Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JUNE 12)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a beautiful day with temps expected to be lower than yesterday's mid 90s.

I've been t hinking. As we age and circumstances change, and as we acquire major items throughout the years, the desire to shop is sometimes nipped in the bud. After all, do we need another vacuum cleaner if the previous one is still working well? Manufacturers count upon consumers wanting the latest and "greatest" modification which may or may not add to the effectiveness of the product. If Beauty Cream A is doing an effective job, do we really need the latest hyped beauty cream? I could go on but you get the idea.

I was thinking of Kathleen's enthusiasm of finding the peaches only to discover how few peaches resulted from her hours of effort. For that reason, I might like a fresh peach to eat but when it comes to hours spent in peeling peaches, cutting out bad spots, etc., I will make the choice to buy the item already prepared or canned peaches. Yes, I am lazy as I am not a Susy Homemaker.

I do appreciate the talents and efforts of those who enjoy that type of thing, but I am one to find the easiest way to prepare something. I'm sure the end-product was very tasty but frustrating to realize how much effort it took. I remember an easy to sew pattern I had several years ago. By the time I was finished, I had no desire to wear the dress. It is so much easier to buy one.

Now, that Multi-Purpose Folding Cart with Wheels appeals to me. I do get tired of lugging heavy grocery, etc. items from the car to the house and making multiple trips. V-33524. The problem is deciding if the item really works that well.

Decisions, decisions! Our life is full of them; sometimes we make good decisions but at other times we don't. The key is to learn from our shopping decisions.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JUNE 12)

Good morning all, and thanks @KonaKat, for the start.

I agree with you regarding the need/want for the "new" as we get older. I find myself not really wanting "stuff" nearly as much as I did years ago. My clothing purchases are nearly zero these days, except when special occasions come up, and then I may already have something that will be perfectly acceptable for that occasion.

As for household goods, not interested until something I already own draws it's final breath (lol), so to speak. I can see the cart you mention might be beneficial for you, for me it would not be as everything has to be carried up stairs and it wouldn't help in that.

It is already hot and humid here, but I will be doing a couple 'not quite so big' jobs outside shortly. Then I will be showering and taking it easy the rest of the day, haha.

Hope everyone has a nice day. Waves...

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning, and thanks for getting us started Jean.  You are so right about age and circumstances changing the desire to shop/accumulate.  I remember when DH and I first met, he said something like he had changed over time, but he knew that I was still in the accumulating stage.  I am not totally out of the woods, but I have changed a lot in that area.  Having a small house, and not needing so many clothes, etc.due to retirement and lack of entertaining is part of the issue.  But, watching DH deteriorate and not being able to use the things he accumulated (like books and computers), is even more relevant to me.

Sorry Kathleen spent so much time with those peaches.  I think she said that she will not be repeating that effort, and I do not blame her.  I used to spend much more time with preparing meals, etc., but taking care of DH and needing to feed him has changed that as well.

I don't want to sound like I am complaining, that is just the way it is.  He made a couple of major messes yesterday evening, and I'm trying to move on with gratitude.  I am very grateful for my blessings.  He is a very sweet man.

Regarding that cart, I like the idea, but I am not sure it will really work as well as advertised.  I made a big effort to find a "push cart" sort of thing for our storage room, and I figured out yesterday that the one I purchased was just not that useful.  The large, heavy boxes don't fit on the cart for one thing.  Live and learn.

Glad your weather is nice.  We had a little rain yesterday, but today should be pretty hot and sunny.  They are predicting very warm temperatures for next weekend.  Glad I have all those fans and the AC is working.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Bernie, Snicks, spix, Essie, butterfly, Marijane, Susan, Rosa, Charlene, Karen, pinky ann, Gayle, Barbara, LindaR, and all of our posters and readers.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- do be careful outside, snicks.  Seems like you are doing well with putting "wanty" in its place.

