Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JUNE 28)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is another rainy day with storms in the forecast for each day this week. The cooler temps as a positive will result in lower AC costs, and I saw an individual post on FB that they had turned on the heat this morning to drive out the chill.

I have no idea what the TSV is as I deleted the email and didn't look at the siste, nor have I seen any Q programming today. I re,e,ber im the old days I would frequently stay up to Midight to see what the TSV would be. That was also a time when it seemed the pricing was much better. Now, it pays to wait and read the reviews for the very few dollar difference.

My big efforts of the day are few. I organized my medicine thingie for the week: 8 pills in the morning and 7 in the evening, not counting vitamins and calcium supplements. I also spent an hour not feeling the love on some items so they are destined to go elsewhere.

I did buy a tire compressor  today as my old one died. With the roads I travel, I have to keep on top of the pressure.

Midnight is taking a nap, oblivious to the weather outside. He will soon be 12 years old and will be celebrating 9 years with me. Time flies as it just seems like yesterday that I adopted him.

I'll be off to fix lunch soon. Afterwards, I might discover some more things I am not feeling the love and will be singing, "Let it go."

Arlene--If you did not see it, there was a 5.0 earthquake near where you used to live on the Big Island of  Hawaii. I keep missing those events. I guess it was felt clear in Honolulu. Pele is increasingly getting upset.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

rain.JPG

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JUNE 28)

Good morning KK and to everyone who follows as posters or readers. We also had a bit of rain/sprinkles this morning, the rain seems an everyday occurrance here this year, strange as that is not the norm for this area. It is also a bit on the cooler side, not enough to shut down the AC, just to keep the humidity at bay, for one reason.

No shopping for me again today (you know I am finding this has really become my habit and it is a good one that I hope I keep for a long time, lol, and it's pretty easy for me to maintain this habit). Of course there are times when I do shop, but it has  become pretty much necessities only. Heaven knows I don't need any clothing at all, or shoes, so am pretty set.I did get my yard/storm debris all picked up although the yard was still very wet, and a small area weeded yesterday, and so far today have just been relaxing, Don't have any real plan for the day but will probably do some sorting of the ever present 'stuff', or depending on how wet it is outdoors, more weeding, etc.

Good for you getting the tire compressor, that is indeed a need. Isn't that something about the earthquake? Mother Nature is always up to something.

Waving hello to everyone, I may check back later, depending on what I end up involved in doing this afternoon. Hope everyone has a good day.

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Snicks--You are doing a great job with the spending. I think sometimes people, and I can speak from experience, get caught up in the hype surrouding an item or items and feel that it is an essential part of life.  I remember many times I would order something highly touted on the forums only to find it was so so for me and didn't ring the "love button."  I read this info now, but then carefully think about it. My lifestyle and preferences are not necessarily that of others. I don't live in a city with all its multiple activities that require fancy clothing as much as I might like some of it. The cost effectiveness of a purchase is the big consideration I have when purchasing wants, as well as needs.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

KK, I have done the same in the past, I have a closet full to prove it, ha. The last year before I retired and the first year of my retirement I knew I didn't need any more of that type clothing but had a hard time switching gears, so to speak. I think I got it now (not swearing on a stack of bibles about it, however), I can never guess when something just tells me I have to have that. I never make any promises to that effect, even to myself, lol. All we can do is our best.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Snicks--I think we both have a handle on it. I still have too much and I think that 80/20 rule definitely applies to me in whch I wear 20 percent of my things 80  percent of the time. 

I went to Amazon to read the reviews on that "joy" method of decluttering and found ths review (I bolded one part of it):

I rarely write reviews, but this book truly sparked something in me that I feel compelled to share. The basic concept is to only surround yourself with things that spark joy. Decide what you want to keep, not necessarily what you want to throw away. I have bought other organization or purging books in hopes of getting my cluttered home in order. This book was the only one that I read all the way through and actually put into practice. The anthropomorphism in this book spoke to me for some reason. ..... An unexpected surprise for me (and total joy to my husband) is my newfound frugality while shopping. I used to be a borderline shopaholic. But now, I truly just buy things I want around me. I think differently as I shop. I know it's a change that will last. It's strange but true.

