Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, MAR 17)

Good afternoon shopping friends. Happy St. Patrick's Day. I had completely forgotten about the date until seeing a meme on FB regarding it. I wore my green yesterday but not a solid green as I have nothing in a solid green just as part of a pattern.

It won't be long until Spring arrives, just a few days before I depart to see the Australian Fall. I think the temperature is expected to be in the 70s there today. I guess I'll take a light weight and a medium weight jacket. The last time I was there was during their Winter.

I just doing odds and ends right now, such as writing the vet the instructions about the care of Midnight, charging batteries, etc. Yesterday, I went to the city and got my hair cut, colored and highlighted. I also had lunch with a friend.

I was reading all the comments about dehydration. A doctor once told me that I didn't drink enough water as he could tell from the results of the urinalysis. Water is essential for all aspects of life and some mediical issues require more drinking of water than what some consider the norm. Even beautiful skin calls for water. I am one of those who takes in plenty of fluids but shortchange the intake of pure water.  I say that as I reach for my cup of coffee. Caffeine is a dehydrator so it doesn't count much as a water intake.

I guess I'll be taking the coming week as easy as possible so I'll be rested for the trip. The orthopedic was excited that I was still traveling and doing things at my age and orthopedic issues as most people quit. I am not one to do that until I have to. I don't feel the 77 I soon will be. I have former students who look as old or older than me. Part of it is mindset; part of it is keeping active despite medical issues.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, MAR 17)

[ Edited ]

I guess I was just a bit late in posting.  Here was my effort at starting our thread.   I will go back and delete it and be back to read yours, Jean.

------------

Happy St. Patrick's Day, ladies.  It is sunny here, and it should make it into the  70's -- my kind of weather.  Hope none of you are having storms or other weather-related issues.

Very happy your DH is home, twinny.  Hopefully, there are no other issues besides dehydration.  Before I retired, I attended a pre-retirement session at work.  It was great, and covered things like finances, insurance, planning for what you will do in retirement, and health.  That is when I first realized how important it is to keep hydrated, particularly when you are older.  I was not in the habit of drinking water or other liquids between meals, so it was a change for me to drink water "all the time".  One way I make sure to get enough water is to drink water before breakfast.  This is important for me since I usually take a walk first thing in the morning (before breakfast), and it is important to have something after sleeping. I have all sorts of water bottles in the refrigerator just in case.  Anyway, best of luck to your husband.  I am sure both of you are very happy he is home.

Happy to hear about your pregnant goat, Charlene.  I'm sure your DD has some difficult days, but good that she is happy with her career choice.

My hospice visit went well yesterday, and I will be going back on Wednesday afternoon since her caregiver has a medical appointment at the hospital.  

It should be a busy day for me with church, gym, and widows group in the afternoon.  I have a little ironing to do as well.

Not sure if I mentioned it here, but I am reading yet another decluttering book.  Nothing new and exciting, but hopefully will keep me motivated to continue with my efforts.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day, and please post if you have time.

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- I heard that drinking coffee and tea isn't as dehydrating as we used to think, Jean.  Not sure that is true, but it made me feel better.  I know you are excited as you should be about your upcoming trip.  I know you will have a great time. 

You are doing great with staying young despite your calendar age.  I am trying to do the same.  You do look younger than many your age, and I know that attitude counts a lot.  A couple of my friends traveled a lot before having health issues in their 80's, and that was true of DH.  My idea is to do as much traveling as I can until it is no longer possible.  Worth the expense and the inconveniences, etc.  I don't know anyone who regretted traveling.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I think we both looked and didn't see the thread and then took action. I wanted to say how much I enjoyed your pics of DH you posted on his BD. I know it was a painful time but also a time that you were able to recapture the good times.  I think it is important that we enjoy what time we have as we are not promised an indefinite time. You are moving on but keeping his memories alive.

As much as I know I should drink water, I have problems doing it. 2 glasses at each meal and one at two other times would do it. They, whoever "they" is, that you should drink one half of your weight in water if overweight.

As far as decluttering is concerned, I don't think there is the one solution for all; I think we have to modify and adapt what works for us. Apparently, I "love" everything as I'm not making much progress using that method. On the other hand, I can set a number to "rescue" each day for donation, trash, etc. and feel as if I am getting somsewhere. I like numbers as I can measure progress.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Hi ladies,

https://www.dvd-ppt-slideshow.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/everyones-irish-on-march-17.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

meallen--Thank you for the great graphic. Are you wearing the green today?

I'm indulging in a little Netflix while finding ten things to go .

This link from a minimalist site gives suggestions for a calming evening routine:

https://www.becomingminimalist.com/calm-evening/?fbclid=IwAR0Ls8FfJBXHO6uYKxe_IUAwV70kSBX2bG-peaLurv...

I actually do several of these. I don't do FB, computer or TV an hour before bed, and spend time thinking about the positives of the day as well as then reading before going to bed.

How to handle sentimental clutter:

https://tinyurl.com/y6jcsmfb

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I am trying to reduce the clutter but it is a challenge. Too much collected over the years with little done to thin the herd. I need motivation to strike on a more frequent basis. I read this in an email I got from "Becoming Minimalist."

On average we see 5,000 advertisements every day and every single one of them seeks to convince us that possessions make us happy. And because we hear that message so many times, from so many angles, we begin to believe it. As a result, we start spending our lives working long hours to make good money so that we can buy more and more stuff: bigger houses, nicer cars, trendier fashion, cooler toys, faster technology.

But when we again hear the simple message there is more joy to be found in owning less than we can find pursuing more, it rings true in our hearts. Deep down, we know possessions don’t equal joy. And we know our life is far too valuable to waste chasing them.

The problem is that we adquire these things so gradually over the years without serious thinking and then "reducing the herd" that the task becomes overwhelming for many. Ten items a day is manageable, That is 3650 items a year. 5000 ads a day? Time to block those or ignore them. Visual stimulation is a biggie!!

Honored Contributor

Hi Jean @KonaKat  thanks for starting the thread.  It sounds like you are just about ready to hit the friendly skies Woman Happy  I drink water like a fish and I'm trying to remember how that started.  I really do believe it's an acquired taste/habit.  In the morning I have to have some water as soon as I get up.  I usually keep a tumbler of cold water near me all day.  I keep a 3 liter rubbermaid pitcher full of water in the fridge and I try to empty that thing at least once per day.  After all of these years, I actually crave water, even in a restaurant when I go out to eat.

I usually drink 3 cups of coffee in the morning and in between cups I'm drinking that water (ha ha ha ha).  One would think after all the water I drink that I'd be running to the restroom all day - nope.  I even asked my doctor one year to check my kidney function when he drew blood - nothings wrong with me.

You have the right approach to life - it's meant to be lived and enjoyed.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte   I'm so glad to read that the visit with your hospice patient went well yesterday.  I never knew coffee could be a diuretic however I did hear that about tea.  The 'rules' for food and drink are always changing.  For a while there eating eggs put a person on the fast track to the hereafter.  I subscribe to everything in moderation.

Honored Contributor

Happy St Patrick's Day @meallen616 

Image result for Happy St Pat's day

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--Everything in moderation is the key. You have established a healthy habit of drinking water with other beverages just being the accent.

I have my 10 things selected for my decluttering goal of the day and are boxed ready to go when I go.