Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, MAR 22)

[ Edited ]

Greetings, shopping friends. It is a sunny but quiet day. I don't need a VitaMix so I haven't looked at the Q today. I am expecting an order of cat litter and cat food from Amazon to arrive Tuesday but my UPS member thing says tomorrow. One day does not make a differece as this is a back up to what I have now. Cat food and litter is hard to find right now.

My vet practice implemented a practice that many practices are doing. Basically, the owner makes an appointment and when arriving at the practice, the owner will call from a cell to notify them that t hey have arrived. At that point, one of the practice's staff will come out and get the pet while the owner stays in the car. This maintains the acceptable social distance not possible in the waiting room. Today the practice posted this response on Facebook as to how it went:

Hello all. If your pet doesn’t need essential veterinary care, please do not risk exposure. We DO NOT want to close because we honestly feel the pets deserve care and attention if ill/injured, but limiting exposure human to human is imperative. So please, call if you’re unsure. We may implement video chats, and photos/texting very soon.

Since Wednesday (when we implemented the new policies) the response has been less than positive. I am very disappointed. Anger, door handle rattling, loud, insistent knocking, and impatience & irritation have been common. We are doing our best. There are very few guidelines right now for vets. Remember we are human and also sad/scared/stressed, so be kind! Two people caused tears among my staff on Friday. Many were downright rude. Unacceptable.

Finally, to those of you who have been kind and supportive (and not banging on our door, criticizing us!) we thank you. So, so much. ❤️ Both ends of the behavior spectrum will definitely be remembered for a long time. Take care all. Tell your pets we love them!

This time is very stressful to all as we adjust to trying to survive. Right now, with all the unknowns, I am choosing to wait to buy fashions as I have more than enouigh. I've been out of this house for a short trip to the city once in a week, and to town to get the mail and pick up prescriptions twice. It doesn't take a huge fashion wardrobe for that.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, MAR 22)

Hi Everyone!

KomKat: I was shocked at the note on the Vet's door but I don't know why I was. Trying times seem to bring out the best in some and worse in others. Our vet office is under quarrantine  However they are still operating with simillar procedures. I had called to order our female's allergy pills and ear cleaner with a one month advance. I called ahead and they ran it out to the car. I was so relieved that they were fllling prescriptions. I called our adult kids because we all use the same vet and they have dogs with prescriptions. I just wanted to give them the heads up. 

The battery store finally has some order ahead and they will run it out to the car today. I was so relieved. Replacing batteries is on my list of misc. errands when I have time and feel well. I was without batteries for most of our items but still had other lights working. Not knowing how long this situation is going to last I was gettin a little nervous about the battery supply. At least that's a small thing that is now handled. Simple things can make such a difference.

It's cold but sunny today. I can see a few streaks in my entry floor from the glazing liquid. I'm going to try to ignore that for awhile. My mop head kept flipping over. Odd. Whatever....it's done and on to the next chore on the list. Today is a misc. day. I'm trying to pay bills and do small tidy things around the house. Tomorrow will be laundry day and maybe this week I'll start washing the stack of throw rugs/runners. I sure know how to have a good time. LOL

I heard from my friend in S.C. and they have a Corona case in their gated community. They don't know have any details so they are staying indoors until there is more info.

I keep seeing stories about pet food being scare so I'm wondering if I should order a back up supply sooner rather than later. I think I'll decide by the middle of the week because of the delivery schedule.

It sounds like everyone has found chores, hobbies and regular things to keep busy. I need to do some misc. grocery shopping this coming week but will probabkly wait until later in the week. I need to do some banking (which is all drive thru now) at the beginning of the week. No lobby service available anymore. I hope they can handle all the banking thru the drive thru. The Christmas club seems to be a challenge w/e accounts. Crossing my fingers on that one. 

Stay safe and comfy. Hope everyone has a good afternoon/evening.

