Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, OCT. 25)

Good morning, shopping friends. I was awaiting someone else to start the thread but finally tore myself away from Netflix to do the chore. All I can say about today is that I am no lover of kitchen gadgets, etc. I have the basics that work for me, so nothing more is needed. My idea of kitchen gadgts is either a microwave, a slow cooker or a George Foreman. Simplicity rules!!

I called yesterday to make a hair appoointment for the coming weekend as they are not in on Monday when I have the neurologist appointment.  They were booked up but my person said that she had a cancellation if I could make it there by Noon. Off I went despite being tired. It was a relaxing visit but the problem was the downpour coming home wasn't the greatest.

I still have laundry to do as I had no zest to do it when I returned home from the city. Today, I can procrastinate no more. I am about to load the machine for the first load. In the meantime, back to streaming "Walking Dead" from Netflix.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, OCT. 25)

Hi Jean, thanks for starting the thread today.  I'm glad that you were able to get your hair appointment out of the way yesterday.  

I hit the door running around 10 am and got my grocery shopping out of the way for another week.  Right now, my lawnmower is sitting on brown lawn clipping bags in my family room.  The new standard for lawnmowers is NO primer button.  Sure, Briggs and Stratton guarantee the engine will start, providing it's 70 degrees and above.  I was going to rake some leaves and decided to take the lawn mower approach.  Once the machine is warm enough, I will roll it out on the patio, replace the clipping bag with the mulch plug and God willing be able to start the machine with the pull cord.

This American made Snapper mower is fairly new.  That said, my next lawn mower will have an electronic start button  :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Good morning.  Greetings from sunny, warm az.  It is really good to be back . The house is clean...dh steamed the floors..we have ceramic tile...to get the bee yuck up. Our exterminator will be out next week.

jean..you must be getting excited for your trip. We had such a good time in Maui in August. I hope you have recovered from the consequetive days of work. No kitchen stuff for me.

i hope everyone is having a good Sunday.

snicks ..meant yo mention that some of that weakness you are experiencing i have had also...my rheumatologist said it is the ra...but good to have it checked.,no squats for me with my knee replacement...lol.

twinny..you are in my prayers for the meeting next week for your mom.

(((((hugs)))) to all.

Honored Contributor

Good morning all, thanks KK for starting the thread. Glad you got your hair done, even though it was a rush to get there, you should rest as much as possible today, in between laundry of course. I have every kitchen item I need, I do like gadgets but no room for more, so no shopping for kitchen stuff for me today. I had started a thread about palazzo pants on the fashion forum and have spent a lot of time on the computer looking at different websites looking for tops/jackets that might work with palazzo pants. I think I had decided on wide leg pants instead of actual palazzo's, as all that fabric flapping around would drive me nuts, and may have found a top to go with them, still am searching for a closer fitting, shorter dressy type jacket. Haven't ordered anything as of yet, though. Need to get off the computer now and get something constructive done. Waves to everyone....

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--I can't use a mower with a pull cord but I do have one that is lithium battery operated which is great for just around the house but not for use on the "back 40." It would require a couple of recharges. I got it when getting somene to do the lawn on a regular basis was an "iffy" situation, so I have it for emergency backup.

Barbara--It will be great to have a break but I confess it is much easier to schedule around  the summer when not working. This will be my last yearly trip to Hawaii. I consider it my other home, but the reality of dealing with health concerns, time required to get there and back plus rising costs have led me to consider it only when the urge strikes but not every year.

Snicks--I think wide leg pants is a greater option. I do hope you can find some you like. I think I remember Bob Mackie having some. There is something about a computer that gets addicting and has the threat of keeping you from doing needed tasks on a more frequent basis. Good job on tearing yourself away from the "puter."

I'm now watching "American Horror Story" streamed from Netflix. Great Halloween programming.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Well, I'll be a son of a bird (wink).  My 4 year old mower, that has been meticulously maintained, was going along fine for 5 minutes and just died.  When I say died, I mean died.  The pull cord is not moving when I try to start it.

To say that I am perturbed would be an understatement.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon!  Thanks for getting us started Jean.  Glad you had your hair done yesterday, and I hope you can relax today in addition to doing your laundry.  No more kitchen stuff for me either.  I do enjoy having my Keurig, but it is definitely a "toy" rather than a need.

So sorry about your mower, Bernie.  Hope it starts again soon.  I used to mow my leaves sometimes as well.  Certainly easier to pick up small pieces.

Hi Barbara -- glad things are cleaned up, and you are happy to be back in Arizona.  Our weather is very nice -- cool in the morning, which is easier for our walk.  And, it should make it up to the mid-80's, which is great by me.  No need for AC or heat here.