I may get the Kindle version. I was notorious for reading and had books all over the place. Since getting the Kindle a few years ago, that problem has disappeared  I now have just a few treasured books; the rest are either on the Kindle or in the Cloud to read whenever I want.  I just need to translate this into other areas.

Until I read the book should  decide to do so, I am concentrating on "Does this bring me joy?" The revews in themselves are very motvating to me in eliminating that whch does not bring me "joy."

How much of an impact? I just came from the bathroom where I got rid of a few things that did not bring me joy. I saw Midnight and said, "Do you bring me joy?" He definitely does so he is a keeper!!

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Jean - Thank you for starting us today, good job on the decluttering.  I have been working on that slowly but surely.  I have my side room almost where I want it, I have some papers to decide on and a little pile of stuff to work on.  But good news you can see 98% of the floor now.  Glad you "decided" to keep Midnight ( I don't think you had a choice).

Snicks - Good job on the spending.  Once you start decluttering you just don't want to spend the money on more stuff to declutter.

Not much going on here today, the rain has taken a break and DH is empting some water out of the pool.  It is almost overflowing.  Off to get some tea and do something constructive here.

Have a good day everyone.

Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone!  - Twinny - congrats on your DD and DGC doing well in their martial arts endeavours.  I think that activities and hobbies are great for young people, sometimes in ways that you can't even foresee.  Hope the trip to your DH's hometown was fun.  Bernie - good job on the decluttering.  I go through bursts of decluttering now and then.  I did a bunch at the beginning of the year (and I did sing "Let it Go" a few times).  The KonMari method sounds interesting.  Jean - That's a lot of pills you have to take every day.  I have to take 4 a day and sometimes even that's hard for me to remember, lol.  BTW - I also used to look forward to QVC's TSV everyday, though here in CA, they would start at 9:00 pm, so I didn't have to stay up late.  I just remember that they often had really good deals, especially on jewelry.  Now, the TSV's don't seem very well priced, so I'm not that interested anymore.  When I buy things from QVC it's usually a lunchtime special, an "as-is" item, or maybe on clearance.  

Well, my DD and I made it to Santa Anita Racetrack yesterday.  We stood for 2 hours next to the walking paddock to make sure we'd have an up close and personal view of the horse American Pharoah (who was the first horse in 37 years to win the Triple Crown.)  I couldn't believe that I was standing 8 feet from him.  I posted my favorite photo of him on Facebook.  I also enjoyed spending the day with my DD.  She's good company and I feel blessed to have her as my daughter.

~ Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

Susan--Keep up the great work. We didn't acquire this stuff overnight and we won't get rid of it overnight. The challenge once the sideroom, etc. is completed to satisfaction is to keep it free or clutter and organized. Just as in weight loss, you can't relax once the goal is reached.

I did like those burner cover/prep boards I saw on the item review from the Kitchen show. Iuse a couple I got from Amazon but they cannot serve as prep boards. I put them on my wish list. I don't need them right now.

I'm back to watching "Breaking Bad" streamed from Netflix. That is my "joy" for the moment.

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--You were so fortunate to be able to see American Pharoah up close and personal. I saw the picture on FB. Lucky you!! I'm glad that you had DD had such a rewarding day. The TSV is shown at 6pm in Hawaii when we have Daylight Savings here. It really feels odd to see it presented at that hour. I've bought a few items from "As Is" and have had no problems. The savings there is usually better than the clearance prices.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, it sounds like you are doing a great decluttering job.  I try to get rid of expired rx drugs, but I still find some very old ones.  Midnight sounds like a real keeper too.

snicks, we are getting sprinkles today, but I am loving 70's by day & 50's at night.  I usually keep my spending in control as I left work 14 years ago but I did buy 3 pairs of shoes in one day a few weeks ago.

Susan,  good for you at getting that much floor cleaned up.  I like to declutter as I don't like looking at junk.

Cerb, how fun to see such a closeup view of American Pharoah.

DH & I had a really nice time at his hometown's 125 anniv. celebration yesterday.  Lots of old memories.  The polka band was fun even though my dancing days are over.

It is going to be a leisurely day today.  Tomorrow I do have a consultation regarding my ultrasound done last week.

Hugs to all of you