Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURS, JULY 16)

Greetings, shopping friends. I took advantage of the early morning cool temp of 78 to spend an hour picking up and bagging the trimmings from the one set of shrubs. Now that has been done, I can see that I need to fine tune the trimming. An hour was more than enough as when I was finished my heart rate had doubled, and I was getting dizzy. I retreated to the house to relax.

I watched part of the SG show and really liked two pair of pants she showed. I didn't like the price but everything is going up. I've been on a fixed retirement for around 20 years. I did one of those inflation calculator things and plugged in my retirement of 20 years ago to see what it should be now in order to have the same purchasing power.

Basically that check needs to be about a $1,000 more a month in order to have the same purchasing power it did 20 years ago. This is one reason I liked to work; it gave me the money to do things, and Covid-19 took that away at the end of March. Time will tell if I will be working again.

I guess I can dream of having some new pants when I don't really need them, but the reality is that I have to watch the finances now. Also, there is no place I need to go that requires new clothing updates. 

I hope each of you is having a great day. If you shop, shop wisely; if you venture out do so safely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURS, JULY 16)

Hi Everyone!

The forecast today is heavy rain and tornado watch. It's also in the low 90's. UGH!!!!!  My knees and migraine tell me that they are correctthis time. They keep uping the start time of the storm so I have decided to stay home and do the groceries tomorrow.

Since my husband brought home all the extra computer equipment and office files I thought I should do more Lysol wiping around the house. I did all his office "stuff" but then my mind started to race about germs. and I decided that all the doorknobs and railings ,etc. should get another Lysol wipe. Since I can smell Lysol now I figure it's safe to put that in the cabinet for a week. 

KomKat: I love reading your money cautions. That retirement calculator that you use is exactly what I need. Your words of caution remind me that I need to be selective on what I order. It is such a help. I fear that the grocery prices will continue to climb as the utilites always do. I always want to be prepared for an emergency and lately I'm thinking that the emergency may be more than one situation. Thank you.

I actually got outside yesterday afternoon to water. (I know it wasn't the best time but that's when I had the energy) I noticed that I need to do some serious weeding in them. I have that on my "to do" list when the temps drop into the low 80's. 

Tonight I'm making bow tie pasta with broccoli in a butter & parmesean sauce. Trying to get a veggie into the hubby. LOL Just like my boys ---if I put cheese or butter on it then it was off their plate. He's a meat & cheese guy. I'm a salad & veggie girl. Dinners can get fairly creative. ha ha!!!

Stay safe & comfy.

Have a good afternoon/evening.     

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fressie--You are so dedicated in getting that office equipment germ free. It is something we all need to do, but  perhaps slack off at times. The pasta with broccoli in sauce sounds good. I enjoy broccoli but only when it is in a sauce and doesn't need a saw to cut it.

I am concerned about our society and the impact of the virus. I feel many did not take it seriously at first, and many still don't. We have people in our area that believe all those Covid deaths were the result of some other cause. 

I know it is hard to know what to believe but I would think it would be better to believe a scientist than a beer drinking red-neck who posts his theories on FB. We all want to exercise our rights but with each right comes the responsibility of not interfering with someone else's rights. A person with a compromised immune system should not live in fear and have to stay at home because a non--mask wearing person coughs or sneezes their heads off and spread germs their way.

The mask catches the germs of the person wearing it when he or she sneezes. Such a small thing to help our society, but many refuse to wear a mask because it violates their freedom and right to choose. That individual is thinking only of him or herself and not others.

I went to the drugstore and dropped almost $50 in co-pays. That could almost buy a pair of SG or QF pants, but required needs come first. Everyone in the drugstore was wearing a mask. It took the Gov to mandate it before people in large numbers began to wear masks. I have a compromised system, so I am very careful right now.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

This was posted regarding the layoffs and changes at the Q:

You may have heard that QVC recently transitioned QVC2 to all re-aired and previously recorded programming. With that, I am sharing the bittersweet news that I am leaving QVC.

