Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JULY 10)

Good morning, shopping friends. I didn't get the TSV yesterday as much as I was tempted. Instead, I am still debating the Fit Charge which does many of the same things but does not have the Smart Watch look, but is of a lesser cost. For any who want the TSV, it is available at Amazon for the TSV price but no easy pay.

There is some positive news to report. I did lose slightly over a pound and a half last week. I've been logging my food. Exercise is my weakness; I just am not a lover of exercise and no gadget will change that. Until the heart procedure last year, I was able to motivate myself to exercise a minimum of 30 minutes a day. I just need to recapture that motivation.  Yes, Leslie, I will do your DVD each day! It is far better than going out into the heat to walk.

I did see the Master Gym Fitness Chair presented this morning which has great reviews. It also has no assembly required. It is good for strength training. I'm debating it but time will tell. I do need strength training but have yet to find something I like enough to do daily.

Leslie, here I come! I think you will do more for me than watching the Dyson rep present the TSV.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JULY 10)

Good morning all and thanks to @KonaKat for the start this morning. Good for you on the weight loss.

I have a problem sticking to a routine for exercise. I do really well with it for some period of time, but if for whatever reason I have to skip it for several days, I can't seem to get back to it. Been that way my whole life.

I haven't seen the fitness chair you mentioned, maybe I'll look it up.

My own biggest issue is wintertime, I feel with my yardwork all spring/summer/fall that I get plenty of exercise.

No shopping for me today. Need to get back to more outside work.

Have a great day everyone. Waves...

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Snicks--Outside work provides plenty of exercise. If I recall, you said your FitBit had you at over 10,000 steps with your activity yesterday.

I completed the One Mile of Leslie's Miracle Mile. It was 15 minutes including warm up. I went from heart rate of 65 to one of 98, but recovered to the upper 60s in about 5 minutes after I completed the mile. I will try to repeat it again this evening to make it a total of 30 minutes of exercise.

I received an email from the Q. Apparently, they are unable to get sufficient quantities of the product to fulfill the auto delivery of the Squirrel Brand individual serving packets of Town and Country nut mix. I loved that item so I will miss it after several months of getting it.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Good morning. I have all of our grandchildren here next week..6. Ages 3 - 11. Parents will be here so it will be fun if not chaotic., they all get along very well.

Jean..you might want to try free weights for weight training. They are not expensive and usin 5 pounds..for several reps 3 times is very effective. There is info on line for arm work.i usually do 10 pounds but I have been doing it for a while.

i am so limited in my mobility..I can walk distance but pay for it later.  Snicks I find you amazing.

i really liked the Linea hoodie yesterday so ordered 2 .. I like to layer in the winter in az. 

I enjoy joy reading everyone's posts. You are a special group of ladies

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started Jean.  I had to look at that exercise chair, and I have to say I'm very impressed.  The "no assembly required" part is huge for me.  And, it seems like something you could adapt to your level of fitness and does not take up much room.  Don't worry, I'm not trying to "sell" you on it, just found it pretty neat.

I completely understand that you decided against purchasing the TSV, and I have to admit that I am not fully convinced this is the fitness tracker that will work the best for me.  I had considered the model you are looking at as well as a Garmin tracker in addition to this one.  And, if I don't "love" it, I will return it despite the S&H charges, etc.  As you mentioned, the price on Amazon was the same, except you only get one band, I think.  

You can probably tell that I'm well motivated to exercise to help stay fit and strengthen my bones since I have osteoporosis.  But, please don't think that I'm any sort of "gym rat" or exercise lover.  As another person said at the gym, the best part of my time is when I'm leaving.  I am fortunate not to need to lose weight, and I know that can be a major challenge for many.  I'm very happy you have lost weight and are getting back into exercising.  Like you, I am a Leslie fan.

Hi snicks -- you certainly have been doing a lot of outdoor work, and I hope you aren't too sore today.  Please don't overdo things.  By the way, if I don't get enough steps in during the day, I will literally march in place or walk around the house to make 10,000 steps -- pretty crazy, but....

