Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, SEPT. 30)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a beautiful sunny day, the second in a row. A friend and I enjoyed a trip to a neighboring state  yesterday, and are planning a Fall foilage trip in our state later this month.

I've been spending the morning playing with my new cell phone, an LG Stylo 4 which I purchased at Amazon. The reviews were great  and I know from what I have done so far that I will not regret this purchase. I've had several  LG  products which have never created a problem and have lasted a long time. The phone is equivalent to a Samsung costing several hundred more. The money saved is money that can be spent on fashions? Money saved is money that can be used for a multitude of reasons.

My favorite way of questioning if a "want" purchase is a good one is to ask the following: Does the item replace an aging item? Do I have anything like it that can last longer thus delaying the purchase? Am I willing to work "x" time to pay for the purchase? 

I could have delayed the purchase of the cell phone  but the current one is over 3 years old and is very basic; the new one has many features that I didn't have on the other one, not to mention its memory capacity, speed, and camera megapixels. Yes, I am willing to work to pay for it. I'm a happy camper with this purchase.

I did see some SG pants presented today that I wanted but they are items that can always be delayed as I have several but perhaps not in that fabrication. I'll likely be buying some items closer to the time I go to Australia if I find the current selection needs an addition for the trip.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, SEPT. 30)

Good Morning Jean @KonaKat  I'm a firm believer, especially in this day and age, that women (especially single women like us) need at least 3 things - a reliable car, some kind of roadside assistance and a good phone. I categorize it as a matter of life or death.  The world is so harsh these days.

Me and my sister have had the same Motorola phone for 3 years now, since we signed up for Consumer Cellular.  Both of our phones are working fine however I am researching new models because sooner or later we're going to need new ones.

Boy am I sore this morning - a good kind of sore (in my thighs) from all that roller skating yesterday.  The rink isn't that far from my house and I'm sincerely considering going a few times a week in the morning for exercise.  The way I see it is the rates are really affordable and it's more fun that an exercise class.  They have an instructor who teaches skating to adults and kids and I think, once I get confident skating in a forward direction I might hire him to teach me how to skate backwards.  That's a long way off Woman Very Happy

It's rainy and very chilly this morning.  It's a great day to stay inside and just chill out.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--Glad you enjoyed your skating. It might be a good idea to sign up for the skating for exercise. I just changed to Consumer Cellular. The savings is great as is the customer service. I looked at their phones when signing up but they only had the super basic or the expensives. There was a mid-range phone I considered but it disappeared from the site. In the meantime, I found this unlocked gsm phone and am satisfied.

I am one of those 43,000 people who bought the Lock and Lock Christmas bags with containers. I figured that would be good inexpensive token gifts especially if some candy were added,

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

@KonaKat  Consumer Cellular has been a great choice for me and my sister.  I bought the plan and I added her number to the plan so her line is technically $10 per month.  She has the logon id information for Consumer Cellular in case she ever wants to check out anything.  As paranoid as I am about bills, that's one thing she won't ever have to worry about going in late.

I had been with them for about 2 years when they dropped the price of the plan we have.  Same good plan, they notified me the price was dropping. That was a first Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--It is a treat to be able to speak to someone at a business that communicates clearly and is as customer friendly as Consumer Cellular.  I am looking forward to my future with them. I also got the AARP discount. It is good that you could help your sister out.

I just dropped my almost three-year old laptop. It broke at the right hinge. No problems with the actual board but I now have to be careful with the screen part. The left hinge is fine but the frame for the screen on the right side is detached. I'll just baby it for some time but I don't know how long that will last.                             

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Glad you are having nice weather and had a good trip yesterday with your friend.  Sounds like you made a wise choice with your new phone.  I had Consumer Cellular for my second (back-up) cell phone for a couple of years, but decided to drop it after DH died.  I have been with Verizon for many years, and that is what my DD and DH's DD have, so I am reluctant to change.  Fortunately, they lowered their rates and increased data the last time I bought a phone.  Still, I might change to Consumer Cellular in the future.  They are a good company and assured me that they would take me back.

I have been going back and forth on a clothing purchase for a couple of days.  On the one hand, I certainly don't need another top, and this one (Linea) costs way more than I want to pay.  On the other, I really, really love the top.  I'm trying to talk myself out of the purchase, especially since I need to be more careful with my spending these days.  

Hi Bernie.  I have not been roller or ice skating for years, but both of great exercise.  And, they are probably more fun than most exercise classes.  While I enjoyed both, skating backwards was not something that I could do.  Do you own your own skates?  I ask because I found that rented skates were never that good for me, especially ice skates.  Not sure there is any skating facility anywhere near where I live now, so I guess I will stick with my other forms of exercise.

It is another sunny and hot day here, but they keep predicting cooler weather (80's rather than the 90's) and possible rain for tomorrow.  And, I think that we are not supposed to have the 90's all week.  Not to say that will not happen again this year since we have had 100-degree days in October.  

I'm back from church and headed to the gym soon.  Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I'm sure you will make the right decision regarding the top for you. Your weather sounds great!

Respected Contributor

Hi ladies..I am now in Az for 3 weeks..

I may have tomback to la only one more time. This has been a crazy time..lol

i have an iPhone and I could not be without it. We have no landlines soma god cell phone is necessary. We have always been Apple folks I use mine for navigation..essential in La, internet, photos, as a charge card etc. I upgraded last spring so I should be good for a while.

Bernie back in the day, I both ice and roller skated and I could skate backwards. I loved both.

Jean , glad you are having some sun..I will,say that I have been in perfect weather for the last 6 weeks.

Linda after surveying my clothes here, I am buying NOTHING. 🤪

have a a wonderful day.

Honored Contributor

Since this is the first time in nearly 40 years that I've been to a roller skating rink, I think I will rent skates for awhile until I determine if this is a passing phase. 

If I decide I want to stick with it, then I will invest in a nice pair of skates, preferably turquoise or purple leather/suede. Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

hello Ladies..it was a beautiful sunny but cool day here...but I guess that's to be expected this  time of year.

I also ice/roller skated when in h.s. And had.my own skates for both.  The roller rink was not far me in Bklyn and we would go ice skating in Central Park taking the subway to get there...I even had my own case to put my skates in....still have it and my DH has a bunch of tools in it now.  My mom had made me a few short skirts that I would wear...guess that was the style back then.   I would be afraid of skating now,afraid I'd fall and break something.

I don't use my cell phone much but it stays in tne bottom of my pocketbook.....we have a landline too.

not much else happening here...have a nice rest of the day everyone....marijane