At the last minute I signed up for the extended warranty for wear and tear items on the Subaru. Since I don't drive the car as much as when I worked I find that I need to adjust the "normal" maintainence schedule somewhat. I'm still tweaking that a bit but thought the extended warranty might be useful. At the very least, we will know what to do when we have to replace my husband's Subaru next year. We are a Subaru loving family. I swear by these vehicles.

I received an email that the Hallmark store near us is opening on the 15th. Retailers are opening at a snail's pace in our state due to our governor. I wish the hair salons and restaurants would open and now. He's still holding them to take out and closed. That's my rant for this morning.

Well.....just when I think I've seen all the strange wildlife for suburb life I received an alert that we have a black bear/s (maybe 2) sighting in our area. WHAT???? Now....where did they come from? They have to be missing from the zoo because we are not in bear country. Honestly, we see more wildlife around here than we did at Dad's ranch out west. The strongest repellent I have on hand is Raid Wasp & Hornet spray. I'm not sure that will help me in this situation. ha ha !!!

Stay safe & comfy

Have a good afternoon/evening.

KomKat---Glad you were able to get your medical procedures scheduled. I've been dragging my feet on that. It sounds like you will be in decent shape withll meals ready. Do you have a list of wellness callers lined up? I've done that with my bff and dil during this virus "thing". Just a thought--but will you have to notify the post office to hold your mail during your recovery time? I'll keep you in my thoughts that you have a speedy recovery. 

Esteemed Contributor

Fressa--Thank you for the suggestions. All has been taken care of, but the biggest problem will be finding someone to drive me to appointments in the city. It is located in an area of several casees, so some have quit going there. I've been there only for the WalMart grocery pickup and no contact, and then my hair and nails after the shops were allowed to open provided temperature checks of customers were made. Whoever takes me will have to be prepared to sit in the car as non-patients are not permitted in as of now.

We have bears out at times when they get hungry and are foraging for food. It is amazing how brave they can be. I hope your rains let up. Ours has just stopped with the sunshine coming out.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

KomKat--I'm not sure this will help you but AARP had some type of valet/mini bus service when my mom was still independent. I think Medicare might have something. Not sure but trying to test my memory from when I was at the lab last. Our health insurance has a number to call for additional services. Perhaps your insurance has the same. It is not a feature that they seem to advertise. Good Luck.  

Esteemed Contributor

Fressa--Those services are not available in my area. When I was in the hospital and came home, Home Health Care services were available in the city in which the hospital was located but not in my rural area. Humana Medicare did send a supply of shelf stable entrees, bread, and dry milk in lieu of the other services. 

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon.  Glad you got things set up for your medical procedure, Jean.  Also glad you learned some more information about the manicure, etc.  Transportation to and from the hospital and medical appointments can be an issue when you live alone. There is a very nice volunteer organization in our area that will provide rides from volunteer drivers to medical appointments, but they are not always available.  Hopefully, you will be able to arrange for rides.

It is cloudy here, and it was actually cool on my walk this morning (not Glenda cool, but Linda cool).  I was sorry that I didn't have a light jacket with me.  They are predicting a high of 87 today, and it has already warmed up to 75 degrees.

Hi Fressa.  Hope the bears don't bother you, and the storms don't cause any problems.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  

I contacted my financial manager via e-mail yesterday, and she called me on the phone.  We had a very nice talk -- I really like her.  It was her first day back into the office, and she wasn't used to wearing regular shoes after several weeks of working at home in flip flops.  She also didn't wear makeup at home unless there was a video meeting.  She is in OK.

Yesterday, I also participated in a Zoom video meeting with my church that was good and bad.  One of the participants (who I vaguely know from OLLI) came on to say that he was no longer participating since he was very angry at what was happening in the world and feared that the actions of others might kill him.  That took my breath away for a while.  

