Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, SEPT. 11)

Today is sthe 15th anniversary of the day that shocked Americans out of complacency and changed our world and how we perceive it for years to follow.

Where was I on September 11, 2001? I was in bed asleep. I had just arrived late the night before from Hawaii and was catching up on some sleep because of the six-hour time difference.

The phone rang and the person calling told me to turn on the TV. I did so in time to see the second plane hit the Twin Towers. It was an event which changed many of our ways of thinking and taking things for granted. Had I originally planned to leave Hawaii one day later than I did, I would have been forced to remain several days more.

I remember a month later, I took a flight to Chicago just to prove to myself that I could get on a plane again. There were around 5 people on that regional jet flight but more on the return flight. Now, planes fly packed and all seats were filled on the last 777 flight I took and many wanted to fly standby were not able to do so.

There are some inconveniences, according to some, when traveling now, but if you plan ahead and follow the rules, it isn't a big issue. I'd rather think I'm being as safe as possible than to take unreasonable risks. I take a risk each time I get in the car from the actions of those who are impaired at the wheel, etc. We can't take anything for granted. Our life can change in a minute.

As far as shopping is concerned, I filled up the car with gas and bought a pint of ice cream yesterday. I will be having an MRI of my spine, lower back and legs on Tuesday, so any "wants" are being put on hold until I know the outcome.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, SEPT. 11)

Image result for sept 11 animated images

Honored Contributor

Sept. 11, 2016

Image result for happy grandparents day animated images

Honored Contributor

9-11-world-trade.jpg

Never forget.

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Jean, some days it seems like September 11th was yesterday.  I had just gotten up & turned on the TV to see the 2nd plane hitting the tower.  I am glad for extra precautions taken at airports too.  DH & I will be going to Shanksville, PA on our way back home.  We stopped there last year only to see a beautiful memorial.  Touching  to say the least.

It is cloudy but 70's so a nice day again.  We are taking our DS & DDIL to Texas Road House for our sons early birthday lunch today.  We are leaving for PA on Tuesday instead of tomorrow as the kids leave for work early tomorrow & we need to sleep in a little longer.  lol!  

Jean, prayers for good results on your Tuesday tests.  

Hugs to all of you.

Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies..where was I..in front of my tv waiting for a show to start at 9am,I saw the fire and said to my DH's who was home that day there is a fire at one of the towers,he said they are equipped for that and will have it out in no time....then out of the corner of my eye I saw the other plane and thought it was a plane full,of photoghers trying yo get pix and got too close and hit the other building.  ONe of my DH's cousins and her husband  (he was in the 1st bombing of the towers in 1993 I think,)worked down there,he in one of the towers but was running late that day and was on a subway going towards the building....his wife worked a block away and was at work.  We spend hours trying to locate her..phone service was knocked out..also could not get in touch with my DD..she was down in that area and wound up hours later at the front door of my sister in law in NJ.      WE have friends who lost children that day and many in our town were in those buildings too that did not survive.       MY dad worked on them going up....it was his last job before retiring,he was an electrician.  Evert time we passed them when the kids were small they would always say "Pop help build those".  He was not alive to see them come down.

Honored Contributor

Jean, thanks for starting us off this morning.  I can't believe it's been 15 years since the attacks.  I wouldn't say it feels like it just happened yesterday, however it feels more like a couple a years versus 15.

I remember it vividly.  I was listening to the radio 105.1 FM and driving on I-375 south headed to my job in the IT department of BCBSM.  I was still on the freeway around 8:50.  I was preoccupied about getting to work, my mind planning what I needed to do for the day.  My soon to be husband and I had just put an offer on a house and I was thinking about getting the 20% down and just life, you know what I mean.

The DJ of the morning show, Jim Harper said they were breaking to ABC news and I believe Peter Jennings was trying to report what was happening, but it was really choatic.  I parked my car, half listening, because I was rushing to get inside.

I know at first nobody really knew if it was an accident or what.  I was at work and some of the girls had tv/radios.  Not kidding - those little Sony radio/TV things and I could start hearing murmurs about something being really wrong.

I called Terry at the house he was renting (I still lived with my sister at the time) and said, wake up and turn on the TV and tell me what is going on.  Something is really wrong and I can't figure out what it is.

He got up, turned on the TV and started crying.  He was trying to relay what the news people were relaying at that time and I remember wanting to get in my car and drive.  Just drive - not sure where - just move.  Like a cornered animal.

BCBSM released us all from work sometime between 10 am and 10:30.  I can't remember the timeline, but the emotions are so close to the skin 15 years later that I am feeling them as I type this.

My Ma and Dad were in Detroit.  My eldest sister was in Fraser.  My BIL was working for GM in Detroit.  My husband was in the burbs.  My middle sister was working for BCBSM at the Southfield location.

All I wanted was all of us in one room.  I talked to Terry and said, I know you are upset, I have to go to my parents.  They are elderly, they've seen war and this is going to traumatize them.

I made my way to my parents house and when I walked into their house, my Dad had NBC news on.  He and my Ma, looked pale, stricken and the most afraid than I had ever seen in my life.

My middle sister made it home.  We talked to my eldest sister - her kids came home, her husband came home so as a unit they were together.

I stayed with my parents for a couple of hours then went to see Terry at his house in the late afternoon/evening.  I smoked at the time and on the way to Terry's I stopped in a party store to buy a couple of packs of cigarettes.  The owner was arabic and when I walked in and asked for a couple of packs of smokes he looked at me and was crying.  I reached over the counter and grabbed his hands.  I said, you are not responsible for this.  Just like when the crazy guys from Michigan blew up the Murrah building in Oklahoma, I wasn't responsible for it.  I don't blame an entire population for the actions of a select few.  I told him, emotions are going to be all over the place for the next few days.  I need you to be careful because I have no idea what people will do.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Unlike Jean I was afraid to get on a plane,my DH had a business trip booked to London for Oct. and I was to go with him....he went I didn't,also we postponed a trip to Hawaii later  that month that the airlines were letting passengers do without any penalty...we had a year to use the tickets which we did the following Feb. ,it still took me awhile to get over my fear.

Honored Contributor

Image result for remember 911

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Morning, Thanx @KonaKat for the start.

Yes this day is one I'll never forget, DS called me to turn on the tv, of course it was unbelieveable just couldn't get my mind around it, then remember DD was in DC, I tried to call her cell, no answer of course, so now I'm terified, finally the feds (she works for them) called me to say she was safe & would contact me when able to.  Did find out they were 1 block from the White House, so they were sequestered & marched 5 miles under guard to a safe location, all she wanted to do was get home, transportation was non existant (sp) they (a group of 6) finally were able to rent a car, drove it cross country so all could get home, she was the 3rd dropped off (Chicago) the car went all the way to CA.  I was never so grateful, the thinking was that the White House was the next target but those brave passengers/crew on the other plane diverted it, God Bless them All

So yes, this is a day I will never forget

God Bless America!!