Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, OCTOBER 1st)

Fressa, glad that the bees seem to be gone and your dh's poison ivy is getting better.  It looks like you have a variety of plants for a good meal too.  

Linda L, it's nice that you are so caring with your Hospice patients.   We are hoping to go to our gym tomorrow afternoon.  It's a good thing that we both did a lot of walking on vacation.  

We got back home safe and sound at 3:30 this afternoon.  Not a lot of road construction so that was nice.

We had a lot of good breakfasts, but we were both hungry for a home cooked lunch or dinner so we stopped at a Cracker Barrel in IL for lunch.  

We are both tired from traveling, but it was worth it.  It was the first time we have gone out West in  the Fall & it was stunning.

The hot tub is full & we are waiting for the water to get hot enough to enjoy.  My back hurts from so much sitting.  

It was in the 80's today.  One degree lower than a record high for this time of the year.  It's going to be a cool weekend, but 70's next week.  I have a lot of laundry to catch up on.  

Grocery shopping on Thursday & a visit to see my dh's Mom.  

I can't believe that it's October already.  The leaves have been turning for a few weeks &  getting more beautiful each day.

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

Just a "sticker shock" alert. The hubby picked up the batteries for us to replenish our supply and the price is "crazy".. AAA $21 for the economy box AA & C were $23 box and D were $25 box. I guess it's been more than a few months since the last time. UGH!!!

Honored Contributor

Hello all, I've been puttering around outside trying to take care of some things before the weather turns cold.  I pruned my leafy shrubs (still don't know what kind of plants these are) on Monday before I cut the grass and I met an interesting looking spider that I still haven't identified.  I saw the intricate web when I reached for the top of the leafy shrub to get some new sprouts that sprung out and were ruining the flow, lol.  I said hello there - my goodness you are one large spider.  How's about I don't disturb you and you don't bite me.  I texted a picture to my sister and she freaked out.

I said look, these shrubs will be dropping leaves soon.  The spider will be out in the open and we're expecting a cold snap.  The poor thing isn't long for this world which is why I tried not to bother it.

Mouse proofed two small circles in some brick mortar yesterday.  Siliconized caulk and fine gauge steel wool.

Today I took a shot at hardscaping (and I use that term loosely) the patch of dirt on the southside of my house where my yew shrub once stood.  I used 8 16x16 pavers that matched the right way made up a sun design (to me) and tossed river rocks around them.  Hey it's not for everybody but I kinda like the look. 

I was really careful when I picked up the supplies on Monday and when I moved them out of my trunk (yea I left them in the trunk) today into the wheelbarrow.  I can't believe I pulled it off without throwing my back out Woman Very Happy

Glad you made it home safely @twinny70 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama---Your patio stone hardscaping sounds nice. I swear by patio pavers and marble chips. I try to have a couple bags of marble chips in the garage all the time. They really are useful.

I purchased the last (I hope) fence panels for the rosebush garden. Hopefully, the wasps/hornets are gone and we can repair that area for the Fall. I want to remove some of the panels that are bent (from the deer) and make it more uniform. I'm hoping that I have a couple leftover to use on the side garden to protect the lillies. I have deer trying to push on that vinyl fence to get at the lilllies. It's so close to the side door which makes me nervouse. Hopefully, it will all come together. 

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon!  Glad you and your DH are home safe and sound, Glenda.  Hopefully, you are getting caught up with laundry and other chores.  Traveling is certainly tiring, but I agree with you -- worth it.

Your landscaping sounds nice, Bernie.  I have always liked using marble chips in areas where growing grass might be difficult. The pavers are also nice. Happy you didn't throw out your back.

I agree with you about the price of batteries, Fressa.  I needed to buy some more 9 volt batteries when one died on my ceiling fan.  I don't like keeping a lot of them around, but really need some just in case the smoke alarm, etc. go out.

Yesterday, I went out to lunch with the neighborhood ladies, which was nice.  However, the food (Chinese) didn't agree with me.  I haven't had acid reflux in quite a while, but certainly had that problem yesterday afternoon/evening.  I seem to be back to normal today, thank goodness.

After lunch, I did my grocery shopping and spent more than expected.  

Late yesterday afternoon, I watched a fascinating Zoom lecture about Alzheimer's/dementia research.  It was very interesting, and I plan to watch the video again to make sure that I understand all the information. 

The hospice is having a memorial service next month, and I spent some time addressing envelopes for the invitations.  We hope to send them out Friday afternoon.  

I hope to go to the gym today, and have an OLLI class this afternoon.  If the hospice supplies are ready, I will pick them up late in the day.

Waves to Fressa, Bernie, Glenda, Susan, and all of our posters and readers.

Hope everyone has a nice evening.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

I got up at 6:00 a.m. and put in another load of laundry.  At 6:20, the phone rang and it was the Hospital asking if my dh was awake.  I said no & I had no idea what time he would wake up. They said that his Mom fell in the middle of the night and was brought to the hospital by ambulance. They wanted to know what time we could get his Mom & take her back home.  I said we will be there at 8:00.  They took a lot of X-Ray's & nothing was broken.  She refuses to use the nurse buzzer and tried to get out of bed for a box of Kleenex.

The Subaru was so dirty after a 4,050 road trip that it was a two man job to wash it. Then we got into the hot tub and didn't go to the gym this afternoon.  I need to vacuum the Subaru, but it's going to be cold for a few days with a chance for rain.

Tomorrow is going to be grocery shopping day.  I need pumpkin spice coffee and creamer.  Gas prices are $3.36 so they have gone down about 15¢.

Nothing exciting going on around here.  Maybe that's a good thing.

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry about your DH's Mom.  At least nothing was broken.  It started off cool this morning, but made it up to 95 degrees this afternoon.  Even hotter weather predicted for tomorrow.  Our gasoline prices are staying steady at $4.09 .

Esteemed Contributor

twinny70--I will keep your DH's mother in my thoughts and prayers. What a difficult time for all of you.She was so lucky that she didn't break a bone or worse.

Vacations are a joy but once the laundry starts it all seems like a blurr. I still don't see me driving anything but a Subaru. They're like little tanks no matter the drive or the weather. The hubby is taking mine in for the annual this month and then his goes in November. I'm having some weird battery issue so I'm a little nervous about driving it by myself. I have a charger but not sure I could handle that on a "bad knee day". It will be good to get it checked.

Your gas is cheap compared to here. Good that you can save a few dimes. It all goes to cover the grocery prices. I know that I reached a new total the last time I shopped. It's just crazy but hopefully you can get what's on your list.

It started raining during the night and is off and on during the day.