Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JULY 8)

Good Morning, Ladies!  Another hot day here, and again a prediction for rain tonight or tomorrow.  We certainly need the rain.  

One of my work buddies suddenly lost her husband of 29 years yesterday.  I think he was probably in his 60's, and his death was quite unexpected.  Quite a blow for her, and I know Karen would appreciate prayers if any of you feel inclined.

DH was mostly awake yesterday, and he smiled several times.  He had only had an Ensure for breakfast, but he managed to have another Ensure, a yogurt, and some vanilla ice cream for lunch.  So, I was pleased that I bought some more ice cream.

Usual Sunday plans -- church, gym, and visiting DH along with doing some ironing.  While I am adding the IM top, I'm pleased that I donated several tops and pants, etc. last week.  It was not easy since they were in good shape and still fit me fine.  But, I knew that they had not been worn enough to justify closet space.  I need to keep up this de-cluttering effort.

Hope the weather is okay in your area, and have a nice Sunday.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JULY 8)

Linda--I am so happy that DH was smiling and eating for you yesterday. I am sorry, however, that your friend suddenly lost her husband.  Life is a mixture of joy and pain. You are doing a great job of decluttering and making choices that will make others happy from benefiting from your donations.

It is a sunny and much cooler day here. The highlight, of course, is hearing of the successful rescue effort of some of the boys trapped in Thailand.

I am not doing anything exciting to share much. I plan to go to the city on Tuesday to take donations, have lunch with a friend and buy groceries as well as getting my nails done.

I'm not saying I'm staying put much to save but the spreadsheet for last month's expenses showed I spent $22 on gasoline. The tank right now is half full. I just decided to cut out some unnecessry travel just for entertainment. It helps, however, that the car gets great mileage. I just decided to see how cutting back would affect the cash flow as I am planning an expensive trip next Spring. I haven't bought any "wants" for a month. I am shopping my current stash.

I am losing weight, so I don't want to buy clothes right now. I don't change sizes that much with weight loss as I have a big bone structure. I typically buy a Large which usually covers a size 14 and 16. Any weight loss, as a result, will likely end up with looser clothes but not enough to drop down to a Medium.  I'm bigger on the bottom than the top which makes it challenging to find appropriate fitting clothes unless bought as separates but even then the hip measurement of the top has to be considered.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Good morning all ~ Linda thanks for getting us started today.  I suppose it'll be very hot here today as well.  I get rather wide-eyed at those days when it's over 110 degrees.  You have to adjust your schedule to do things really early or late to avoid the heat.  Hope you enjoy church, gym, and visiting your DH.  Good for making progress purging items.  Praying for your friend Karen.

Sorry that when I posted yesterday I mentioned twice that I had gone 21 days without purchasing a "wanty."  Good thing I'm not a proof reader!   Besides buying a sewing machine, I also had to purchase a new iron.  (Not a "wanty" in my opinion.)  My cat Finnegan had jumped on the ironing board and knocked everything over - thankfully the iron was not turned on.  After that, the iron didn't get very hot and the burst of steam button didn't work.  I bought the exact same Hamilton Beach iron, as I had really liked it.  Having to spend money on things that you really like, but have broken or worn out isn't nearly as much fun as purchasing clothes or jewelry, lol.

This coming weekend I am going to Laughlin Nevada (junction of California, Nevada, and Arizona), for a family reunion with my cousins.  I kept putting off making reservations, but finally did it.  I feel guilty saying this, but I just don't care for the company of my cousins, and I only have 4 of them.  The oldest was born with a mild mental handicap and now she's been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  Most likely this will be the last time I see her, so it's important that I go.  She has had a hard life and my heart goes out to her.

As for today, we will be heading off to church in a little bit, then I'm hoping for quiet chores and relaxation the rest of the day.  Dinner will be BBQ chicken, baked potatoes, and...maybe corn?  

