Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JUNE 19)

Good morning, shopping friends. This is a very special day to honor fathers, so today's appreciation goes to all fathers living and deceased. This is also a good time to recognize those mothers who have to do double duty and perform the role of an absentee father.

I'm watch the Clarks show on QVC but have no desire to buy shoes right now. I am well stocked. That doesn't mean that I won't buy at some time but many styles require me to try them on before buying, especially after I broke a toe and bone in my right foot a few months ago.

I'll be going to the city for an appointment on Tuesday, so today and tomorrow, I hope to find more items for donation. It is a slow process for me but something removed is progress especially if nothing is bought to replace it.

I did get on the scales this morning, and compared to last Sunday I have lost 5 pounds in the past week. I know that most of it is water loss as I tend to retain water in Summer when out and about but also lose it quickly once I am home and not eating much sodium, etc.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JUNE 19)

Good Morning, & Thanx @KonaKat for the start.  Are you dieting? if so congrats on the loss, it might not be water.  I agree about the mothers raising children without fathers, they need all the help they can get.

Hot/humid here again today so I'm inside with the Sunday papers & crosswords, will go out later to check the pots, they really need water every day.  Maybe I'll work on adding to the bags I'm collecting for the Sept garage sale by Friends of the Park, I know it's a long way off but this way I have plenty of time to think about more to add.

Hope all of the DH's that are fathers have a wonderful day

Essie

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning, and thanks for getting us started Jean.  I really like Clark's shoes, so I'm trying to be strong again today.  Like you, I find it necessary to try on shoes before purchase these days, and I didn't even break my toe.  Unless I have the exact same shoe, I'm nervous about purchasing them on-line if there are any shipping and/or return charges.  I have found some shoes with Amazon Prime that have no S&H and free returns.  I really like having that option.

Hope you are happy with the weight loss -- not sure if you are interested in losing, but if so, that is great.  Good luck with your donation process, and I join you in honoring Fathers and those Mom's who have done double-duty.  I was fortunate to have a wonderful Dad, but I know that is not always the case. 

Hi Essie -- very hot here, but not humid.  Sounds like a good idea to water the plants and consider things for donation in September.

I found several items for donation in the boxes that I brought home from the storage room yesterday.  Most are in the car waiting for when the thrift shop is open.  I also have two large trash bags full of stuff, and of course some items that I will need to find a place for in the house.  I think I will go through the closets once again and see if I can make some room for these things.  That may not happen today, but eventually.

DH slept a lot yesterday, and he did not sleep well last night.  So, I'm a bit tired.  I took a chance and went for a walk early this morning.  Fortunately, he stayed in bed -- no falls.  It was pretty hot even before 6:00 a.m. -- yikes.  Any additional exercise will be done indoors.  It is difficult to get my 10,000 steps in these days, but I am very determined to do so.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Susan, Marijane, snicks, Bernie, butterfly, Barbara, Charlene, Rosa, Karen, pinky ann, Gayle, LindaR, and all of our posters and readers.

Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. Our local paper had a huge headline on the front page -- it may reach 114 degrees here today, which would be a record.

Esteemed Contributor

Essie--I am trying to lose weight and have switched to the low carb approach. Usually, the first week of a low car results in a good loss, part of which is water. Take care in this humid weather but the plants do need their water. Preparing for the Fall sale is less pressure as you come across items you no longer need or want.

Linda--Good job on finding items for donation. Also, I am sorry that you are tired and that DH did not sleep well at night. Good job on the exercise but with the heat, perhaps indoor exercise might be a good idea. I like Clarks shoes but the stores in the city really don't have a good selection of Clarks.

I just sold another item on one of those Facebook yard sales of which there are several in my area. The money I get from this will go in an envelope designated to save money to return to Branson. My niece, a friend and I plan to return in September of 2017 if all work out. Where my niece works, they have to put in all vacation requests for a year in January of that year. We have plenty of time for her to do that but we wanted a week in which the students would be back in school. This November we go to Puerto Rico.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Good afternoon to everyone, and thanks to @KonaKat, for the start today. 5 lbs. is a big weight loss in one week, I sometimes have that happen and don't know why. Congrats to you if you are trying to lose the weight.

I too would wish all the fathers a happy day today and the mothers that do/did double duty. My dad passed when I was 12, my mother never missed a beat, she was a very strong lady, I miss them both, so much.

@spix, it is hot and humid here today also, good day to stay in with the papers, lol. I did get out early and water my flower pots, and did some weeding. I brought the dog back in as she was getting very hot, then continued with the weeding for a while longer (it was in the shade), then came in myself, will finish that area later this afternoon once shade hits it again.

@LindaLatte, you are really have some heat out your way. I know what is said about the dry heat, but it's still hard to imagine that kind of temps. You are doing such a good job working on the storage building and getting it emptied out. So sorry you did not sleep well and DH did not either. I so admire your determination in exercising along with your caregiver duties. Don't know how you do it.