Today's audiologist visit was a surprise.  I thought that he was going to connect my new cell phone to the hearing aids -- I had already downloaded the app for the hearing aids, but didn't know how to do all the features.  He worked on it quite a bit, and some features worked, but not the feature that allowed my cell phone to come through my hearing aids.  He called the company, and they told him that I needed a newer version of the phone.  He was pretty angry since before they told him that the reconditioned Galaxy S8 that I purchased was fine.  Long story short, he is contacting his representative at the company and is sure he will be able to get me a free dongle.  I certainly am not willing to buy another phone, and I am disappointed.  Oh well....

Like Glenda and her husband, I have decided to shift my grocery shopping day to Thursday, and I plan to go there right after I finish this message.

Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well. 

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, it's a drizzly morning after having thunderstorms last night and more on the way.  My DH was happy to fill up his ice cream pails.  He has several areas of new grass to water.  2.10% pos. test results is great news.  Good luck with your upcoming surgery and recuperation.

fressa, Bears?  Last spring when we were traveling through Gatlinburg, we saw a Mama bear busily eating off of bushes while her two babies were romping around.  Some idiot with a tripod camera, stopped right in the middle of the 2 lane road.  We were a few cars behind her with the windows up, because the bear was about a yard stick away from us.  We had a 2015 Subaru Forester and traded it for a 2020 Subaru Forester Sport and love it as much as we did the other one.  An extended warranty is a good idea imo.  You never know when you might need it.

Linda L, this will be our last day of upper 60's.  Then we are in for at least a weeks worth of 70's-80-s.  Some sunny days with a bit of rain sprinkled in.  A surprise from your audiologist is not a good thing.  Hopefully he can figure things out for you.  Thursday morning earlier seems to be a good time for us to go grocery shopping.  Not very busy at any of the three grocery stores that we went to & got most of everything that was on the list.

Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday was a busy day getting the utility/laundry room clean, organized and decluttered.  We have a few things to take to St. Vincent's as soon as they reopen.  We

When my DH was out for his walk yesterday, he saw two guys cutting down a tree two blocks from our house, so he asked them to stop by and look at the Red Maple.  It needs to have a few branches cut off.  They said that they would drop by after lunch.  We are still waiting for a response or another phone call.

We did a grocery shopping run this morning  so I hope that I don't have to go out again for another week.

Our shutdown that was supposed to take effect until May 26th was overturned by our WI Supreme Court yesterday. Very disappointing to me, because any business can reopen with no plans on how to proceed.  Our Gov just said that it looks like the "Wild West. " I am still going to self distance, wear a mask & avoid any places that aren't essential for me.  We have 33 cases of the virus in our county.  Mostly from a cheese pkg facility in our hometown.  They have been doing a lot of testing, so those numbers could change at any time.  

It thought it was Friday and I was trying to figure out where we should go to a drive thru restaurant for supper.  Then my DH reminded me that it's Thursday.  Darn.  I am still not used to getting groceries on Thursday.

I have no big plans today other than doing Nothing.

Hugs to all of you.

Honored Contributor

Hello all, my toasters shipped from Wayfair yesterday within a couple of hours of me placing the order.  We had some rain today so I will definitely be cutting grass this week.

Glenda @twinny70   I was disappointed for your governor.  I believe the same thing (lawsuit from legislators) happened to my governor and the hearing is tomorrow (I think).

At this point of the pandemic, I have no patience whatsoever for people who are screaming for businesses to be open for the principal of it.  By that I mean I am sympathetic to people who need to make a living and a way in life for their family.  All the others who are screaming because this is boring or inconvenient, go at it, have a great time.

It's a personal thing and each person has to decide if the reward is worth the risk.  Since me and mine are like minded on wanting to be cautious (thank goodness) if folks wanna get out there and get sick go right ahead, just don't get on the news wailing about your state failing you.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--It is a difficult time for all, but I think some are using the situation just as a vehicle or means to complain because of nothing else to do. It is an individual decision but I saw some of those people celebrating and they definitely were not socially distancing. We are gradually opening but our governor said today that he would not hesitate to close things down again if the rate of positive testing increased above 3% and for people to enjoy their increaasing freedom they would have to continue social distancing, wearing masks, etc. as much as possible to keep the rate of infection down.