Honored Contributor

Hello Jean @KonaKat   Oooh, I can see how it could be difficult for some folks to hand their pet over to vet without being in there with the pet during the exam/testing.  Short of him being in the operating room and that one time I took him to a neurologist and he had an MRI, I can't recall being separated from my Max at the vet.  I've held him still during ultrasounds and an x-ray one time when they were short on techs.

This is where the love for the animal has to rise about the needs of the pet mama or daddy. Heart  There is no need to be ugly to abusive to the medical care professionals that are trying to help your (not yours personally) pet.

We are up to 1,035 cases (first case announced 11 days ago) and 8 deaths Woman Surprised  The stats were updated on my state's website at 2 pm and I'm still digesting it. 

I did order those ivory colored carved wooden boxes by Home Reflections the other day.  

"This time is very stressful to all as we adjust to trying to survive"

You hit it - this is not hyperbole.  I watch different state leaders address their people.  Mine (Gretchen) looks like a deer in the headlights and she manages to get the facts across.  Yours (Jim) struggled last night and I sincerely felt for him.  Andrew (NYS) gets me through on a daily basis even though I don't live there - must be the powerpoint presentations Woman Very Happy

Yesterday my sister swung by to drop off things for me and I had a shopping bag of things for her.  She put them on the porch went back to her car and said it was safe for me to step out.   Ain't that a shame.

Mary found out first and then relayed to me that my youngest niece couldn't find kleenex or paper towel.  We also found out that my youngest niece's only daughter just found on she is asthmatic this week (child is 8).

My Ma had COPD and my sister got into a habit of picking up kleenex most times she went to the store.  It became habit (Ma coughed alot).

Mary gathered kleenex and I told her, wait, I have the boxes of the Georgia Pacific hand towels on the wheel barrow in the garage.  I gave my sister extra paper towels for my niece so Mary dropped it off - same way, left it on the porch called niece and waived from car.

These are surreal times.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  It is extremely quiet here as well.  My church was supposed to be live streaming the service, and I was ready at my computer only to find that they could not do so since there was an overload of the system.  I believe many, many churches were trying to stream services.  They said a video tape will be available eventually.  

I had sort of arranged my morning around the church service, so I'm feeling a bit let down.  On the positive side, my oldest (in length of time being friends) called me for the first time in ages, and we had a long talk.  She is concerned because her son and family of three (including a young baby) moved from CA to NY last fall, and they are stuck in a two bedroom apartment near Central Park.  While both parents can work remotely, They have decided to split the day in order to take care of the kids.  What a mess.

Like me, my friend is staying indoors as much as possible.  Fortunately, she and her husband are in pretty good health.  She was telling me that a member of her bridge club died suddenly earlier this year from a strange form of pneumonia.  She said that one week she was happily playing bridge and two weeks later died despite not having other conditions and being rushed to a hospital known for treating serious conditions like she had.  It was not the virus, but sort of made the bridge club more aware of how fragile life can be. 

I think all of us are having difficulty dealing with the restrictions/changes to our lives.  Some seem to respond thoughtfully, generously, and kindly, and others -- like some of the patrons at your vet's office -- do the opposite.  I really hope that people will pay attention to the message from the vet.  Such cruelty to people just trying to help.

It is mostly cloudy here, but fairly warm and should make it into the 70's.  I think I will stick with my original plan to take my walk in the afternoon when it is a bit warmer out.  Might as well take advantage of the warmth.  

I have a bit of a headache, which I hope will be helped by the ibuprofen I just took (also have some aches).  After reading about the issues at the local food bank, I decided to send a check to them as well as money to the church.  Going to the mail box will be part of my walk.

