Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JULY 5th)

Good Morning!  It is another dry and hot day here with a high of 104 degrees expected.  No rain is predicted for at least a week, and they are predicting 100 degree plus temperatures every day.  It was pretty hot when I took my early morning walk.  Tomorrow, I plan to start my walk even earlier.  

As expected, yesterday was very quiet here -- I didn't hear or see any fireworks except on TV.  But, I enjoyed the ones I saw on TV, and I also watched several programs about George Washington.

I am in a FitBit group that sometimes has "challenges" -- just about 10 people.  Last week, I was in a "Workweek Challenge" (number of steps), and I won by quite a bit.  I have vowed to myself to cut back this week because all that walking isn't great for my feet or knees.

I envy you with both raspberries and rhubarb in your yard, plus your homegrown tomatoes, Glenda.  I do remember how painful picking raspberries could be, however.  (Didn't think to wear gloves.)

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone had a nice celebration yesterday, and today will be good. 

Please post if you have a chance.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JULY 5th)

Linda--Thank you for starting the thread. Congrats upon your challenge achievement. You are correct that excessive walking can possibly affect the knees.

It was a quiet 4th here. I had intended to stay up and watch the fireworks via TV's Macy, etc. broadcasts but I was so tired that I went to bed at 9:30pm and slept 8-1/2 hours.

I've been watching a Prime program while updating my grocery list for the WalMart pickup which I have yet to schedule. This week makes 6 weeks since I did the last one, so the shelves and freezer are getting bare. I don't know when to schedule the next one as it appears that a burger option I like is sold out as are all the burger options. This is  likely because of the 4th.

Right now, I should be doing another set of home PT exercises but I've been hurting off and on since I awakened. I don't know if I accidentally got the arm in a wrong position while I slept.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

It's hot, sunny and humid today. UGH!!!! A few lillies bloomed and so far the deer have not found them for lunch. LOL We had a large doe munching on our back hedges while the dogs were on the patio. She must have been really hungry because they usually wait until the dogs are inside. I think this is the one that naps in our side yard. My husband said that she went to that spot and just waited for him to leave. She had pulled down the trellis that I have in front of the hedges to deter the deer. It works for the younger ones lonly.

Our 4th was noisy.....as usual. We were surrounded by people setting off everything until 11:30P last night. Some of the neighbor shave been shooting this stuff off for a month bow. Our male dog can't stand that noise and he just gets more and more upset as the night goes on. He just wants rubbed. Our female is only bothered if he is upseet too long. I expect more of the same tonight. It's worse this year because i have the windows open for the the air. Normally the A/C is running on "super blast". ha ha!!

Tomorrow is the day they are suppose to repair/replace our A/C.  Crossing my fingers that they show and get it done in one day. They have scheduled two half days because of the heat. I don't think I'll relax until it's in and working. 

I had called two stores to check on the holiday sales for a replacment range. The smaller store said they are holding prices until Wednesday. I like that range but it only come sin SS and I'm not crazy about that surface as well as it doesn't blend with the kitchen. The other store is a larger and they had more options but higher prices. Some of the sale models didn't have some of the features that I had wanted.  Soooo...I decided that I'm not handling the stove issue until after I have working a/c. I'm hoping that the next sale with be Labor Day and maybe then I'll find it. 

I was able to get a hair appointment for my husband for this Wednesday. I'm waiting on mine until the weather turns cooler and less humid. I still haven't decided the cut and color or not to color. LOL 

Stay safe & comfy. 

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry you are hurting, Jean.  One advantage of living is a different time zone is that some events (like fireworks) come on much earlier. 

I am amazed you made it this long without a Wal Mart pick-up.  Not sure that I will be doing that every week since I know there is a minimum order.  But, I found that at easily half of my order was not grocery related -- shampoo, solution for the Wet Jet, salt for the water softener, etc. By the way, I really liked having someone else put the heavy salt (40 pounds) into my trunk.  When I have purchased in the past, it has been a challenge to get the items from the cart into the trunk.  

I noticed that some items that were not available when I first made up my order were available later.  So, maybe the burgers will be there when you get closer to your pick-up date.

Really hope your AC is replaced/repaired tomorrow, Fressa.  And, I really hope it is done in one day.  I know there are all sorts of variables, but I was assured that my furnace, AC, and electrical work would be done in one day.  Sorry about the noisy fireworks.  I don't blame you for waiting on the range.  Hopefully, there will be another sale for Labor Day.

Esteemed Contributor

Fressa--I do hope  your AC Repair/Replacement can be done in one day. It sounds, however, that they are planning their work around the heat so that may not be possible but one can always hope---and enjoy the benefits faster. Expenses are expenses and not all can be done at one time. I am sure that there will be sales later on.

Linda--It really took careful planning on how much of my staples to purchase when doing the last grocery pickup as I assusmed I could not do it until released to drive. I did pick up some fill in items at the local supermarket the last two weeks.  I have to admit that this service has spoiled me. As you said, it is a real convenience having them transport and put the items in the trunk, but it also keeps you from being tempted by those displays they put at the ends of the aisles. I also purchase items that are not grocery related.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Linda L, good job on your work week challenge.  I have no doubt that you won by quite a bit.  I picked raspberries once in my life and  said "never again. "  We were at my dh's grandma 's farm.  I was pregnant with our dd, sick the whole 9 months and it was a hot July day.  My DH told me that I had to wear a long sleeved shirt and long pants to keep the mosquitos off of me.  He gave me a 5 gal. ice cream pail and said "have at 

it."   After picking a few off of the  prickly bushes, I slipped & fell & lost all of them.  It's impossible to pick them up from the ground.  Our raspberry bush is growing wild out by the A/ C.  I have a lot of tomatoes on the 6 plants.  Hopefully they will be productive.  I don't have a green thumb.  The fireworks were nice around here.  

Jean, that's great that you can go for so long without getting more groceries.  I like going on Thursday morning.  It's my one get away.  Who would have thought that grocery shopping would be a fun outing?  Of course, who would have thought that this would be such a challenging year?  Its amazing at how many little things that I took for granted.  I hope that your at home PT goes well for you.  For me it always seemed like an all day job.

fressa  I am sorry that you had such a noisy night last night.  We had two neighbors shooting them off, but not for very long & they were beautiful.  The ones set off at the park were too far away & too many big trees in the way.  I hope that your A/C is in & done real soon.  I am so thankful for A/C.  Our heat wave is going to continue until at least next weekend.  Ugh.  

It was a quiet 4th of July.  We watched what we could in the driveway with a bowl of popcorn and a bottle of Crystal Lite.  

I didn't sleep well last night,  so I didn't do my walk this morning.  It's too hot for me to walk after 7:00.  

We had a drive thru lunch from McDonald's.  It's too hot to cook much of anything right now.

My energy level is dragging its tail in this heat.  My only project this afternoon was caulking a couple of nail holes and touching up the paint.

Glenda

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Glenda--It is understandable that you wouldn't have your usual energy level while it is so hot. There have been many things we have taken for granted until faced with the challenges the virus has presented us.

It was a challenge trying to determine how much I needed to buy to tide me over thre projected period I would not be able to drive. I have to admit that I am eager to make that grocery buying trip again to pick up my order placed online. I used to complain about parking places being taken up by spaces for grocery pick up, but now I don't complain that I use it to be safe. 

I'm normally a very positive thinking person but looking at the actions of all the people this weekend as a predictor of things to come, I am seeing a very bleak future.