Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, SEPT. 1

Good morning, shopping friends. Our prayers are with those facing the wrathof Hurricane Dorian and its possibly unpredictable path.

I have been up sinc 6am. I am tired but need to stay out of the bed as long as possible. I've been trying to get the residue from the adhesive from the leads, bandaids, etc. used in the hospital. I can tell you that Gorilla Glue has met its math.

Midnight is one happy cat and is just now beginning not to stay by me minute by minute. I saw those microfiber mats presented this morning and ordered them to replace the aged ones at his feeding station and litter pan.

I also signed up for one of those home and on the go monitoring systems. There are several versions so it is difficult to make a good choice, but I went with the one which had great reviews. The cincher was the company contacting me on a holiday weekend and taking time to explain all the options. I couldn't believe it but one of the calls was made by a robot system, even to the point of entering credit card number. I don't deal with that type of thing. One called me at a bad time on Friday but never returned the call as requested. Now, I just wait for the system to be delivered.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, SEPT. 1

Good Morning Jean @KonaKat 

I saw some of the local news and the weather guy said Dorian's path changed.  Personally, when dealing with a category 5 hurricane, I'm not sure anyone can really predict where it's going to go.

I think I will check out the microfiber mats.  I have a couple of 'feeding station' for the birds that involve seed, grit and water and even though I have mats under them, I'm always on the lookout for new ones.

My eldest sister had a monitoring system and for the life of me I can't remember the name.  She never made it to the point that she left the house independently however it came in handy around her apartment.  One time she dropped it and the company immediately called her.

I found out that she had one on the day I went over to her appartment and saw something that looked like a lockbox.  I thought, wow, did she move and nobody told me? Woman Embarassed  Turns out the company had the key code that could be transmitted to the fire/rescue people which would allow them access to the key inside the box to her apartment. 

I tend to check out the TSV and Big Deal tabs on the homepage when I login and I see a cute Clarks TSV coming up (don't know when).

https://www.qvc.com/Clarks-Collection-Suede-Ankle-Boots-with-Bow---Sharon-Salon.product.A369021.html...

I think I already have boots in every color being offered except for the gold option (which I wouldn't wear) Woman Wink  I'll check out my current boot inventory to make sure.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--Without what they call a lockbox, emergency personnel are authorized to get to you by any means possible. Yes. you select the code when signing up and it is given when the local emergency peoople are called. Some companies charge extra for these; others include it free as an enticement to enroll. I need to get a couple of keys made for it.

It i good that you weren't tempted by the boot color. I tend to order shoes of any type in the good old basic colors. I do need to check out the upcoming Clarks TSV thanks to you.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie @Bird mama You naughty girl. I love those boots. Now one or two pair!

Honored Contributor

Jean @KonaKat   I know Woman Very Happy  I haven't been tempted by a Clarks TSV in years.  These look fashionable without being over the top and comfortable.  Since I've retired, I don't wear my 3 inch heels much anymore, lol.  I wore some high heeled shabooties to 2 funeral homes (on the same day) last month and spent the entire time on my feet.  

I thought I was going to get a charley horse in my calf muscles when I went to bed that night.  And to think I used to wear them daily with no issue.  I guess I'm out of practice Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--It is amazing how the  height of a shoe heel affects the muscles. I'm more vertically challenged now than I used to be but finally after not working in high fashions, I gave up the quest for heiight. Yes, it makes a difference.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Glad you found a monitoring system that you like.  A few of my friends have them, and I definitely intend to sign up.  We have a volunteer group that works with the fire department, and they will put a "lock box" for your key on you house for a small fee.  The only ones who have the key are with the fire department, and this avoids having your door broken if they need to get in during an emergency.  Some people have been known to call them when they are locked out of their homes.  

I'm sure Midnight is very happy to have you home, and I hope you can get the Gorilla glue off.  Yikes!  I agree with you and Bernie -- those boots are very nice.  I probably will not order since there aren't too many occasions to wear boots around here, and I already have a pair or two pairs, actually.

I am sorry your feet were hurting from your "work" shoes, Bernie.  I used to wear pumps that were 2 1/2" or so all the time, but the last time I put them on (yes, I still have them after all these years), my feet were hurting.  I think my feet are rebelling against anything that isn't very comfortable.  

Difficult to believe it is September already.  Yikes!  Of course, we are still having summer weather (hot).  Yesterday evening we had lots of thunder and lightening, but very little rain, and we need the rain.  I hope the hurricane doesn't do too much damage or cause injuries and death.

My hospice visit went okay, but my patient exhibited dementia much more than on my previous visits -- kept asking me the same question over and over.  Her son asked me to come later in the day next week so that he can go to a football game at the university.  A friend will relieve me at 6:00 p.m.  

It wasn't too bad on my walk, but a little hot and some little bugs were attacking (gnats, I think).  

As the others said, Charlene -- give yourself a break.  I think we tend to be our own worse critics at times.  Good advice that was given to me was to talk to yourself as you would a friend.  Sounds like you have made a lot of nice jam.  

Hoping all will be okay with you twinny.  How exciting that your grandson is going to college.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.

Have a nice Sunday.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--When I get the system and the lockbox, I wil put the key/s inside the lock box. I gave them what I wanted the code to be when I registered. If needed, the company will give the emergency personnel the code to open the lock box and get the key to open the door. I had always wondered how they would get in without causing damage to door or window  

Fall is a beautiful season but here there is one negative to it; it is followed by Winter which varies from mild to horrible, and the crooked roads can present a challenge to drive. s

I do wear boots in the Winter and have one grey pair so I have a feeling the Clarks are coming  home to me. I have never had aubergine so I might get that and good old black..

Esteemed Contributor

Jean and Linda L, it sounds like you both of you are making a good choice in getting a home/away alert systems.  It's supposed to rain today, tomorrow & a chance on Tuesday.  So far we got about 10 sprinkles last night.

Bird Mama, I haven't seen the Clark's TSV, but I am pretty sure that I don't need boots or shoes.  I no longer wear 3" heels.  Now I go for comfort and safety.  My dad had very wide feet and always said that "he fit his feet and not his head ." Lol.  Of course we "fit our head."

It's another nice day.  We had potluck after church today and it was very good considering we go to a small church.  

We had a nice dinner out last night with friends and enough leftovers for supper tonight.  

This is the first time in 8 years that we haven't been on the East Coast for Labor Day & I am missing seeing our ds, ddil, seafood and the ocean.  

Marijane, you can eat the wonderful seafood for me.

I am feeling good, but I will make an appointment with my GP on Tuesday to see what she thinks caused my "bump in the road" on Friday night.

Nothing exciting going on around here which is a good thing sometimes.

I am thinking about those in the path of Dorian.  I am so glad that I live in the Midwest. Snow and all.

I am trusting that Christopher is all moved in and ready for his first day of college on Tuesday.  Drew and Emily are getting bored & looking forward to going back to school too.  Emily will be a frosh & went on a trial run with her mom a few days ago.  It's a large sized HS with classes all over the place.  Drew will be a Jr. so he can at least drive her to school every day.  I can remember moving our ds into an Apt at the same university 30 years ago.  

Hugs to all of you.

Honored Contributor

Hi Linda @LindaLatte  Do you think the bout of dementia is symptomatic of the progression of your hospice patient's disease?   That has to be difficult to witness.