I am making it easy on myself for dinner tonight, ham steak with something else, haven't decided what yet. For now, am relaxing for a little while. Hope everyone has a great day. Waves.....

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Snicks--The ham steak sounds very good for dinner. Good job on weeding before it got hot. The weeds await you but now is a good time to keep in the shade and relax.

Respected Contributor

Afternoon, well have stayed in vegetating.

@Snicks1, glad you got things done early, my back yard is on the East side so late afternoon is a good time to do things or early morning like you.  God bless your Mom for the good, not easy, she did, my DH's father died when he was 2 & his DM pregnant with the 5th, yikes, I don't know how she did it, but I guess we do what we have to do.

@KonaKat, good luck on your diet, carbs are my downfall, would rather have another helping of mashed taters than a piece of cake. Good to hear you made another sale.

@LindaLatte, sorry last nite was not good, hope you get more sleep tonite.  I agree, best to get your steps done in the house with the weather being what it is, you acccomplish so much every day, just take care of yourself

Essie

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi again, glad you stayed inside @spix, it's very hot out, here anyway. I should have stayed busy I guess, as I ended up ordering a Halston top, A282242, in palm green. It has the longer back but I decided to go for it anyway, although I am not a huge fan of high/low. It's very pretty though, so I hope I like it when I receive it. Fingers crossed. Hoping this isn't the begining of a shopping spree, lol. I was just congratulating myself for my restraint lately. Haha

Edited to add; going back outside now to prevent any more browsing, lol.

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Just checking in to say hi to all of you.  DH & I went out for dinner last night.  I haven't felt real good since yesterday afternoon. I think that I have eaten too much fresh fruit. We went to church this morning & had lunch yesterday a local restaurant.  We were both blessed with wonderful dads.

I get lab work, infusion & Dr. followup with my rheumatologist tomorrow.  We are planning to leave Tuesday morning for a few days of beach time about 3 hours away.  While it is near 90 today, it will be in the 70's by Tuesday  & the rest of the week.  I feel so blessed to be living where we don't get outrageously hot.

We got groceries on Friday.  We live in the dairy state & eggs were 49 cents a dozen & a 1/2 gallon bag of milk wass 94 cents.  Gas prices went from $1.99 to $2.43.  

Hot tubbing will be later tonight.  I am staying indoors with the A/C on.

Hugs to all of you.

Honored Contributor

Yesterday it hit me that today was Father's Day.  When I awoke this morning, I said Happy Father's Day to my Dad and DH.  After I got my lawn done yesterday I went to Pet Supplies and took the last two bags of Hagen Pigeon/Dove food.  That's usually not like me, I don't take the last of anything.  When one of the employees (young male kid) asked if I was finding everything okay I said sure did - I took the last of your pigeon food so you may want to restock, he he he.

I wore my new heels while running errands.  I stopped in to see my eldest sister at her appartment after the bird food run.  My middle sister has been bringing her back to her home for the past couple of Saturdays.

My youngest niece (the one who is so self absorbed I want to slap it out of her) was somewhat warned I could be coming by to take delivery of the recliner.  Her eyes got big and she said really?  I ended up not having to take delivery of the new recliner as both sisters got their hair done in the morning and were home in time.

No matter, I felt it would be best to make an appearance.  That child has made my sister cry two Saturdays in a row.  If someone was going to be crying yesterday, it was not going to her her mother (my sister).

I wore the new heels because my sister's get a kick out of my shoes. We grew up in Detroit and they get a kick  out of me wearing 'fly' shoes.  I know the expression 'fly' is old and outdated but it makes them giggle when I tell them I bought a new pair of 'fly' shoes.

Anyway, it was a nice visit.  I even watched Snow White and the Seven Dwarves' on cable with my great niece.  I've heard Disney was a maniac to work for, but I have to tell you Cinderalla and Snow White was from the era when animators really knew how to do a cartoon.  Disney could always do birds so well.

Soon to be nephew in law stopped by to pick up great niece.  I thought my ill sister would turn to stone.  He stepped into the threshold down the hall and I said, Hi and Happy Father's Day.

My sister looked at me.  I said quietly, you are looking at, at least 15 more years of this type of thing.  If nothing else my dear sister, I am a professional and will not be doing anything that negatively impacts the little one.  No bad mouthing of her father is coming out of my mouth.  

AWKWARD, lol.

Today, I did my grocery shopping and have been soaking the back yard with the oscillating sprinkler.  The robins and starling gotta have some bugs to eat.

I have three baby sparrows in the bird house.  Right on schedule. Usually a clutch at Mother's Day, Father's Day and then mid July.  These three are really young, they must be under 5 days old as their eyes aren't open yet - yes I did look with a flashlight, 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise