Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JUNE 24)

Good Morning!  It is another hot and sunny day here in southern Arizona.  Quite normal for this time of the year.  DH's DD and family were in Seattle yesterday, and she told me it was cloudy and quite cool there.  I'd rather be here in the heat, but I know others prefer cooler weather.

I'll be going to church in a while, and after church to the gym.  Planning to visit DH later and feed him dinner.  He was in good shape yesterday -- alert and smiling a lot, and I turned on World Cup Soccer which he seemed to enjoy (not that he could follow the game, but.....)  He ate is new normal food, and he made it clear that he didn't want anything else to eat or drink.  I'm learning to deal with this and just enjoy his sweetness.

I got things done yesterday -- laundry, financial review, etc., so today I only have ironing to do, and not much ironing at that.  I don't mind ironing, but I have found that some of my clothes really don't need ironing these days.  SG, Linea, and Bob Mackie clothes that I have often do not need ironing.  That is probably good to remember when taking a trip.

When I was looking at my closet I realized that my problem is too many choices.  Definitely need to call a halt to buying more clothes and shoes as long as I already have so many nice things.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice Sunday, and please post if you have a chance.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JUNE 24)

Linda--Thank you for starting the thread. I am happy that your visit with DH went well yesterday and that he appeared to be happy, smiling, and being assertive about his food choices. Sometimes, it is very difficult to believe that someone should be eating more, etc. but there are times this is not possible for a variety of reasons. As you said, enjoy the plesant times with him.

I was up early and turned on the Q only to see a spectacular SG top. I salivated but didn't "dine" on it when I saw the $70+ price. I have a similar one from Bob Mackie at a much lower price.  I'm with you on SG, etc. fabrics for non-ironiing and for use on trips. I'm debating the TSV.

I updated my expenditure spreadsheet this morning, and see that I am on track for paring non-essential spending for this month. My dining out will be within the budgeted amount. I did my routine daily check of my  credit cards online to make sure that all is in order.

I've started another donation bag, and while taking a break discovered the purging thread in the home forum. That might be a place to go if motivation is needed to keep us on track  or even get back on the track.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

I've spent a couple of hours going through drawers, one of which I had not opened for years. Inside were all my diplomas and some of my awards. Would you believe I still had a copy of my high school senior class schedule tucked inside my high school diploma. Now, that is ancient history. I still kept it. The diplomas were alll tucked inside one of those vacuum packed bags.

I think I have earned a couple of hours of reading as I have one donation bag started and one trash bag started. No, the diplomas went back into safe keeping.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

We had a downpour late yesterday afternoon and I checked, through the upstairs windows, how the gutters were doing.  Would you believe, after risking my life on that flippin extension ladder this past Tuesday that I think I missed a spot over what is considered the master bedroom?  I saw water spilling over the gutter which means there's a blockage somewhere. 

This is one time I wish I had a drone, lol.  Maybe I can duct tape a mirror to the telescoping pole, remove the screen in the master bedroom window and see what the heck is going on, from a safe environment, inside the house.  

I spent some time yesterday and a few hours today in the garage addition.  I went through jars and containers of scr*ws, nuts, bolts and all sorts of metal things.  I just got home from the recycling center - I recycled at least 1/2 a trunk full of metal.  

I keep telling myself that I'm getting there even though there is more to sort/purge.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--You have been a real Energizer Bunny Wabbit with all the work you have done lately. You are setting the bar high for us!  Did you check to see if the downspout was clogged? Frustrating to do that work and then see the water pouring over the gutter. You are getting there. I have to admit that it is difficullt to see the end when there is so much to do. I guess that is when we focus upon x things a day. When that number is accomplished, we know that something is accomplished.

Off to have a Lean Cuisine pizza for dinner.

Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone - I've been reading our thread, though haven't been posting much this week.  Linda - thanks for starting us today.  I'm one of the ones who would like it cooler, though I wouldn't know how to handle lots of snow.  Glad that your DH was doing well yesterday.  Jean - I've been looking at the purge thread myself, how funny!  After cleaning our library, I found a few more books to get rid of. I think the total is around 80 books.  I already took some to 2 nearby little free libraries.  Bernie - what a bummer to discover you didn't get all of the chia pets cleared out of the gutters!  

I've been keeping busy on a number of different projects, including the beginning of a new comforter/quilt for the guest bedroom.  That will be an off-and-on project for months.  I've also spent more time gardening.  Much to my chagrin, those blasted gophers have managed to kill 4 of my 20 tomato plants.  We've declared war!

Waves to all  ~  Charlene

Trusted Contributor

I'll add - another "project" I've been working on is typing highlights from a few non-fiction books.  Sometimes I'll read a book about health or finance and I want to keep some of the good info, but am learning that I don't need to keep the entire book.  So I type highlighted info onto the computer and then donate the book.  Makes it much easier to retrieve the info, and I can lighten the load of books.  

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene---That is a great idea about keeping the info from the books by copying it and then donating the books. Certainly eliminates them taking up space.  Do you also have critters that eat your flower bulbs? Between them and the deer, I've given up. There were 5 deer in my back yard last week.

Honored Contributor

Jean @KonaKat  I went back out front and eyeballed those sky high gutters, lol.  Some chia pets gathered at the corner where the gutter turns along the side of the house upstairs, immediately in front of the downspout.

I got on the front porch roof again, got some chia pets out, then used my pool net telecoping pole with a small shepherd's hook duct taped to the end. That allowed me to only have to go up the ladder so far and then rake out the last part of the gutter with the shepherds hook. 

Probably hard to get a mental picture, but I tested the job by shooting water from the house onto the second story roof and watching the second story downspout.

I don't know if this solves the master bedroom gutter overflow issue but it was an issue that needed to be taken care of anyway.

I will have to do the second story gutters in the back of the house too.  I didn't get as many maple pods back there and I think I will be able to approach the back smarter now that I've done the front 1 1/2 times, lol.

I have no soft shrubs to break a fall in the back, nuthin but concrete.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise