Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, OCT. 4)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is nippy here but I am gradually getting used to it. I will really hate it when Daylight Savings ends as I like the daylight on the end of the day so I can do more things after work, or when I go to the city.

I liked the Clarks shoes I got from Amazon so well that I ordered another pair. I had purchased my first pair from the Q about 3  years ago. Not only is the price higher at the Q, there is a shipping cost involved at the Q but not at Amazon which has free returns. Shipping costs always are taxed at the Q. This is a definite win-win combination.

The only thing I can think of, other than groceries and prescriptions, that need to be bought is bird seed. Now that they have discovered the feed, the birds are rapidly devouring it. Do I dare try a less expensive mixture and brand?

I checked our state's daily positivity rate for the virus yesterday, and found that it is 1.97%. We are green to go for school this week. I feel for Glenda who lives in Wisconsin as that state is having a rough time with it but not as bad as Wyoming, North and South Dakota. Regardless of the percentage, it still poses a risk so take precautions.

I must admit that I've become used to wearing a mask all day when working and have a selection of both disposable and cloth masks in various themes. Even that is a shopping experience. My last Mask purchase has cats on it, along with my cats names. I doubt that I will wear it but bought it as a way to remember them other than their urns.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely. If you venture out, do so safely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, OCT. 4)

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Jean - Thank you for starting us today.  I am loving this weather, I am a fall person, I know what comes next but I do love my fall.  Glad your shoes worked out.  I am trying to clean out shoes and clothes now that I am doing a seasonal clothing switch.  I am also trying to clean out make up.  I get one thing I have not been using out and try it.  Today it is a lipstick (don't know why I kept it) in a color that just looks terrible on me.  So in the garbage it went.  I have about 6 shopping bags going to the St. Vincent DePaul next week.  I have been putting stuff in it as I find it.  So now it is time to donate it and start new bags.

Glad to hear the birds found your house.  I think you will be very popular this winter.  Enjoy the birds, they are fun to watch.

I am getting used to wearing a facemask.  Some days it doesn't bother me, but other days after two stores I am heading home because I just can't take it anymore.

Well off to keep working on my to do list.  I have been working all day and only put a line in one thing that is listed ( I keep getting side tracked, my life story).  Hope everyone has a great afternoon.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

KomKat--I'm no expert but I have found that there are all types of birdseed/suet cakes for specific birds/bird types. I would stick with what you have been purchasing until your flock is established and then experiement. That's what I did. Now that I only have the suet cakes, I buy the flavors that the finches, song birds and woodpeckers prefer when I see a sale. So happy that you are having success with your feeder.

It's cool today. YIPPEE!!!  We burned some scrap timber yesterday and after the final log the bottom fell out of the fire pit. Perfect timing. I went on line searching for a replacement and was surprised to see so many sold out or back orders. I finally found a sale at SunJoe with free shipping. We use our fire pit quite a bit. Of course, the cover that I purchased (for the old pit) two months ago will not fit the new one. I'm hoping that I can switch one of the grill covers witht he fire pit cover and call it "okay for this year".

I did order a pair of the Clark's "Relaxed Fit" TSV presale yesterday. I have one pair of these boots from a year or two ago. I wear them constantly. The relaxed fit works for the foot on my reconstructed leg. I can also wear a footie with these as I prefer a sock with shoes/boots. I have the dark brown so I ordered the light grey. So far, I'm pleased that I resisted another color. So difficult to do when you find an item that "really" fits.

I'm still on my range "quest" and we are still researching what construction will need to be done depending on the range. I have an old JennAir with downdraft to an outside vent. I love that thing but the oven hasn't worked in years and now the burners are going. It's 30+ years old. Well they don't make that system any longer so all the duct work and vents have to be blocked and disassembled. UGH!!!  We're trying to do that part ourselves once we find so instructions. It was $115 to bring the "site man" to the door and then the meter started from that point. I won't ramble on but I'll let you all know what we finally get in our door after that 'advanture" is over. Crossing my fingers.

I did finish decorating for Fall yesterday so I finally feel like I'm back on schedule. Now to tackle some decluttering this week._____I hope.

Have a good afternoon/evening. 

Esteemed Contributor

Susan, going through old makeup can be a challenge but it is one that you are doing well. I have found that since wearing masks all day, I just concentrate on the eyes. It is so easy to get distracted from your "to do" lists, but it is usually something that needs to be done but not on the list.

Fressa--The birds are currently eating the food well with the exception of the larger pieces which I guess are for bigger birds that are not frequenting the feeder.. These are supposed to be non-sprouting if tossed to the ground but I think I will try a finer mixture the next time as these have been primarily smaller birds. Enjoy your Clarks TSV.

I dragged myself to the drugstore to get a prescription that the telephone message said was ready. I really hated venturing out as I was in comfy clothes for the house only and had to change. I now work Monday, Tuesday and Friday. I'm not crazy about the Monday and Tuesday jobs as they are about 20 miles away and I have to be there earlier and leave later because of the bus schedule.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

It's been cooler, dreary and wetter this week.  I have been catching up on podcasts, townhalls and various programming related to a PAC I support.  I don't want to get dinged for venturing into politics so I'll leave it there.

