Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, SEPT. 18)

Good morning, everyone! We are having thunderstorms off and on today. More of note, it is National Burger Day or something like that. I'm surprised the Q doesn't have Kansas City steakburgers as a TSV, but I guess you can fry them in the copper pan or whatever it is.

I've been sorting some things, and also skimmed the "closet purging" thread. In honor of that thread plus some of our past discussions, this might be of worthy note:

decluttering.jpg

I can remember when this thread first started, we focused upon getting the spending and shopping under control. Most of us do not fit the label of a true "shopaholic" but that doesn't mean that we don't monitor our expenditures and shopping. Perhaps closet purging, cosmetic drawer purging or whatever keeps us aware of the things that we purchased that no longer have any value to us or perhaps were not winners when we first got them but we felt we would wear or use it.

My niece and I spent some time debating an activity that we plan to do while in Puerto Rico.  The travel days are becoming fewer so we want this to be a memorable experience. Neither of us are able to trek into rainforests, climb hills, etc. so fun things such as that are not part of the agenda. We will likely make arrangements after I see the orthopedic back surgeon when all the tests are finalized. The final test, I hope, will be on the 29th.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, SEPT. 18)

@KonaKat, good morning to everyone and thanks for the start.
My shopping has been cut waaay down, just don't need as much, or have any desire to deal with 'stuff', whether it be in my closet, kitchen or other places.
I was interested in the copper pot, but have decided to pass.
Hope you have a good doctor report and enjoy your upcoming trip.

Both daughters spent the night with us last night, but are still sleeping this morning, they say up very late enjoying their very limited time together. I went to bed about 12:30am and have been up since 5:30am. Will make some breakfast/brunch shortly as I am sure they will be up soon. Need to take the dog out now.
Hope everyone has a good day. Waves....
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@KonaKat

Good Morning Jean.  I wish I could throw out my bras, however society would not look upon that favorably, lol.

I was on 'my store's' website yesterday and was getting caught up in the 25% off of $100 sale.  I put several sweaters and a pair of winter white cords into my cart.  

I sat here, in front of my computer monitor and said, what a minute Bernie. I thought about the 2 pair of cords I was getting rid of and said, you know, this is the same style, what do you think will be different in winter white?  I took those out of the cart :-)

I then said, Bernie, you have a nice chocolate brown sweater, why do you need a taupe one - brown is brown.  I took the taupe sweater ouf of my cart.  I also took the ivory crewneck sweater out of my cart, because I have a lovely newer ivory turtleneck sweater already.

I removed a blouse and some other thing I can't remember (isn't that a shame).

I ended up ordering just the following:

Stylus™ Long-Sleeve Ribbed Button-Front Cardigan - Tall St. John's Bay® Long-Sleeve Cable-Knit Sweater - Tall

I bought 2 shrugs this year that I've worn so often it's ridiculous.  I never paid the $54 asking price (waited for sales).  Well, low and behold, they went on clearance and with 20% off (less than $100 in purchases), I picked them up for $15 a piece for next year.

Liz Claiborne® Short-Sleeve Crochet Shrug - Tall Liz Claiborne® Short-Sleeve Crochet Shrug - Tall

I also thought about the Vince Camuto shabooties at Nordies.  I thought about the boots I own already and decided that I really didn't need the Camuto's either.  That and some of the reviewers said the color wasn't really walnut like on the website, there was some olive in them.  Last thing I need is a funky color shabootie, lol.

I don't want to jinx myself, however I think I am all set for fall/winter.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Snicks--Excess things keep us from enjoying our treasured items to the fullest. The latest and greatest is not always needed, and is it really the "greatest" if the addition to our belongings doesn't add quality  to the lifestyle. I remember when staying at my timeshare in Hawaii, I had just the right amount of furnishings, kitchen equipment, etc. and also clothes. I always had the goal of returning to that level of simplicity. It is a goal in process for me. With all the hype on airfryers, I am proud of my decision not to purchase that TSV when offered. The current TSV does not even tempt me. Enjoy your family time; that is time to be treasured.

Bernie--I"m not throwing out my bras either unless they no longer serve me well. Since I'm big on top, I can't get by without the needed support. You did a great job of thinking through which items would make for good purchases. I was actually tempted for a few minutes by the IM TSV of pants since I had none in his line but I have enough of two different lines in various colors that I decided I could always wait. There is always another "deal" that will present itself.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1

Hi Snicks, how great that both of your daughters were able to hang out with Mom and each other :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--I just read that your favorite store JCP is located in San Juan and is also noted as being the largest JCP in the world.  There are over 300 stores, so we might find something to do in spare time or if a tour gets canceled.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, your trip to PR sounds great.  We have never been there.  Good luck with your end of the month test.  DH & I are having a 59 cent burger for lunch.  Fries for him & the parfait for me.

Bird Mama, I will be purging as many things in my closet as things I have bought on vacation.  I like to be able to see what I have at a glance.

SNICK's, how fun to have both DD's home together.

It is hot here again today.  Need to find a motel for tonight.  Heading for IN tomorrow morning.

Just found out that another classmate of mine has died from cancer.  I have lost at least 6 this year & DH has lost even more.

Hugs toi all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon, and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Cute message in that graphic.  I think I have improved in terms of adding more "stuff", but there is still room for improvement.  I was pretty tempted by yesterday's TSV, but I decided the price was too high.  I have had great luck finding IM 24/7 ankle pants that I like from eBay.  Perhaps the TSV will end up being sold on eBay someday.  Definitely not a need in any case.  No more kitchen stuff is needed here.  Hope you and your niece have a wonderful time in Puerto Rico.

Hi snicks -- glad your daughters had time to spend with you and each other -- how nice that they want to do so.   Too bad you did not get much sleep, but I think that is a pattern for you.

Good work in weeding through your "want" list and finding items that will be useful additions, Bernie.  

Hope you find a good hotel for tonight, twinny.  The weather should be cooler when you get home, correct?  It is pretty hot here, but the nights are getting much cooler.  So sorry for the loss of yet another classmate to cancer.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, Susan, Marijane, Charlene, Barbara, Rosa, Essie, meallen, Karen, Gayle, 3suwm5,  pinky ann, LindaR, butterfly, and all of our posters and readers.

No exciting plans for today, but I'm sure I'll keep busy with church, the gym, visiting DH, ironing, etc.  

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

To all of you this Sunday, sending,

Image result for autumn blessings images

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--Sorry about the number of deaths in people close to you. It certainly makes you stop and think and wonder what lies ahead. Enjoy the cheeseburger and add ons. It sounds very tasty to me and is tempting me to venture out but I won't at this point.

Linda---You always make wise choices. I know prices are getting higher but the price on the IM TSV was also a factor in my choosing not to order, especially when I have a large number of pants. I haven't ordered from eBay for about a year; it was once a weakness of mine but I have gotten some great deals in handbags from there.

meallen--Another great graphic as we enter the Fall season.