Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, OCT. 4)

Good morning, shopping friends. Our prayers are with those affected by the record rain and flooding.

I have a friend who with her son was going to FL yesterday and planned to take the usual more direct route which would take them through the affected area. On Friday eve, I told them that they really needed to consider an alternate route even if it added a couple hundred miles. They debated and finally decided to take the alternate route away from the affected area. Today, they are so glad they made that decision especially because of a very late start yesterday.

I plan to go to the city today to see "The Martian." I had planned to eat out with a friend but the friend's dog is very sick so they are off to the emergency vet.

I may need a new mattress if the TSV sales pitch is correct but mine seems to be working well. I can't get in the mode of buying a mattress via TV.

Right now, I'm watching the Weather Channel while I down another cup of coffee before getting ready to go to the city.  I took a quick look at HSN but they were pitching amazing skin care by Adriene. 

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, OCT. 4)

Good morning to all.

Thanks for starting the thread this morning KK. Hope you enjoy your movie, one of my daughters saw it yesterday and liked it very much. I will probably wait till we can get it on Netflix, etc. I doubt that I would buy a mattress from TV, I prefer going to the store and at least have a chance to lie down on it first, but they sell lots of them so I know many people do prefer this method of purchasing. I'm glad your friends took the alternate route to Fl. The flooding is scary to say the least. No shopping for me today. I THINK that today will be the day I drag out all my Fall decor and sort through it, keep what little I intend to ever use, and donate the rest, while some folks might still be wanting some new to them, decor. Thinking I might also make a cake that I saw an easy recipe for, using just a cake mix, eggs and can of fruit pie filling. I don't use cake mixes much, but bought a chocolate cake mix just to try this, also have a can of cherry pie filling, so with the addition of some whipped cream this might faintly resemble a black forest cake, maybe. Anyway I am curious to see what turns out, lol. Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday. Waves...

"To each their own, in all things".
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good morning friends!  Jean - I join you with hoping everyone stays safe during the flooding.  We're overcast today and might even get some rain.  I hope so.  California needs rain!  Hope you enjoy the movie and outing.  Also - you're right about my shopping habbits.  It comes in waves.  I don't abuse return policies, but I have gotten better about not keeping things that I'm not happy with, especially clothing items, since we don't know how they're going to fit, look, feel, or match other items until we get them home.  I do like being able to try clothes on with other items I own though, to see how it works or doesn't work in my existing wardrobe.  Snicks - I did the opposite in regards to fall decor.  I never really had anything except a door wreath, garden flag, and one small cornucopia.  This year I added a very pretty garland sprinkled with extra pumpkins/gourds for the fireplace mantle.  I also bought gold colored mercury glass pedestals for my flameless candles (they will also be used for Christmas).  At a thrift store I found some little round autumn wreaths to go around the bottom of the pedestals.  I was happy to find those at the thrift store, so if you make a donation, hopefully someone appreciative will give them a new home.  Now I'm done with the fall decor.  Except for the glass pedestals which I keep in a cupboards, everything fits in one storage tub.

Yesterday my DS came home for the weekend.  He, like many other young people, is absolutely addicted to his phone, reading and texting.  He ignores anyone talking to him because of the phone.  I told him that he was being really rude, but he was too busy with the phone.  Geesh!!!  I'm going to have a heart-to-heart talk with him later about his obsession and his rudeness.  I'm ready for him to go back to college.  

Now, I need to get ready for church.  Hope you all have a nice Sunday.   ~   Charlene

Respected Contributor

wrote a long post, lost it.  Hello to all!

Honored Contributor

Hi Jean, thanks for getting us started today.  I hope that you are in the city enjoying the movie.  It's a good thing that your friend listened to your travel advice.  I bought a daybed in May.  It had been years since I bought a mattress and you would have thought I was spending a mint instead of just buying a twin size.  I told the guy at the mattress store, just leave me here and take care of the customers looking at the high end mattresses, this is going to take awhile.  I kicked my shoes off and rolled all over mattresses (lol).  I was on my back, on my side, on my stomach.  If there's a sleep position, I practiced it on two mattresses.  I'd be too afraid to buy a mattress from TV.

Hi Snicks, my fall decor consists of a wreath for the front door, a wreath over the fireplace, artificial flowers for the vase in the kitchen and a cornucopia (at Thanksgiving).  I bought a couple of these last week - Ducan Hines perfect size cake mixes (lol)

Duncan Hines® Perfect Size Lemon Bliss Cake

Duncan Hines® Perfect Size Strawberries and Crème Cake

Hi Charlene,  kids today can't be separated from their phones.  My nieces in their 30's and like their phones.  Their husbands are worse.  Never seen anything like it (lol).  I hope Church was good today.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Hi girls! Well, the pouring rain has finally stopped, but it's icky and cloudy out; fortunately it's gotten warmer again.  I need to make a trip to Walmart for a few essentials, and maybe I'll eat at Cook Out. 

