Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JULY 23)

[ Edited ]

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a day following severe storms and tornados near us. We were fortunate to escape the worst of it with just severe thunder, lightening and rain.

I've spent the morning doing odds and ends around the house. As I looked at the kitchen sink, I thought of the Fly Lady and the days Kathleen and I read her. The constant reminder was always start the day with a clean, shiny ktchen sink, with other tasks added for the day.

I decided to cancel the order for the Clarks TSV for a very simple reason. I have shoes but more important is that the ortho recommended I buy a good heavy duty mini-cycle for exercising my knees. I found on Amazon  one similar to what he recommended. The reviews are excellent. To top it off, Amazon had an offer on it that wasn't there yesterday. Basically, if you were willing for it to be shipped the  slow method, they would cut the price about $30.

I also read the thread on decluttering of clothes. Regardless of cost, the price of the item should not be a factor in your finding a new place for it whether it be a yard sale, online sales or just donation. Keep in mind that the item did cost you money but if it isn't beingh used, its occupying valuable space is not saving you money. The past is the past; you bought the item and that is past tense. Do you want the item still around to remind you of a purchase that wasn't the best value? Even if you donate the item, perhaps the new owner will find it a treasure of an item and you will no longer have it occupying space.

I originally had planned to go grocery shopping in the city today, but stories of trees and branches blown down or uprooted to block the road in places changed my mind. Part of the city was flooded, including the main street by the hospital.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely. Keep the cost per use in mind!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JULY 23)

Good Morning/Afternoon, and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Glad your area wasn't hit as hard by the storms.  We had thunderstorms yesterday evening, but I did not see new damage this morning on my walk.  Of course, I might not have seen any damage if it was in a slightly different area.  Probably wise to avoid roads that may be blocked by debris, etc.  Hope you find the "mini cycle" to be helpful.  I'm not sure I know what that is, but I can probably find out if I look on Amazon -- source of most everything.  You are probably wise in canceling the shoe order.  I watched a presentation, and I think they were nice, but I really have way too many shoes.  

I know de-cluttering expensive items can be a struggle, and I was just thinking of that this morning on my walk.  I read an article about how many donated clothes end up in landfills, turned into rags, etc.  It is discouraging to think that something you spent a bunch of money on ends up having little value to anyone.  Good reason to really think about purchases as well as de-cluttering.

Really nice on my walk this morning.  I'll be leaving for church soon, and then come back and change to go to the gym.  I'll visit DH this afternoon.  Nothing exciting, but that is fine with me.

Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Linda--Glad you enjoyed your morning walk and that you enjoy your visit with DH.

This is the gadget I ordered. I am supposed to avoid high impact exercising that would affect the knees. This is supposed to keep them more flexible. I was recommended either a reumbant bike or this type which is heavy enough to avoid moving when  used. The QVC version is F191775 which is lighter weight. It may have met my needs but it didn't come up in my original search. With the discount below, I ended up paying a little over $20 more than for the Q light weight version. If you do a search just using "Stamina" as brand name, you do find a heavy weight one similar to what I ordered. F249761. The final price of the heavy weight Stamina total cost with shipping and tax came in at $5 more than the Sunny with discount at Amazon.  I couldn't find the Sunny Health model below at the Q.

minicycle.JPG

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

I may have needed the cycle but I was afraid it would end up taking up room and not used. As a result, I cancelled it. I love recumbant bikes but don't have the room  for one and thought this would do the job. I have looked at that item for over a month.

Honored Contributor

Hi Jean @KonaKat, thanks for getting us started today.  I can't go to bed if there is anything in my sink.  I don't make enough dishes to use the dishwasher so the few that might be in the sink have to be washed and in the drying rack or I can't sleep, lol.

I went to JCP (dot com) and browsed around yesterday.  I placed two blouses on my wish list/saved list.  I can't think of anything that I would like to buy for autumn except for a pair of gray booties (preferably suede).

I really don't need anything - maybe a new winter scarf, hat and some gloves.

That's it.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@LindaLatte

Wow, the donated items and landfill information sure makes me rethink purchases.  If nothing else I need to think if years from now, will this make a good rag Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@KonaKat  When my hubs went through cardiac rehab, we bought a recumbant bike which was the style of bike he used in cardiac rehab.  He used it, I could not.  There was something about it being 'recumbant' that hurt my back like nobody's business.  I guess I'm an upright bike kinda girl :-)

Respected Contributor

Jean...just a couple of thoughts about your knee and biking. I have dealt with knee issues for many years and I purchased a stationary bike to exercise with. My physical therapists always said that a stationary one was the best for any kind of knee rehab. And I definitely needed it after my knee replacement. The key is keeping the hamstrings strong because they anchor the knees. 

(((Hugs))))

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the input on the bikes. Recumbant bikes have been all I've primarily used in physical therapy and then at the senior center when it was open when I wasn't working. I don't have the room for a full-size bike which is why I was considering the mini-bike or whatever you want to call it. It takes up less room and can be moved easily. It is past tense now. It is just something else to take up room when I'm trying to get rid of stuff. I'll do the exercises but this would have added some cardio to the mix because I can no longer walk long distances without knee pain and breathing issues.

Visits to malls declined by 50% between 2010 and 2013, according to the real-estate research firm Cushman & Wakefield as reported in Business Insider.

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon everyone - Jean - I think the exercise machine looks like a good idea. I know that you're in WV, but how far away from Charlottesville, VA are you?  Similar in weather?  My son recorded a big thunderstorm and rain yesterday and sent it to me.  He's also getting a big kick out of all the fireflies.  For those who don't know, we don't have fireflies out here in the west.  The only time my DS has seen them previously was on a trip to D.C.

Not much going on around here.  I went to church this morning.  Then I'm still filing and copying over info. that I'd like to keep onto the computer.  I have WAY too much paperwork saved from throughout the years.  So I'm throwing away or shredding a lot of paper  (It's also a pleasant way to be productive when it's so hot outside.)  This will be a time-consuming, on-going project.  

I've been very good about not shopping lately.  Once or twice I was tempted, but was able to think about something I already own that is similar.  

Hope you're all having a great Sunday  ~  Charlene