Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY)

Good morning, shopping friends. Today is a beautiful, sunny day. If it is not sunny where you are, then try to make your own sunshine via your attitude or outlook.

As one of the original "shopaholics," I've seen this thread change gradually as people came and went. Yes, it was originally started when a member went through their order status and calculated how much was spent during a year with QVC alone. Many of us joined together for support and reinforcement and as we did, our shopping habits changed. This does not mean we don't enjoy shopping but when we shop, we usually have a good reason for the shopping.

I was looking at the Insider and thought of the time when highly touted items in the Insider or by hosts, etc. as well as some of the threads convinced me to try the newest and best. It took me a period of time to realize that what was highly promoted wIas not the best for me, especially in the beauty department. If I order, it will be Laura Geller as that works very well for me. At the same time, I've tried other lines and really didn't see much difference from drugstore brands.

I remember when there were no reviews. Do they really help? They are only a guide. When the reviews are mixed, you just have to decide and take a chance. I've had items that had rave reviews but which didn't work for me. At the same time, I've had items that were great but which didn't get good reviews. Sometimes, I think it was a result of not reading instructions that came with the item.

I'm a classic type of person so there is no way that some far-out item will work for me; I would not feel comfortable in it. I do not want to sparkle all over when I work and live in a conservative area. I don't want to spend time picking up "sparkles" that fall off when not securely fastened to the item. I do not buy items that require much ironing; I don't like to iron. I don't buy items that require dry cleaning as the nearest dry cleaner is 50 miles away.

I know people here generally put down the "mom" pants of which QVC sells millions. The reality is that these Denim & Co. pants are the only ones which I have found to fit me right. Since I always wear my tops out, it doesn't bother mne that they have an elastic waist.

I have enough clothes; I really don't need to add to the collection at this tinme unless it is a very special item. If I have a weakness now, it is for electronic gadgets but that is on a hold right now with the purchase of a high end camera this year, a new laptop and a new netbook.

The money I save for impulse or non-essential purchases can be used for another purpose. It is a value judgement. I enjoy travel so the money can easily be saved for that. One year of resisting those $20 bill alerts (really $30 when shipping and tax is added in) can easily mount to $1200 a year wave Wd based upon one alert per week ignored. What can be done with $1200? Often people say they can't afford a large ticket item but easily spend $5 or $10 with no memory of what it was spent on. It isn't the large expenditures that take our money; it is the "nickle and dime" expenditures. Try tracking every cent spent sometime; you might be amazed at how much those small amount mount up to.

This is a lazy day, but I will spend part of it catching up with some things that need to be done. I work a definite four days this coming week. For a 70 year old person, I don't feel like one and work keeps me energized and I love what I do. It is easy to relax when I get home and let the house go but it needs the continued attention....and that includes continued purging. As I wear an item, I will make a decision of "keep or go."

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.