Wide leg pants sound like a good solution for you snicks.  For some reason, I really don't care for wide leg pants for me, but I know they can look great on others.  I'm sure you will find an appropriate top to go with them.  

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Susan, Marijane, LindaR, pinky ann, Charlene, Rosa, Karen, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

DH got up several times last night, but he didn't have problems with putting his underwear back on.  That was a great blessing since I didn't need to get out of bed.  We had a nice walk this morning, and I'm back from church.  Next up, we will be going to the gym.  I made one of those little cakes Bernie(?) mentioned, and I'll be interested to try it tonight after dinner.  This is the lemon flavor.

Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Hi girls! 

Well, I got the litter box scubbing done early, so that's out of the way; I have to get the second cousin's birthday presents ready to mail tomorrow, and hopefully the Christmas Child boxes. I shampooed the rugs twice, and will do so again - the water is still coming up really dirty.  I'll see if I have any energy left later...

My Jellybean disappeared into the attic area above the summer closet again and was gone for over a day; I'm going to have to do something to secure the door to that closet so he can't get into it anymore. You'd think he'd have learned his lesson the last time, but no...  Last thing I need is for him to fall someplace where he can't get out and I can't rescue him. (sigh) 

The handyman was supposed to come back today to fix the bathtub knobs, but I haven't heard from him one way or another.  He has the nicest young son - 14 years old, and polite as can be - kept calling me ma'am and his father "sir."  He has his own business as he's saving for a truck. I asked him what he'd charge to cut back the shrubs that are taking over and the tall weeds, and he said, "Whatever you pay me."  Well, funds are tight...it's not more than maybe two hours work (just around the front porch and by the street) so maybe $10 an hour?  He did empty the pool and put it away for me - I couldn't get that last inch of water out.

Bird, I can't pull the cord on power mowers either. I had tried an old-fashioned push mower, but it didn't work well on taller grass. I now have a SunJoe, and it's wonderful!  It's electric, but with a cord, so I have 100' of power cord and that works for me - the front yard isn't that big, and the back portion of the back yard is clover, not grass, and doesn't need to be cut.  It does a great job even when the grass is tall.

LindaL, I'm keeping you in prayer - please don't neglect yourself while you look after DH.

I'm not liking the new version of the Kindle Fire very much. For one thing, it doesn't have the Mayday feature, so if you need help with something you have to do it on the phone, which I resent as I don't get a lot of minutes, or via email.  Yesterday I talked to two different reps; one cut me off after 15 minutes or so, and the other before I could fully explain the problem.  Hmmm...intentional because they didn't know the answer or ??? I finally got one who was very good.

Meanwhile, I went to send back the defective one.  I put it in the same box and padded envelope it arrived it, and took it to UPS along with my LL Bean slippers and textbook for Amazon.  I dutifully put on the prepaid label as well as the one that said "Lithium battery inside," and figured that's that - after all, it was exactly how it was sent to me...sans lithium label.  The guy at the counter told me I had to put it in a special 200# box, and brought one out.  Seriously?  I told him it was packaged exactly as Amazon did it, but he wouldn't take it - claimed he could get a $50,000 fine.  Yeah, right...he just wanted to charge me several dollars for a plain ol' cardboard box...and he'd probably also charge for filler (the box was much bigger than the box with the Kindle) and for packing it.  So, I dropped off the other two boxes, and went to a UPS drop box with the Kindle.  Problem solved; I tracked it and it's on its way. Why on earth do they complicate things so much?  Cat Frustrated

The oven beckons - pizza for a late lunch.

Hi to everyone - have a blessed evening! 

Valued Contributor

Hi Everyone, It's been a productive day today, thankfully! The last two days I'd gotten very little done. Just had no zip, as well as a dull headache. I went to mass this morning, did some laundry, and got our holiday decorations repacked in a more streamlined fashion, and in doing that was able to scrape several older boxes that I was storing things in. I still have the Fold and Hold (?) hope that's the correct name, foldable bags the Q used to sell, and put them to work in the closet I had worked on. They hold a ton, and are so strong and light.

Tomorrow we have the VA for DH, so I wanted to stop in and say hello tonight. Wishing all a good week ahead! pinky 

Honored Contributor

After researching lawnmowers for the better part of the afternoon, I am the owner of a new Honda mower, lol.  I lucked out, my local Home Depot had one of the model I wanted.  If the engine issue in the Snapper was indeed my error, I've learned an expensive lesson I won't forget anytime soon :-)