Please know how very thankful I am for allowing me to spend time with you. The last 18 years have been a dream come true for me and I owe it all to you!

I will miss you so very much!! I hope you’ll continue to follow me at Antonella M Nester on Facebook. And I hope we can remain friends and family.

Xo

Honored Contributor

Oh no, I need to go find the layoff thread Woman Sad

Not too much going on with me.  We had a power outage yesterday for a few hours so I did all of the pruning (shrubs/trees) that I planned to do this weekend.

We got rain today and my bank account thanks Mother Nature.

Belated birthday greetings to Susan.  I can't believe I missed it yesterday.

Belated Birthday Enclosure Card Messages

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon/Evening.  Please don't overdo things, Jean.  I worry about you working in the heat.  It is a shame not to have new pants to look forward to receiving, but I know it is difficult to do "want" shopping when income is decreasing.  I remember the pre-retirement seminar I attended where they explained the facts of inflation, etc.  Just because your retirement amount seems adequate at the time, it may fall very short in the future.  I do hope you will be working this year.

Your dinner sounds delicious, Fressa.  Sorry about your headache and achy knees.  Hope the storm isn't too bad.

I had not read about the changes at QVC, and I'm very sorry to read about Antonella.  I don't watch that much Q any more, but she always seemed to be full of life and smiling.  I hope she finds another position soon.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Like you, Jean, I worry about the people who refuse to wear masks -- doesn't seem to be that much of a sacrifice, and it could literally be a matter of life and death for someone else.  Really glad many businesses and locations are requiring masks and social distancing these days.  

So far, I'm loving my new AC.  It is quieter than the old one, and works quite well.  I made it to two grocery stores today, and no problems with my hearing aids, thank goodness.  I purchased "mask extenders" which enable me to put the elastic part of the mask down on my neck rather than over my ears.  It really helps.

I suddenly had a thought last night that my enthusiasm about DD's going back to college might make it sound like that I think college is a requirement for everyone.  If any of you interpreted it that way, I apologize.  Definitely not the case.

Hi, Bernie.  I didn't realize that it was Susan's birthday yesterday -- Happy Birthday, Susan!

My plan is to do a Leslie Sansone DVD this afternoon.  Otherwise, nothing of note.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. to Glenda -- hope you are doing okay after your dental surgery.

Honored Contributor

I have to qualify this with a SO FAR.....

Gabrielle Kerr (12 years),  Stacey Stauffer (6 years), Antonella Nester (18 years) and Kristine Zell (3 years) are leaving the Q per their facebook pages.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Oh my goodness!  Thanks for keeping us posted, Bernie.  

Trusted Contributor

Good evening ladies, hope all is well.

Bernie - Yes, yesterday was my birthday.  Thank you for the Birthday wish.  It was very uneventful.  My favorite restaurant was closed so DH and and picked up supper from the local deli.  It was very good.  Glad you got the much needed rain yesterday, we have had storms around us but we have had no rain.  Glad you got your shrubs done.  

Linda - Thank you for the Birthday wishes, Happy to hear you are loving the new AC.  What you said about your DD going back to college did not sound wrong.  You should be very proud of her and it sounded like it.  

Jean - Thank you for starting the thread today, don't over do the working outside.  It is sad that people are not taking the Covid seriously.  If everyone would have worn a mask for 3-4 weeks, we would probably not be having these problems now.  I find it funny that US citizens are upset because no one wants us to visit their country.  

I had my carpal tunnel surgery last Tuesday and doing well.  I am pretty much back to normal just can pick up more than 5lbs. until I go back to the doctor in another week.  Glad to have it out of the way.  

Well not much happening around here, just same old same old.  I hope eveyone has a great evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Glad your surgery went well, Susan.  Good that you enjoyed food from the deli for your birthday.