Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JUNE 21)

Greetings, shopping friends. I used to love to shop and you could say I had a black belt in it. That was at a time I had problems in stores finding clothes that fit that I liked. It was a bummer to travel over an hour one way to shop but not find anything. I was a plus size at that time, and those clothes were generally found near the back of the store. Shop sales then? Trust me, the only sales items available were the extremes in sizes, or colors no one really wanted.

The black belt in karate came from discovering that the Q had a great selection of fashions at various prices. Yes, shipping was involved but so was the cost of gasoline for a 120-140 mile round trip. The trade off was that I knew that if the fashion had the color I liked and in my size, I could shop from home and not waste time and money on the road.

Yes, prices are increasing but they are everywhere. If you want  quality item, then there is a price to be paid which means that one no longer buys multiples of the same item if it is a great one. I have items from the Q that are classic and withstand the test of time and wear. I also have what I call one season wear for clothing that might be consider trendy and not be in vogue the next year. These are the items on which I do not spend much money. Being on a fixed income, I find myself not buying some lines now that I once found reasonable. 

The item may appear appealing on air, but do we really need it? What will be the cost per wear? An item that cost $20 but only worn twice for one reason or another is $10 per wear. An item that cost $50 that is worn 5 times is $10 per wear, or if it is worn 10 times, it is $5 per wear. Is it the cost of the item, or the number of uses you might get from the item that determines if it is expensive or is a wise investment? Obviously, this is an individual decision and not "one size fits all."

On the personal front, I have completed two sets of the three expected daily sets of home physical therapy assignments. I am watching an Amazon Prime movie. If you are a Netflix addict, I highly recommend the Netflix series "Lenox Hill," a documentary style look at real life doctors as they treat patients and their personal challeneges.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely---and stay safe in this challenging environment.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JUNE 21)

Hi Everyone!

It is in the 90's today and hugh humidity. The same is expected for tomorrow. No a/c has me feeling crummy but I'm just trying to get thru it one day at a time. 

KomKat--I agree with your thinking on the cost per wear.  Your story sounds similar to mine except I did have lots of stores near me. What finally tipped me was spending 4 hours one night trying to find a denim skirt for my dil (who happens to be a petite plus size) and spending a fortune on the only one I could find. QVC was such a time saver to me and easy for returns (in those days). I have been scaling back my spending the past few years but seriously changing my habits in the last year. 

I did get outside to water the front and sides even if it was sunny. I knew that once evening arrived I would be too tired to drag that hose around outside. No rain in the forecast for a few days. I only saw one deer today so I think the heat has them staying in place. It gives me a couple of days before they have breakfast with the hosta and lillies. 

I'm making a late lunch of hamburgers and baked beans and a salad for dinner. I think that will work better in this heat. My husband loves to snack so I like to get one meal Of "real" food in him at some point. ha ha!! I just wish i could eat and digest that kind of food. It always looks so good. I am a salad and veggie gal but I do love my sweets!!!  What a combination. LOL

Stay safe & comfy.

Have a good afternoon/evening. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  I still really enjoy shopping, and I guess I had a black belt in it at one time.  I so remember going out shopping with my Mom on the weekends.  That was when I was working, and had the money to purchase clothing that I liked.  Never expensive "designer" stuff, but things I enjoyed.  Searching for bargains was a lot of fun.

There were stores not far from where I lived at the time.  But, I was thrilled when I found QVC because of the variety of items that you could order in the color and size you wanted rather than searching around.  The prices were not that different than the stores.  Those times have changed for me.  Being retired, I certainly don't need such a big wardrobe.  And the prices have really gone up without a similar increase in my income.  So, I have really cut back in shopping and buying clothing.  I am really trying to focus on other things.  It doesn't hurt that I already have tons of clothes that I like.

Glad you have done your PT for the day.  I just finished watching my church service, and it was great.  I loved both the message and the music.  

It continues to be hot and dry here with a high of 102 degrees predicted.  Fortunately, it was pleasant (cool) on my walk.  Two grocery stores in the nearby town have stated that they will be requiring masks despite their use not being required by the town.  No word from Wal Mart so far. 

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day.  Happy Father's Day to any of you lucky enough to still have your Father or the Father of your children at home.  

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. I saw one of my gym buddies this morning when I was walking, and he said that he has joined a commercial gym in our area since our regular gym is not open.  He said he wasn't that crazy about it because there were a lot of "young bodies" there.  That made me giggle.

ETA -- your weather doesn't sound nice, Fressa.  It is very hot here, but also very dry, which is easier for me to tolerate.  That is some story about your shopping for your DIL.  What a shame that you have trouble digesting food that looks good.  I know my DD has that had problem, particularly after she had her gallstones operation years ago.

Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone - really enjoyed your philosophical thoughts about shopping, Jean.  I also consider the per-wearing cost of items.  

In the past 4 years I have lost about 40 pounds.  For the most part lately, I've been shopping in the storage tubs of my "she shed" digging out smaller-sized clothes that I haven't worn for a few years.  It's a nice surprise to find when old clothing once again fits. 

About the only clothes I have purchased recently are smaller sizes of a few items that I really loved.  I've been haunting ebay with a short list of favorites.  I get really excited when I find a replacement.  4 years ago about 80% of the clothes in my she shed were too small and now it's reversed.  About 80% of the clothes in my she shed are too big.  It's a nice feeling.

This past week I also started doing some altering/hemming of clothes that I wasn't wearing due to them not fitting quite right.  It's time consuming, but I don't mind it too much.  I've been watching old episodes of "Botched" while I sew.

Oh - and my family successfully made it out of the escape room yesterday within the allotted time and we had a bunch of fun doing it.  Yahoo!!!

Hope everyone has a great day.  ~ Charlene