Part of the reason I like living here is that the weather is usually pretty nice (usually sunny and rarely very cold), so I can walk outdoors.  This time of the year, I need to take my walks very early in the morning. For example, today we are expecting high temperatures again -- 105 plus.  Yikes!

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Bernie, Essie, Karen, Marijane, Susan, meallen, butterfly, Charlene, Rosa, Barbara, Gayle, pinky ann, and all of our posters and readers.

DH did pretty well yesterday and last night -- thank goodness.  But, he is having more and more trouble with eating and even drinking as well as walking.  His DD called yesterday evening, and I told her about the latest issues, and the possibility that he will not be able to go to the "club".  I also told her that I am thinking strongly about placing DH in the facility permanently after the two week "trial".  She seemed to understand and be sympathetic.  And, she even suggested hiring someone to stay with DH before my trip if the "club" will not permit him to attend.  All that made me feel more comfortable with my decision.  Certainly not an easy decision at all.

I took a walk early this morning, and I need to get to the grocery store to buy some milk, etc.  DH says he would like to come with me, which is a challenge, but I'm up to it.

Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- that is a good point, Barbara.  I use the hand weights at home some days, as well as using the resistance bands, and an exercise ball.  Need lots of "props" to keep me going.  LOL  Hope you have lots of fun with your grandchildren.  

Esteemed Contributor

Barbara--Thank you for the info. I know how much you enjoy your grandchildren so the upcoming week will be a great pleasure for you. Enjoy the hoodies! When you find something you really  like at a good price, more than one can be a wise purchase.

Trusted Contributor

Hi all ~ Kathleen - I'm glad that you were able to get your car repairs done safely, that would have been kind-of scary.  Nice that you were able to see old friends, even though the funeral was a sad occasion.  Happy to hear that you got a job offer - hope that works out well for you.  Exciting too, that your DD is turning 21.  There's always something wistful to me when they reach those milestones.  2summ5 - welcome, my life probably isn't as interesting as some of the others, lol, but this is a great group of supportive women.  Bernie - good for making the returns that didn't fit properly.  I hope that you're happy with your new shoes.  My confession is that I've never really been "into" shoes.  I don't know why, but I'm content if they fit well and blend into the background.  Now jewelry...jewelry's a different matter!!!  LindaL and Snicks - I lusted after that fitbit TSV, but since my DH bought me a fitbit for Christmas, it didn't seem right.  The fitbit I have is just a basic one, but it works fine for me at this point.  When it wears out, I'll buy a fancier one.  You know what I learned about my fitbit?  It counts rocking in a rocking chair as taking steps, lol.  I've been sitting on my porch in the evenings enjoying my garden and discovered I was getting more than the usual steps in!  Arlene - I went by my library's used book store yesterday and picked up 13 cozies for 10 cents each.  Score!  I got another 4 for 50 cents each. They have one rack of deeply discounted books and there always seems to be a few cozies there, so that's the rack I make a beeline for.  I also donated a bag of books while I was there.

While I was out running errands yesterday I shopped at Big Lots which was having a 20% entire purchase sale.  It was kind-of crowded and they were out of shopping carts, but I persevered.  They have keurig-type coffee cups that my DH likes, so I stocked up on those, plus got a few other little items (no wanties in the bunch).  I saved $19.56 off of the regular low prices.  It was worth the hassle.  Then I went to Joanns Fabric and bought a couple of notions I needed for 50% off.  It was a good day for bargains.  

Well, hope you all will have a blessed Sunday!  ~  Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I love the comment that the best part of a gym is when leaving it.  You exercise for a valid reason. I really hope the FitBit Blaze works for you. One of the advantages of it on the Q was the ability not to tie up the total price while trying it out. I am glad that you were able to discuss DH's current situation with his daughter. Her being supportive is important and relieves some of the anxiety about the acceptance of your decision.

