Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (Sunday, FEB. 26)

Good Morning, Ladies!  It is warmer here this morning (mid 40's), which pleases me.  It is supposed to make it into the mid 60's with clouds.  Hope none of you suffered through the storms yesterday -- saw reports of heavy thunder, hale, and winds some places and lots of snow others.   I know some of you enjoy snow, but others not so much.

I don't have special plans today -- church, gym, visiting DH, and ironing.  But, I know I'll keep busy.  DH was sleepy both times when I visited yesterday, but he was smiling.  The afternoon caregiver offered me a piece of the apple cake she made, and it was delicious.  Nice lady.

No garden shopping planned for me.  I may watch a little bit of the Oscars, but I usually have a short attention span for award shows.  Glad there are so many choices with streaming, etc.

Hope everyone has a nice day, and please post if you have a chance.

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (Sunday, FEB. 26)

Hi everybody,

Image result for sunday images

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Thank you for starting the thread. I'm glad that you are enjoying better temperatures and that you and DH are able to enjoy your visits together. I do like the TSV but I can easily do without it. I think I would rather spend the money on something to wear or something I might personally enjoy more.

meallen--That is a beautiful graphic. Thank you for posting.

I just showered and WEN'd my hair, and am now watching Law and Order SVU from the very beginning as I do some sorting, trashing, etc.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Good morning - We're getting more rain today, which is always appreciated.  This winter was mild and rainier than usual.  I've had something blooming in my garden the whole time, including rosemary, lantana, and now the daffodils.  I noticed yesterday that shrubs and trees are starting to leaf out.  It looks like I won't have to do much pruning back like I usually do.  (Bougainvillea and lantana are the ones that usually require a lot of pruning.)

Yesterday I finished basting one side of my quit/comforter project.  I will wait a couple of days before resuming, to give the blister on my finger a chance to rest, lol.  The bad event of yesterday was having a tooth break.  It was a tooth with a large old filling in it.  I hope I can get a crown and not lose the tooth entirely.  Hope I can get in to see the dentist quickly.  In the meantime, it is sensitive, but not hurting badly.

Jean, your mention of how you used to travel a long distance to shop at the big mall brought back memories.  There is another thread on the fashion board also reminiscing about shopping the grand old department stores.  My favorite from when I was growing up was Harris' Dept. store in So Cal.  It was a nice store with quality merchandise, knowledgeable salespeople, and my Mom would have us eat in their restaurant which was very elegant.

We do not have a nice department store in our town, and I have such mixed experiences shopping at a place like Ross.  It can be fun to shop for bargains, but at least half of the time I'm there (not exaggerating), somebody has a crying/screaming baby with them, and the mother of said child just ignores the situation.  It doesn't make for a pleasant shopping experience to say the least.

Oh, and I went on a bit of a shopping binge this past week...I think not feeling well physically brought on some self-medicating type shopping.  And those extra e-bucks days on ebay entice me in.  I need to get my focus back.  Well, enough complaining for this post, lol.  I'm planning a quiet day at home today, doing a little bit of this and that.

Hope you all have a good Sunday!  ~  Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Charlene--I am sure that the quilt will be lovely when you finish it. You have great patience to be able to stick with the quilting project, but am sorry that you have to give the finger a rest because of the blistering. I do hope that you can get the tooth repaired quickly. You will get your shopping focus back; we all fall for the great bargain or extra incentive that seems to appear just when we want some "feel good" experience

I read part of the thread you mentioned. I also have good memories of department stores before some migrated to the mall when it opened. As the years passed, they became less customer friendly and clerks seemed to be less informed about products as well as taking their time to wait on you.

I don't know what will happen to our JCP in the mall 60+ miles away but one thing I really dilike is its changing customer checkout to two points in the store....one near the entrance to the mall interior and the other to the exit to the parking lot. It has also reduced the variety and amount of clothing for plus sized and women with an emphasis on teen or early career age women. I haven't been to its housewares department in a long time but I saw a banner on the outside that it now sells large appliances such as refrigerators, etc.

Many of the stores in the mall are relocating to strip malls where the lease fees are less and being replaced by special interest stores that come and go. The Sears in the mall is actually not bad and the customer service is better than JCP.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Hello all, I did my taxes online yesterday and am glad to have that behind me.  I owe the state and city a combined $21, lol.  At least I'm getting a refund from the feds.

Today is my sister Anna's birthday.  My middle sister and I went to the movies this morning - saw Get Out (not a bad movie) and then came to my house and ordered carry out and spent a few hours reminiscing about our sister :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--Glad you enjoyed the movie and the time together. It is a relief to get all those taxes filed. I am almost finished with mine but am taking my time as I usually have to pay a little more. I'm one of those who doesn't believe in loaining my money to the government interest free in order to get a big refund back.

As of this evening, I will be working at least 4 days this week; I have Wednesday open. I was going through my  supply of crops and capris. All are in good shape soI wouldn't have to buy  any for this year but a new color might be in order.