Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURS, JULY 9)

[ Edited ]

Greetings, shopping friends. I am watching my favorite hour other than AM Style--Susan Graver. I missed the first half as I was outside killing weeds with the Roundup Extreme I purchased this morning. What I used before I had surgery certainly didn't last long, so I'm trying this version. Although more expensive, it supposedly will control the little "darlings" for 4 months.

I'm definitely out of shape. I spent 45 minutes applying the weed and grass killer, but had to stop for what I thought would be a break. I am getting a little light headed, so with the temps headed to possibility of triple digits this afternoon, I think I will wait until another day to finish the job as it is only half done. They just issued a warning to stay inside in cool and be hydrated with lower 100s expected.

I need to do a review of the first half of the SG show as what I'm seeing so far isn't grabbing me..,..and that is good., It saves money for Fall Fashions, provided I can get out and do things once Fall comes. Our state was doing so well confining the virus but with the Spring breaks to the beaches, especially Myrtle, many of those people going there have brought it back., It isn't the beach that is the problem, it is the relaxed standards of people who choose to congregate together not knowing who is a carrier. We have three counties with a dramatic increase in which contact tracing shows the Myrtle Beach connection.

One of the reasons I got out yesterday for that extended drive was a concern that this might end up with things being too dangerous to get out much. I think Glenda expressed the same concern as we both have  health issues.  Our state is now requiring masks inside buildings or places where social distancing is not possible.

Oh, I love that red Liquid Knit 3/4 sleeve cardigan. Temptation! I have a similar one of hers in black and wear it often.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely...and if you venture out, do it safely.  

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURS, JULY 9)

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  I like Susan Graver and have lots of her clothing.  I also have several of her items on my "wishlist", but I am trying to be sensible given my lack of activity outside the home.  If I were going on the two trips I had planned (England and Scotland plus Utah), I would be buying another liquid knit top for sure, and perhaps a pair of the luster knit pants.  Also, I liquid knit cardigan.   

Sorry you were light headed when doing your weed killing.  I think the heat and humidity probably have a lot to do with it.  While I really prefer hot weather to cold, I find my energy level is diminished these days.  Not looking forward to the excessive heat predicted for this weekend. 

I think everyone has heard about Arizona being a virus hotspot.  It is much worse in the Phoenix area, but this county is having issues as well.  The hospitals are really filling up, and some COVID patients are being moved to Phoenix and even other States for treatment.  I understand the Governor will be speaking today, and I hope that more restrictions are in the future since things are so out of hand. 

I heard that my friend Tina has Stage 4 inoperable cancer.  Very sad.

Yesterday, I talked with one of my friends who had loaned me a book.  Anyway, she is 86 or 87, and has had some health issues.  But, she told me that she is hiking three hours a day in the desert -- doesn't see anyone else most days.  I lost some sleep worrying about her falling or getting dehydrated with no one around.  I did e-mail her today suggesting that she be careful.

I plan to go to two grocery stores this morning, and I have the last OLLI class about London this afternoon.  I am happy with my haircut, and the stylist and I had a nice talk.  She is being very careful with sanitizing, etc.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day and stays safe.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--The fact that I am not traveling either definitely has stopped me from purchasing SG. Her items are so great for travel and they can be washed "on the road" if necessary as I did a top in a hotel bathroom when I spilled something on it. I'm not working now so I don't need anything new.

I can't imagine someone in their mid 80s hiking in the desert. I certainly hope she takes care, stays hydrated, and is always a cell signal away from help, and not in a dead zone.

Glad you are happy with your haircut. Mine is scheduled for Saturday of next week. I just hope  there is not another shut down as I missed my hair appointment on the shutdown in March. Had the appointment been one day earlier, I would have spent the time growing out freshly cut hair instead of adding to already too long hair.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

It's in the 90's today and some thunderstorms. I'm hoping it rains enough to water the gardens. Yesterday, it didin't so I was outside in the evening with the hose.  I'd rather have it storm during the day so I can keep an eye on the drains and comfort the dogs. All of the lawns have browned becaue of the heat. It seems like we are all having similar weather. I'm hoping the sun and heat kill the virus.Crossing my fingers .

Today I washed the big comforter on the sofa that I use for the dogs. That seemed to work better time wise than squeezing it in on laundry day. I have some bills to pay and some  misc. paperwork to sort through. That stack seems to accumulate overnight. I have a few orders to place on line for dog chow and supplies and a few coupons. YIPPEE! I think I'll do my addtional banking tomorrow as well as running the Dyson. I am trying to pace myself to give my body a bit of a recovery from the a/c "mess". It seems to be doing the job on the upper level. The lower level is slightly warm even with the Dyson fan but I'm giving that time. I think I need to adjust to the house since the repair and try to remember how it was before it broke. I'm sure it will be fine, If not, then I'll just purchase another fan for down there. 

I didn't see any QVC today or last night. So far I've only been tempted by a tree and I think that's a "no". I could use a few sleeveless tops but with shipping so slow I can't justify taking a chance I'll get the use from them this year. I'm sure I'll find clothes that I forgot about once I get that closet room completed. I take it one day at a time with not purchasing and I think it will be a good pace to keep me on budget. 

Glad everyone had good haircuts and drives. It is nice just to drive around the block these days. At some point we will go back to normal. There still seems to be enough "stuff" to keep us busy in between.

Stay safe & comdy.

Have a good afternoon/evening. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jean, we were under a heat advisory yesterday and there's no end in sight for a break in the weather.  We are supposed to be getting thunderstorms this afternoon/evening. This pandemic is driving me nuts.  It's too bad that your area is getting more cases from other people not doing what they should be doing.  I hope that you are feeling better from doing things outdoors.