I did vote - absentee in the drop box.  Glad that's done and recorded as received.  I love the tracking my state does in that regard.

The state legislature won a legal battle against my governor so the nuts are about to run the asylm.  I actually heard the lawyer for the legislature tell the residents of MI to burn their masks, etc. on the local news this morning.

Our cases are high and personal responsibillity seems to be short so I guess it's going to be natural selection.  Smh

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Glad you liked the shoes so much that you decided to get another pair.  That happens to me sometimes --- usually black, navy/blue, and brown/tan/beige.  I usually put the brown or beige ones in the middle of the shoe rack so that I don't mix up the navy and black.  That is a problem with some Clark's sandals that I have.  No more shoes needed here.  Hope you like the boots, Fressa.  

I'm still not used to wearing a mask, but I wear one when I go out except on my walks.  I have one in my pocket, so if I run into situations where I can't stay six feet away from someone on it goes.  That happened yesterday when a crowd of four or five bicyclists were standing on the corner.  None wearing masks, and no one made an effort to move when I walked by near them.  Trying not to overreact.

Good for you with clearing out the excess, Susan.  I have such a problem with "to do" lists (distraction), that I really shorten mine, plus I put them on my calendar and set a reminder.  You are not alone in having that issue.

Sounds like you have a complicated choice with range selection, Fressa.  I have never bought a very special range like a JennAir, but I have salivated over some of my friends high end kitchen appliances, etc.  Most are good cooks, and spend a lot of time in their kitchens.  But, I understand some get very luxurious kitchens despite not doing much cooking.

Hi Bernie.  Glad you were able to vote already.  Arizona has very good voting by mail, and I think more than 75 percent of the votes were by mail at the last election.  I love being able to track my ballot on-line.  But, our voting has not started yet.  I saw that about the masks, and shook my head.  Burning masks -- yikes!

Church was different today -- an hour early, plus it included several different churches part of the "Southwest district".  My church was the lead, and they did a great job. There were a few "technical difficulties", but it was a very meaningful service.

It was nice and cool on my walk, but it is supposed to make it to 99 degrees today and tomorrow.  Still no rain, and the hotter than normal weather is predicted until at least next weekend.  Oh well.....

I have already done my Leslie Sansone DVD, and the only "chore" for today is a little ironing.  Should be a nice, relaxing Sunday (I hope).

Sorry for the death in the family, Glenda.  At least you had a chance to talk to your brother, but not being able to participate more fully in celebrations of life is hard.

Have a nice evening everyone and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Glad you are enjoying the weather, Susan.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Twinny - So sorry for the loss of your family member.

Honored Contributor

Love these fall days, got out and went for a walk. Otherwise, not leaving the house or shopping. Using the crock pot almost everyday for comfort foods. Put the flannel sheets on today.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, It's sunny & nippy.    A perfect fall day.  It's great that the birds are coming.  I don't like it when it's dark at 5:00 either. Enjoy your new shoes.    Good luck with your teaching job's next week. It's disappointing to see our Covid 19 numbers going back up every day.  

Bird Mama,  we had your weather for about a week.  Now it's going to be sunny and beautiful for at least a week or more.  I have a few outside DIY jobs to do real soon. Sand the spindles on our front porch and repaint them.  Do a little touch up painting of the foundation.  Nothing that is difficult to figure out.  I just need to go buy the paint and be in the mood to do it.  It's too bad that your Gov. is an idiot.  We are under a masking mandate until Nov. 21st.  Yippee!

fressa, good luck with your DIY projects too.  It's too bad that the fire pit cover is the wrong size now. I think that companies do it on purpose.

Susan, I still put lipstick on every day, then remember that it's Thursday.  Our grocery shopping day.  It looks like you are doing a great job with your decluttering.

We went to our annual Firemen's pancake breakfast for a drive thru lunch.   First time it's been a drive thru event.  

I have two dental appointments tomorrow.  I don't think I have ever done that before.  I have a 9:45 one, but since the mail isn't reliable right now, I am getting my cavity fixed and going back at 5:00 for a partial try in.  

We are so hoping to leave first thing on Tuesday morning for a day trip.  If it works out good, we are taking another road trip on Thursday.

I am going to be making a bunch of face masks for both of us off and on this week.  I am rusty with my plastic mat and rotary cutter (don't even know if that's what it's called) as I haven't used them for about 20 years.  I had even forgotten that I had them.  I made a cardboard template so I can cut several at one time.

The hot tub was wonderful.  

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda L, It looks like you are having a nice online church service.  We usually listen to one on the radio, but it's not our church which we miss a lot. I doubt that we will be able to go for the rest of the year.  It's not worth taking a chance.

RetRN, welcome to join us anytime.  Some days I walk, some day's we go to the gym & some day's I do nothing.  Right now I am going to make the most of this fabulous fall weather.

Thanks for the condolences.  His parents were one of my Dad's two favorite Aunt's & Uncles.  They made my Mom feel so welcome when she came to the USA from the UK.