Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, NOV. 18)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a beautiful sunny day, and I started it by buying the TSV. I think this is a time that I am being good to me. I have the original Echo as I bought it when first introduced as a test customer. I like the look of this and the height plus the value of 2 for 1 pricing.

I see they are selling the Little Giant Jumbo 3-Step Step Stool with safety bar that was just delivered on Friday. V35736.  I've been busy and on the go so I haven't had time to unbox it.

I am off from work this week. I started it yesterday by joing a friend for a late lunch/early dinner at the Outback in the city. I also delivered two boxes of items for donation. I am using this week to discover more items. I guess I can use either the Japanese method of "Do I love it?" or "When was the last time used" method.  

I've been enjoying Charlene's pictures of her trip to Virginia. I really do thinnk SG could give us a discount for promoting her fashions. They are great for travel.

Have a gweat day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, NOV. 18)

Thanks for insurance. According to Humana, as of 10/31, they were billed $22,182 by medical practices. My out of pocket was $789. No insurance? Full $22,182 out of pocket! Count yourself lucky if you are healthy and have no insurance. This doesn't include prescriptions.

All this info is online so this is going into the shredder as I get a monthly statement. I have a tendency to keep too many papers, so I'm trying to watch that also.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

Jean - Thank you for starting us today.  Good insurance is a blessing.  

Trying to get back to some type of normal today.  We lost power on Friday for about10 hours.  We set up our generator a few hours into the outage - did not look like were gettng power back for some time.  It runs the furnace, fridge and a few lights in the house.  It was enough to stay warm.  By late afternoon we went around to some neighbors to see if they wanted to come over.  One said they had to go out and then would come over and a couple went to relatives to stay.  We were lucky and by 6:00 that night we had power.  My sister in law and the nieces came and stayed last night.  They were thankful for a shower.  Their power is supposed to come on today - Keep you fingers crossed for them.

The outage was bad because of so many trees taking down the line.  There are still many around in neighboring areas with out power, so hopefully they get it today.  Even my niece said this is minor compared to the fires and shootings, pretty good for a 14 year old.  

Well I need to get a couple more things done here - Hope everyone has a great day.

Honored Contributor

Hi Jean @KonaKat   It sounds like you had a nice afternoon in the city yesterday.  Not only did you enjoy a good meal, you blessed others with your donation Woman Happy

As someone who worked in the health insurance industry for over 35 years, I learned early on about the benefits of health insurance.  Yea, sometimes we all gripe about the deductible, coinsurance, copays or out of pocket maximums.  When we see that EOB (explanation of benefits) and compare our responsibility to the charges billed then it sets in.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Hi Susan @PAlady  Thank goodness for your generator.  It was generous of you to open your home to your neighbors.  Your niece is wise Woman Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Susan--We take power for granted until something takes it out for hours of even a week or more. It was so generous of you to share your generated power with others. We had an ice storm several years ago that was so bad statewide in a February that it took out power lines throughout the state and downed some cell towers. I went a week without power so it was a big nippy in the below freezing temps. Some  bought generators to use since that event but I haven't had a several hour outage since that event and I have no generator.

Bernie--I thought of you yesterday when I got my eBates check in the mail and also when I read of JCP continuing to be on the endangered list of stores. I think too many people are like me in that online shopping is so much easier.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Glad you are having sunny weather and had a good time yesterday.  Enjoy your new Echos.  I really love mine, but I don't think that I need two more. 

Medical insurance is very important.  One thing I am not sure others realize is that the insurance companies work with the providers to get lower prices on procedures.  Some of the savings are remarkable.  But, I still would not want to be responsible for the full amount.  One of the reasons I looked for and found a job with the Federal government years ago was the opportunity to have insurance and a pension.  At the time, my ex did not have company sponsored/provided insurance, and buying an individual/family policy was expensive and had it had huge deductibles.

Glad your power is back, Susan.  Very nice of you to open up your warm house to others who did not have power.  Power is definitely something I need and miss horribly if it goes out.

Hi Bernie!  I signed up for JCP e-mails, and they seem to be sending me things constantly.  Looks like they have some big bargains for Black Friday.  I'm trying my best to resist purchasing anything that is not a "need", and I really need next to nothing.  How are your dinner preparations going?

DH's friend called the other evening to say that he had been invited to Thanksgiving dinner by his granddaughter who lives in PA.  He plans to leave on Tuesday (he lives in Maryland), and spend at least three nights at a hotel near her home.  He was grateful that she invited him, but remarked that it seemed to be a bit of a pain to spend that much time and energy for a couple of hours with the family.  I can understand how he feels.  It is also a great deal of work for the host/hostess.  But, I miss it.

I'm back from church and headed to the gym soon.

Hope everyone has  a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Fringe benefits can be as important as the salary or wages paid. I know someone who had no insurance but who had to have emergency surgery. They have been paying on that bill  for years. The employer at that time did not offer insurance and the individual always felt healthy and didn't see the need to pay pay expensive premiums for something he thought he would never use.

My 4 year old Echo is still working but not as well as it once did. I plan to put one in extreme areas of the house but areas in which I spend most of my time. One may be a gift but I'm still debating that as there is another area in which it could be used. This would permit me to stream my Amazon Prime music or Sirus-XM in various locations and still b able to hear it well. I guess I'm into gadgets.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, I am glad that you have sunshine and purchased the TSV.  I am not tech savvy so I don't have too many things to frustrate me.  Enjoy your days off.  Your lunch out sounded good to me.  I am sure that your donations will be appreciated.

Susan, I am glad that your power is back on & thank goodness for the generator.  It was thoughtful of you to invite others to a nice warm house.  All is good with our ds and ddil in the Boston area.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bird Mama, after working in the insurance industry for a real long time, you definitely know about having a good insurance policy.  When I was working  I had my company as my primary insurance (it was much cheaper than my DH's) &  his was my secondary.  Then when I had to go on disability, I had COBRA for 18 months.  That was expensive & then I realized that I didn't have to have it.  My first year's medical bills were over $300,000.  That did scare the Bejeeber's out of us.  I still tell my DH that "I am his million dollar baby.  I think that I am working on the 22nd million dollars.

Linda L. I was sorry to read a few days ago that you have to have cataract surgery sometime.  I was pleased when I had cataract surgery about 15 years ago.  It was great to be able to see again.  So far so good.  It is nice that your DH's friend is going to his dgd's for Thanksgiving.  You were wise to get a job with the Federal Government for more reasons than one.