Esteemed Contributor

Snicks--I did order that cart after reading the reviews. I won't be using it up steps. Time will tell. As I get older, the accumulation of stuff bothers me more and more.

Linda--You are not compaining. You are simply reporting the realities of your life as it exists now. I am sure that when you moved from Maryland and also when you ent on the trip to Turkey that you had no idea that your beloved DH and you would be facing these challenges.

50 dead and 53 injured in Orlando in the worst mass shooting in U.S. history. As horrible as this is, it serves as a reminder that we never know what lies ahead, so we need to make the best of each day.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Good Morning wonderful women of this thread - the weather has improved greatly in my neck of the woods.  It was upper 50's and a bit on the windy side when I went to feed the outside birds this morning.  The 'cold' front never ushered in any storms.

I have a sprinkler going in the back yard.  My grass looks fine - I just can't stand to watch the robins work so hard for food.  I soaked one side of the yard and am hoping this gets some bugs and worms going.

I was puttering around on the internet, like I usually do on a Sunday and mid stream through an Arsenio Hall interview with Prince in 2014 the computer screen went black.

Much like when a car is stolen from the front of the house and the victim looks up and down the street in denial, like maybe he or she forgot where he or she REALLY parked the car, I said out loud - what just happened?

So I looked to see if I accidentally kicked the power cord, glanced at the digital clock in the office (not a good barometer of anything, it has battery back up) and then noticed the tv was also dark.

It's funny how much 'house' noise there is.  You know, the hum of the fridge (okay maybe just my fridge).  The absence of electricity running through the house is so noticeable.

I jogged downstairs and all of my clocks were dark.  Honestly, we could call this buidling Bernie's house of clocks.  

I waited about 15 minutes and then called in a report to the electric company.  There was no way I was going to go grocery shopping, not knowing how long power was going to be out.

I told myself - DO NOT OPEN THE FRIDGE door.  I managed to do okay on that front.  So I said, hmm, now what?  I did something I needed to do for some time - I purged music CDs.

I have 2 of these disc gear things in red that I bought from QVC a few years ago.

When my husband passed away, I wasn't quite up to throwing anything out.  Since he was somewhat of a collector of things (my people call it being a packrat), I figured Bernie, if you aren't throwing it out, at least organize it. I still have albums and 45's which I cannot throw out - there's something about vinyl that's sacred to me.  I have my own collection of cassette tapes - some of these albums can't be found on CD anymore - I still need to figure that out.

Anyway, I sat down in the quiet, pulled out the 2 discgears and looked at each CD.  I was honest with myself.  While DH and I liked many of the same people, I'm not a Sinatra, Cher or Madonna fan here. 

I pitched 60 CDs and felt like I lost 5 pounds.  I am recycling the jewel cases and related album liner notes.  

Power came back on just as I finished the purge.  Guess it was a sign that today was THE day.

I reset all of the clocks in the house and now have to get off my rear and do the grocery shopping.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie---Great job! It is remarkable how really quiet it can become when the electricity is out. You made great use of the time. Getting rid of the CDs will not get rid of the memories. For some reason, I am reminded of the song, "Sound of Silence."

I guess it it is time to finish a novel. It is one that I am reading again as it is second in a series of four, with the third to be released soon. As a result, I wanted to refresh my memories of the contents as it is long with many twists and turns. I often read books again after a long perod of time if I really enjoyed them.

Respected Contributor

Hello friends!  What a sad day.  Well, I will just never succumb to buying a big box of peaches because they are bruised!  Next time I will just buy the good ones - much less labor intensive.  The peach pie is delicious and I plan on making a couple of other things tonight and in the morning (another peach/cream cheese concoction and also peach monkey bread).

It's kind of a boring day here.  There is only so much to do in an rv. I had a great interview Friday and I'm really hoping to get an offer - but trying to not get my hopes up.  I rather enjoy the interviews but I always have post interview angst that can sometimes just consume me. This time I'm ok.  So, peace! Yay!

