Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, OCT. 18)

I don't pay an annual fee for my Amex card either.  I wonder why they fell out of favor with retailers.

It was chilly enough yesterday to get me off of dead center with some 'winterizing'.  I have a gas fireplace that I rarely use.  I bought an inflatable fireplace plug several years ago that helps with any drafts.  The fireplace has the metal mesh curtain that helps to prevent burns when the thing is on and glass doors that close when the thing is off.  In order to cut even more chill in the family room, I use 3M clear window film over the front of the fireplace.

3M 2149W-6 Indoor Window Insulation Kit-84X237 OVRSZ WDW INS KIT

It comes with double sided tapes and when you pull it taut enough, it doesn't look obvious (lol).

I also replaced the full size storm door screen with the full sized storm door glass. 

My fall/winter clothes are washed, my jackets and coats are ready.  This should guarantee a warm spell now :-)

I'm kind of glad that it's chilly and windy outside - I can put a hat on this bed head of mine, avoid a bra by wearing a heavier coat, and get my grocery shopping done.

Meijer's is a muti department store, like a Super K or Walmart.

I think I'll check out the winter accessories to see if any new scarves and hats came in.

Fingers crossed there is some kind of special on birdseed.  I'm almost out of seed and will pay full price if I have to.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--My understanding from what I have read and what a merchant friend told me is that the processing fee for American Express is higher than for Master Card or Visa. In addition, the application fee to be a merchant who accepts AMEX is higher. Since nearly everyone has a Visa or a MC, it doesn't benefit them to spend the extra money to accept AMEX.  Even if you pay a credit card bill in full each month, the bank makes money from the processing fee. In the Costco case, AMEX's contract was up so Costo submitted bids for credit card use and Visa won.

Good job on the winterizing!!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

The Amex card that I have is one of the high end ones that I got when I worked. The perks I get outweigh the annual fee so I keep it. Maybe not the most practical thing lol.

jean I have that poncho and love it...it is very soft and cozy. I think one hast be taller to carry it but it would be a great wrap when it is chilly. 

I have never trued harry London...no one I give gifts to eats candy.. Now if my mom were around that would be a different story. Lol

Super Contributor

@sydsgma1 wrote:

The Amex card that I have is one of the high end ones that I got when I worked. The perks I get outweigh the annual fee so I keep it. Maybe not the most practical thing lol.

jean I have that poncho and love it...it is very soft and cozy. I think one hast be taller to carry it but it would be a great wrap when it is chilly. 

I have never trued harry London...no one I give gifts to eats candy.. Now if my mom were around that would be a different story. Lol

I have never tried it either ...... Love See's candy though!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Barbara--The only fee card I have is my Chase United Mileage Signature Visa which has a $30,000 limit at this time but I can go beyond if necessary....and it is never necessary. I keep it for the same reason you do. The interest rate on it is far, far below the AMEX which has a 24,000 limit. I have absolutely no need for those high limits but it is nice to know they are there but I also know the banks hope I will use them and have to revolve the balance. I quit playing that game a long time ago, which is one reason my real FICO scores are in the top one percent with two bureau and in the top two percent with the remaining major bureau.

I am glad that you like that poncho. I decided I would be overwhelmed with it if I wore it out and I didn't need to pay that just to wear inside the house when I still had the cape style from last year.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Good afternoon ladies. Wow those are some cold temps. It was 50 when I left for church.

According to reports the fire is being contained. Some people are able to return home. Electric company has been working hard to restore power to them. Reports are it was started by a spark of someone shredding. I know they have worked hard at brush control. The contractor for the power company was at my house two weeks ago.

This morning I was looking out the door for the dog. I noticed a smaller fawn. Didn't see the mother. There was a mom and fawn I have been wAtching. The fawn is almost full grown now.

Esteemed Contributor

LindaR--That 50 degrees would feel great right now, but even that is low for your area. I read where it is hailing in Vegas; really odd weather around the nation. I do hope the fires are being contained; people need positive news so they can start planning.

I think it is time for cuddle time with Midnight while I read. I have a full week of work coming up so I need to be rested for the challenge. I'll check in later.

Honored Contributor

I lucked out on the birdseed today.  In the main aisle was 20 lbs. for $17.99.  I passed it and went to the side aisle where suet and all types of wild bird related items are sold and JACKPOT!!   40 lb bags (same brand) for $15.  I controlled myself and stopped at 2 bags.  I hauled 2  40 lb bags:  off the shelf into the cart, out of the cart onto the U-scan, off the conveyor belt back into the cart, out of the cart into the trunk of the car and out of the trunk of the car into the house.  I would say I've had my upper body workout for the day.

I left the house telling myself, take the old Camaro (her name is Cricket) for a spin and fill her up at the gas station.  I was so pre-occupied with taking Cricket for a spin, I forgot my shopping list.

It hit me when I arrived at Meijer's and I felt about 30 seconds of panic.  All in all I did well, only forgot eggs, which I don't eat often and a spare Zicam, which wasn't critical.

I didn't like the hats and scarves being offered.  I have hats and scarves, so there is no hurry.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I am checking in quickly to say hi to all of you & that I am alive & well.  Mom's party yesterday was very nice & I think that she actually enjoyed herself.  I had lots of help,  which was a gaood thing.  Our DD had been very sick with the flu for a week & then pneumonia for almost another week.  She is still very sore from some cracked ribs from coughing so much.  It was fun to see their 3 DC & also our DSIL.  They brought the cake, our niece & her family brought a very pretty balloon bouquet & my brother & his family proved a large wonderful ham.  I ordered a large cheese/sausage tray which was done up very nicely also.  My niece & her family left this morning as we were getting ready for church.  DH & I had lunch out today, came home to the hot tub & now it is off to see mom.  I am tired so hope to get a long nap in this afternoon also.  Hugs to all of you.

Honored Contributor

Twinny, I am so happy to read that you are doing okay after all of the excitement of guests and the party for your Mom.   It makes me glad to read that your Mom enjoyed the party; I hope her return to the rehab center was not too difficult.  It's hard when a patient gets leave of absence for a few hours and then has to go back.  I hope your daughter feels better soon - that's a pretty serious cough to crack some ribs.

You are gonna sleep like a log tonight.