I have a VitaMix and don't need any more kitchen equipment.  Like you, I certainly don't need many different outfits these days.  I am used to having gym clothes, clothes for my volunteering at the senior lunch program, clothes to wear out to lunch/church, etc., etc.  Now, the only thing I have is going to the grocery (only once per week), walking in the neighborhood, and picking up my lunches from the senior lunch program.  Just seems silly to add to my collection under the circumstances.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day and stays safe.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ifONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, MAR 22)

[ Edited ]

Fressa--The vet actually posted that on Facebook. I went back to edit and make it clear. Batteries are essentials. I need to get so.me for my flashlight; I have a functioniing lantern with batteries but just discovered I am out for the flashlight. I am sure that your efforts at home will turn out well.

Bernie--Our governor was the least articulate last night that I have ever seen. Everyone got built up to expect him to shut the state down except for essential services. Instead, we got the warning that we would end up like NY if we didn't stay put. I think he was trying to put the fear into people so they would do it without him doing it. Some people can't be frightened; it always happens to someone else. It is good that you can help those in your family and do it safely.

Linda--Our pastor had his sermon taped and posted on YouTube. I can see where streaming at the usual time might be good but with so many doing it, then the overload can take place. It is frightening when a person suddenly develops pneumonia like conditions and dies. It does remind us of how fragile life can be.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Jean, It's a cloudy quiet day around here too.  We are supposed to get rain this afternoon and a smattering of snow overnight.  Then rain for 3 days in a row.   That's terrible that people are so angry with your Vet and his workers. I have no need for a Vitamix either.  

We went to McDonald's for the egg sausage egg McMuffin for lunch.  I never dreamed that a drive thru lunch could taste so good. We have always gone in.  I don't need anything else either in clothing.  A jacket on the moped & a swimsuit of which I have several of.

We have been taking it easy yesterday and today.  I had my DH clean the ceiling fans blades and all of the light fixtures this morning on the main floor while I washed all of the crystal pieces on the dining room chandelier.  

Tomorrow, we start the finished basement one room at a time until we are done.  It's been fun spring cleaning and decluttering the house at the same time. I don't feel like I have wasted a week doing nothing.  Now we have to wait for St. Vincent's to reopen.

We just got out of the hot tub and my DH is sound asleep in his recliner.  

Nothing else is going on around here today.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--An egg mcmuffin would taste very good right now,. I get those when traveling and want a fast breakfast in the car. The hot tub is always a good way to relax and get rid of any stress.

I want to go outside for a walk around the house and get some things from the car. I will then discover my Kindle and read.

Esteemed Contributor

Fressa, I don't think that we have a battery store here, but it was a good way to get them.  It's a good thing that you were able to get your pet meds.  Sorry to hear that your SC friend has coronovirus in their gated community.  We are keeping plenty busy inside the house. It definitely passes the time away. 

Bird Mama, it sounds like you have quite a few cases of the virus in your state.  I haven't had the TV on much today so I have no idea how many cases are in our state.  Right now the radio is our best friend. We have been listening to a lot of oldies and goodies that we both enjoy.  I like the Ivory boxes that are coming your way.  Yes  it's a shame how you & your sister had to exchange things on your porch.  My DH tried to buy Kleenex this morning again and came up empty.  The store was vacant too which was a good thing.  We have the lotion tissues, but not the regular ones.  It's too bad about the 8 year old in your family with asthma.  

Esteemed Contributor

Linda L, our Pastor tried to stream a message for today, but I couldn't get it so we listened to a message on the radio.  Such sad news about your friend's son and his family moving from CA to NY.  It's such shocking news about the bridge club member dying so quickly and being rather healthy.  Right now we are spending very little time shopping unless it's necessary to go to the grocery stores once a week.  We plan to go on Thursday.

Our nephew in Paducah sent me a nice email this morning asking how we are doing.  He is busy with his job & said that there are a few virus cases in KY, but not where he lives. He understands why we aren't going down there next month.  My niece in S. IL will be disappointed,  but also knows the situation. I am just hoping that the situation is over with by September.  It's our Big Cheese Day's celebration & our ds and ddil have plane tickets and my niece and her family are planning to drive up here.