Angelica took off again, breaking another tie-up in the process, so that's it - she can find herself another home. That dog has caused so many problems and is so destructive; she needs a home where there's a high, secure fence and nothing in the yard that she can wreck. (Keeping her in the house is out of the question; she chews up everything she can - except for chew toys - and has even ruined the shoulder belts in my car.)  I love her, but I have to think of me too, and I've been undergoing enough stress; I'm hurting so much I can hardly move my hands and my back is really aching. I guess I now know why no one claimed her when she turned up in my driveway...and I certainly don't need to deal with that witch at Animal Control.

I saw a sign for that Plenti card at the gas station and was wondering what it was so I checked it out. I think there's more than enough data mining as it is without giving them all that extra info on a silver platter.  Cat Frustrated That's one reason I probably won't shop at Food City; I don't want to give them all my info for a loyalty card, and even if I use a fake name, address, and phone number they can get info from my debit card. I HATE that - I not only value my privacy, but I'm so sick and tired of seeing ads everywhere!  Cat Mad  It's only a matter of time before we start seeing ads printed on our toilet paper!

Oh, people and their stupid phones - I can't for the life of me figure who they're talking to all the time.  Last week I went out to eat and a young man and a young woman were obviously together, but each was oblivious of the other, as they were both texting. How rude!  One of them wasn't paying attention and stepped on me, and oh, sometimes it's hard to resist snatching the phone out of someone's hands and stomping on it!  Cat Wink

Gee, I'm grumpy today...chalk it up to both being in pain, and - when I went to check the news and weather on my Kindle when I woke up but was still in bed - discovered that I had a pop-up on the browser from some devil who has nothing better than to try and scam people with a phony "announcement" supposedly from my ISP telling me I had won a prize.  I know better to click on anything like that, and there was no way to close the window or navigate away from the page without clearing the entire browser and losing my bookmarks.  No doubt if you click on the "OK" it would tell you that you have to just pay S&H and ask for your credit card info....which you'll then find hefty charges on. Cat Mad

On the plus side, my friend sent me a $100 Amazon gift card which will probably go towards the new Kindle Fire, and it's Sunday, which means I get to listen to all the prophecy updates which come out today. Cat Happy

Snicks, I've made that cake recipe several times - it's very good, and was a Bake-Off winner years ago.  You can also do other combinations, like peach pie filling with yellow cake mix, or apple pie filling (chop it up a bit) with spice cake mix.  Sometimes I make it as cupcakes. 

I bought my mattress when I bought my house, so it's about seven years old and in great shape. I used to have a knock-off Sleep Number bed which was wonderful, but the pump died and I couldn't get a replacement. That's too bad  - it was incredibly comfortable.

Hope you enjoy the movie, Jean; I'll catch it on Redbox. 

Guess I'd better get moving - have a blessed day, everyone!

Respected Contributor

Bird, you'll like this - thank the Lord for people like him!

Honored Contributor

@FunkyHulaGirl

The link didn't go anywhere.  I got a 404 error.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon! Thanks for getting us started Jean, and I hope you enjoy the movie.  So happy your friend took your travel advice.  That flooding looks terrible.

There are mattress stores all over, so I would rather go to one of them and try out the beds before buying.  Our bed does not need replacing at this time (thank goodness).  Somehow buying a bed isn't as interesting to me as other purchases.  

Hi snicks -- seems like you are doing the same thing as I did with my Christmas decorations.  I did donate a lighted pumpkin.  The funny reason is that I was having trouble with finding a place to plug it in, etc.  Then I thought -- why are you keeping this thing, Linda?  I have a small string of lighted pumpkins that I really like.  So, away the big lighted pumpkin went to the thrift store.  Hope you enjoy your cake.

Hope you do get some rain, Charlene.  We may get some needed rain here as well.  I certainly have seen the younger people with their phones -- way, way too much.  Hope you can get your son away from it for a minute so you can talk to him.  I know my grandchildren can sit around looking at their phones and not talking to one another -- pretty weird experience.  I never know whether to try to talk to them or not -- would they hear me while they are busy texting?  Who knows?  

That cake mix looks very interesting, Bernie. I am always trying to figure out how to make a cake that isn't too large for the two of us.  Recently, I made a fresh apple cake, and just made half.  Even so, I ended up freezing half of the cake.  It is yummy and easy, however, I have a thing for lemon cake, so maybe I'll pick up one of those new mixes.

Sorry about Angelica, Arlene.  Hope she can find a nice new home.  You certainly don't need the extra stress she brings to your life.  Hope you make it to the store.

What a shame that you lost your post, Kathleen -- hope you are having a good day.

Waves to twinny, Marijane, Susan, LindaR, Barbara, Rosa, Karen, Gayle, pinky ann, and all of our posters and readers.

I followed my plan and went to the earlier church service and then to the gym.  It felts pretty good to get my workout done so early.  I did miss seeing my "pew sister" as LindaR calls them, and I felt a little guilty since I could not do my pew tidying job.  But, not guilty enough to stop going to the earlier service.  LOL  

DH and I had a nice walk this morning, so I have all my exercise in for the day.  Not sure about my plans for the afternoon other than my usual ironing.

Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- I forgot to mention that hackers have attacked several of my accounts -- medical, stores (Target and Home Depot), and most recently, my government  pension.  Everyone offers me free monitoring after the fact, but I am very discouraged by all the hacking that is going on.  So far, no damage to my accounts, but.....