Charlene--You did well on your shopping. I haven't been to Big Lots for about a year. I used to be into jewelry big time as well as shoes but I am trying to control that so purchases this year in shoes and jewelry have been very small. That is funny about the FitBit counting the rocker as steps. I could easily rock my way to 10,000 steps.

I wish they would move that "Best Answer" away from the "post" button. I accidentally "moused" over it on the way to "post." It isn't that the response wasn't good; it is just that the "best answer" button needs to be further away from the post button.

Honored Contributor

I did go out, but after messing around a little bit, decided that I just don't want to tackle another big, dirty, sweaty job in the yard today, so giving that a rest, maybe tomorrow I will feel more like it. Instead I mopped the downstairs, the every present laundry, am going to run the vacuum, then make something to eat, don't know what yet. Then I think I am going to relax for the rest of the day, unless I get a burst of energy, which is very doubtful. lol

@KonaKat, you are doing really well with the Miracle Mile. Too bad about the nut mix not being available.

@sydsgma1, have fun with your grands. Wish mine could visit more often, but they are mostly are grown and leading busy lives now. Good idea about the free weights, I need to get mine out and use them, I have 2, 5, and 10 pound weights that I haven't used in a while.I'm glad you liked Linea's hoodie yesterday and got yourself 2 of them.

@LindaLatte, I like your saying about the best of the gym, lol. I am pretty sore today, back very stiff, hopefully will be better tomorrow. The humidity here is what kills me, lol, I hate having sweat running down my face and stinging my eyes.

I'm glad you talked to DH's daughter and she is understanding of the situation and supportive of you and your decisions. I am glad that he had a better day and night yesterday.

@cerb, you scored all over the place yesterday. Good for you, I love it when I can do that, even at one place, lol. I think your life is interesting, mine is pretty much a bore, but it is what it is, lol.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

Hi girls! It's another hot, sunny day - one which I plan to spend being lazy: pool, reading, and coloring while I listen to my weekly prophecy updates.  Well, I do have to scrub the litterboxes since trash pickup is tomorrow, but that's about it.  I have no plans to go anywhere, but I'll probably end up taking the dogs for a drive and getting them chicken nuggets, since they didn't have an outing yesterday. I remembered that I had picked up a roast beef & cheddar sandwich at Walmart the day before so didn't go out to eat; unfortunately, it wasn't very good. Cat Sad  For today if I can work up the energy I'll make a pot of sloppy Joes - I have the meat defrosted and waiting in the refrigerator.

Jean, I've never had a problem with the "best answer" button, but what really bugs me is how when you start a post after a word or two it automatically jumps to the message tags box and sticks a few words in there - one of those little annoyances that I could do without. Cat Frustrated  I also wish they'd bring back the "ignore" feature, or better yet, a "block' one.

LindaL, it's good that DH's daughter agrees with your decision. Ultimately it's yours alone, since you're the caretaker, but it's nice that you can avoid any friction. 

Charlene, I haven't been to a Big Lots in years!  There used to be one about two miles from here but it moved to major big shopping area, and you know how that is - out of sight, out of mind.  I do like Ollie's, which is similar, although they don't have the selection of furniture that Big Lots has or had.  I get used books and magazines from the library free - keeping people in baked goods pays off!  Cat Very Happy  They also know that I send magazines to the troops, so they're happy to donate to that cause. 

Here's an exercise program some of you might like to try:

Stand with a 5# potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out, and hold them there as long as you can.

After a few weeks, you'll find you can graduate to a 10# sack...then 20#, and many people are even eventually able to hold a 50# bag in each hand for more than a minute! 

Once you've gotten to that point you can begin to put a potato or two in each bag, but be careful to not overdo.  Cat Wink

Well, I guess I should do...something.  It's so nice to not have to scramble to get a boring homework assignment completed on time! 

Hi to everyone - have a blessed day!