Waves to all  ~  Charlene

Trusted Contributor

Hi Jean, we must have been typing at the same time.  Happy to hear that you're making progress on saving money, and have avoided the wanties for a month.  Also congrats for losing weight.  I've regained about 2/3 of the weight I lost 1 - 2 years ago, so I need the encouragement in both of those areas.  I even have the same problem as you, finding clothes that fit.  Keep up the good work, and thanks for being a cheerleader to us all.

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Linda - Thank you for starting us today.  I am sorry to hear about your friend's husband.  Glad to hear DH was doing better yesterday, and I hope he is doing well today.  I also have ironing to do today, I did not do it last week but need to do it today.  Good job on the decluttering, I need to get motivated again.  I have a bag in a room and when I do come across an item I do not need nor want it goes in the donation bag.  I have almost filled it, it is suprising how fast the bag can get filled.

Jean -   Good job on the weight loss, you have been very diligent about it.  Have fun on Tuesday, you deserve a day of fun.

Charlene - Hope it doesn't get too hot for you, stay in the shade or ac.  Sorry about your cousin, I do hope you have a good time on your visit.

Well off to do a couple things in the yard.  We have been having some beautiful weather here, temps in the 80's and lower humidity.  My hair is loving it.  Hope everyone has a great afternoon.

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--Until you mentioned it, I had forgotten I had once ventured to Laughlin, Nevada. I do hope the family reunion goes well.We no longer have family reunions after the person in charge of all of them died. We are all so scattered.  I consider the iron a needed purchase. Poor kitty didn't mean to cause a problem.

Susan--Enjoy your time outdoors. It is perfect weather today for enjoying the outdoors. I am with you on the decluttering. I need to get motivated. Sometimes, I also select an item when I come across it when in a room and decide at that moment its destiny. If I wait until "decluttering time," it might miss being selected.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Linda L,  I am so sorry to hear about Karen's DH's passing away suddenly.  Prayers going out to her & her family.   My dad passed away very unexpectedly too.  Our consultation was that he knew the Lord and had always said that he hoped that he went quickly.  My fil suffered with cancer, so I have been on both ends.  Neither situation was good.  I am glad that your DH was  smiling despite not eating much.  Your day sounds busy again too.

Jean,  I am glad that you are having a nice 🌞🌞🌞 & cooler day.  Have fun in the city on Tuesday.  Lunch with a friend is always fun.  Weight loss of any kind is an accomplishment.  

CERB .you deserve a new sewing machine after 30+ years.  Have fun with it.  I got my first sewing machine for Christmas in 1972.  I was working at home part-time & my DH agreed that if I paid $80 he would pay the other $80.  Our ds was 2 & I was expecting our dd in January.  I made most of my, our dd's & our ds's clothes.  I had that machine until 1994.  When we built our new home in 1993, I wore it out making all of the different window coverings & shower curtains.  I bought a Viking Husqvarna.  I loved it so much that I upgraded it for a fancier model when the dealership told me that if I upgraded it within one year they would give me what I paid for it on a new machinel. I still have It. Sorry that you had to get a new iron.  Like you say, not a fun purchase.

Susan, we are having beautiful weather too, but hot weather will be rearing its ugly head in a couple of days.  Good job at donating & decluttering too.

It was so nice and cool in the house this morning.  It is now 80° so the windows and curtains are shut.  It will be a another enjoyable night with the windows open though.

After church we had a little shopping to do.  Not exciting but needs.

We are going to the Capitol City tomorrow for an oil change, free 🚗 wash & some shopping.  I plan to buy towels for my new bathroom & some fabric to make a new curtain for my bathroom.  I didn't walk this morning because I am saving my energy for tomorrow.  My walk tomorrow will be in stores and maybe the mall.  I am only good for 1 store, so I will be selective.  No clothes or shoe shopping.  

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--Enjoy your outing tomorrow. A new bathroom does require new towels. I know you will get in your walking tomorrow when shopping.

I got in 72 active minutes of exercise today, according to my FitBit.

There will be fashion deals on Prime Day, starting July 16th at 3:00pm ET!