I guess I'm going to outside with my Cowboy.  You are right, every day is a gift!

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, I hope that you enjoy the TSV.  You are so right about the older we get the less we need.  Everyday is a true blessing.  After 2 days of 90's, it is back to the wonderful 70's.

SNICK'S, We had 2 hot days & I did as little as possible.  You are wise to do small jobs today.

RC,  I hope that you get the job.  Peaches are my favorite fruit, but I like them fresh the best.  Have fun outside with your Cowboy.

LINDAL, You are not complaining at all.  Sorry about the messes.  I don't like clutter, so I spent most of yesterday going thorough a lot of mom's pictures.  My brother took what he wanted & I did the same & threw lots of them away.  I did get some nice things that my grandfather made for my mom. One is a nice solid wood (don't know what kind) cabinet, a beautiful all one piece wooden tall candle holder, a lovely inlaid wooden jewelry box with fancy legs.  I did find a nice wedding picture of mom & dad, a nice picture of my dad as a young boy with his 2 sibs & his parents.  Now I am deciding on which picture to choose with my mom & her parents.  Since she was an only child, there are lots to choose from.  They look very nice on the cabinet, but they brought tears to my eyes today.

After two hot days, it is in the beautiful 70's.  DH & I are going to a country wedding on the farm soon.  Glad that it wasn't yesterday.

DH & I are going shopping tomorrow.  Just 45 minutes away.  We  have a 30% off coupon for Kohl's.  Lunch out is part of the deal for me.  I am only good for 1 store, but I do enjoy people watching.

I have no idea what I am wearing to the wedding.  I think white pants, red 3/4 sleeve sheer top/tank top, red slides  & white jean jacket just in case.  

BIRD MAMA, sorry that you had a power outage.  We had rain last night & this morning so the bugs & worms are loving it.  Good job in getting rid of 60 CD's.  We also have vinyls & cassettes.

Hugs toi all of you.

Honored Contributor

Hello to everyone,

I was reading @LindaLatte post and I am saddened with what you and DH are going through. 

You are grateful, inspiring and a wonderful wife!

I wish I lived in the same area as you. I feel compelled to reach out and help you with all you are experiencing.

Take care.

Trusted Contributor

Hello friends - sounds like many of us are having a quiet Sunday. Jean - I'm trying to slow down my purchases and occassionally purge items.  I know that my mother has started giving items away the past year or two.  The terror attack also reminds me of how fleeting life can be, so we all need to live consciously and according to our values.  Bernie - good for you to purge the 60 CDs.  This may sound strange to some, but when I took my extra clothing to the thrift store last week I said a little prayer over the clothes.  I thanked God for having had the use of those cIothes, and prayed that they would end up being a blessing to others as I gave them away.  That act makes it easier for me to part with things.   I also know what you mean about the small white noise that electricity creates within our houses, and how much quieter it is when the electricity is out.  Kathleen - sorry the peaches were so much work, but I must say that my mouth is watering about the idea of a good peach pie!  Twinny - I think the white and red outfit you described would be fine for a summer wedding.  I have to figure out an outfit for my neice's wedding next month.  LindaL - continued prayers for you and your DH.  Arlene - please know that I continue to pray about your loss of Honeybun.  And waves to all of our regular readers and visitors!

Yesterday was a l-o-n-g day.  My neice's fiance was a great guy to rent a van and drive a group of us to the out-of-town bridal shower.  The freeway traffic was very slow in places.  It took us 4 hours to get there and we were an hour late.  The shower was held in a pretty park and the bridesmaids had done a lovely job with the gathering.  My niece has wonderful friends, and got many truly useful gifts.  Then there was the long drive back, with a stop to eat dinner.  Altogether it was a 14 hour day.  I'm not doing much today.  Too tired.  

Hope you're all doing well  ~  Charlene