Linda L, I am so sorry to hear about your friend Tina.  I have a few SG items that I really like, but D. & Co.  is usually my go to.  I can't even imagine hiking in a desert when it's so beastly hot.  Last September when we were traveling around NM, we went to White Sands Nat'l Park which was so beautiful, but we just did the driving tour.  It was way too hot for us to even get out and go on foot.  There were lots of warnings about having enough water etc.  

fressa,  I hope that you will be happy with your new A/C when things finally cool down.  I don't do anything outside except first thing in the morning.  

My DH had his teeth cleaned early this morning & then we got groceries on the way back into town.  Most people wore a mask, but not all of them did.  

I hung out a large load of laundry right before lunch and it's drying nicely.  No big plans for today except enjoying a good book in an A/C house.  

I did get an email this morning from our pastor saying that his fil is testing positive for the virus again.  He was exposed to the virus from a church friend a few weeks ago.  His friend passed away last night, so this has really shook them all up.

Tomorrow, we are going to our banks drive thru customer appreciation day for lunch.  

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Fressa--It may be the hot weather that is tempting you with sleeveless tops. As cute as they may be, you are right about the current delivery times. If it takes as long as my Stan Herman robe to arrive, you will have forgotten what colors, etc. you ordered unless having your memory refreshed by looking at the order status when you want to see if it has shipped. I really hope the AC begins to meet your needs. 

Glenda--The problem with this pandemic is that we know very little about , but the long term effects on those who get it, its ability to mutate, and the apparent ability of people who have had it to possibly get it again. Australia had it under control but now one of its states is on lockdown again. The only people allowed to enter Australia are its citizens, so it is thought some returning from another country did not quarantine the way they should have, thus starting it up again--a little like the people from our state whose contact tracing shows their activities and contacts at the beach were their undoing. We have no idea how long this will last or in what form, etc. You enjoy travel like I do, so the form that will take is in question. 

I spent the afternoon resting and reading. I went outside to see how my weed treatment is working, and apparently it is. I was out long enough to know that I didn't want to do anything outside. We may have a cooler weekend but the prediction is that some days next week will be hotter than today. I think I heard on the news this morning that this is the hottest  year on record so far. 

I did see the SunJo battery operated trimmer on clearance and was tempted. Mine is slightly bigger, heavier, and requires an electrical cord. Not dealing with a cord is very tempting when trimming the shrubber.

Respected Contributor

Hi ladies, haven't came by in a long time but happened to be perusing today!

I had to comment on the A/C Unit. I too had that problem about six-years ago. We replaced a/c - furnace unit and when I got home the night after the install and saw the invoice I immediately knew it was too small. They replaced a 3 ton unit with a 2.5 ton unit. It was weather like we are having now all over and we couldn't get it below 80.

I called mulitple times and placed mulitple service calls the following five-years. I ended up putting in a small window a/c in the dining room....called the company one last time and said I contacted the AG's Office ..little bluff but did some looking online that I had x number of years to contest issues with a contract that I have previously complained about. I am tired of paying extra electric to run an ac with a brand new unit. I know it is undersized. I know the previous one was three-ton and on the invoice where we ordered just said replace furnace/a/c unit with the brand...said nothing about size. I FIGURED they knew what they were doing. I went on line and took our square footage and it said 3 ton unit. why oh why the guy went lower is beyond me. It was like $650 difference and we would not of had any issue with it.

The company sent out a Regional Manager as I went thru Home Depot and they subcontract. The guy was there 20-min and it was hot that day and I had the window unit running and he said after dimensions that you were correct the unit is undersized from the beginning. We will correct it. Two weeks later they replaced it with a Three-Ton Unit and sure enough that was the issue. No charge of course as i had paid that amount on service calls...on having a new unit recharged etc..

I just wanted to make you aware that YOU know if it is undersized and it should handle the heat. Heat rises yes but they have ducts for that purpose. Do not settle if you are not comfortable...and cool enough. You paid a lot of money for that Unit...and you should be 100% satisfied and cool! Do not let them convince you otherwise!

Took me five-years but they did do the right thing.

Good Luck.

Glad to see everybody else is hanging in there with this virus going on..take care

Esteemed Contributor

Coupon Queen: Thank you so much for responding to our situation. That is information that id did not know. I checked the model # of the new and old units and they were both 3 ton. My one concern was "energy efficient" and "silent running" could equal to requiring a larger unit. (I was equating it to the washer/dryer energy efficient replacement where not it takes 45 minutes instead of 20 to wash/dry a load of clothes) 

The air coming thru the ducks wasn't even a breeze it was like exhaust. It is finally functioning but we do believe that the duct work should have been replaced. The one installer mentioned the difference in size. It was the owner of the company that gave us the quote and the units to be replaced. We figure we'll have to replace the entire system in 5 years because of the 2 pieces that didn't need replaced currently. I am still rather upset over the entire situation so I may take your advice and pursue it further once my health issues get under control. 

Again, thank you for all the information. I appreciate it very much. 

Esteemed Contributor

Coupon Queen: Thank you so much for responding to our situation. That is information that id did not know. I checked the model # of the new and old units and they were both 3 ton. My one concern was "energy efficient" and "silent running" could equal to requiring a larger unit. (I was equating it to the washer/dryer energy efficient replacement where not it takes 45 minutes instead of 20 to wash/dry a load of clothes) 

The air coming thru the ducks wasn't even a breeze it was like exhaust. It is finally functioning but we do believe that the duct work should have been replaced. The one installer mentioned the difference in size. It was the owner of the company that gave us the quote and the units to be replaced. We figure we'll have to replace the entire system in 5 years because of the 2 pieces that didn't need replaced currently. I am still rather upset over the entire situation so I may take your advice and pursue it further once my health issues get under control. 

Again, thank you for all the if