Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JAN. 8)

Good morning, shopping friends.  It is a nippy 9 degrees so my fashion for the day is a pair of Hanes sweats. I"m not going anywhere and don't expect anyone so comfort rules today.

A day like this is good to do inside tasts like decluttering or assembling things. I received a new hall tree coat rack from Amazon so I assembled it today. It looks very nice with oak look and is replacing an aged one I have had for years but has lost a couple of spokes on which things were placed.

I ordered the TSV as I had already discussed its use with the physical therapist who used a similar type item in addition to some exercises. I really don't want to have the horrible pain and numbness in hips, legs and feet to return as a result of displaced vertebrae.

My Or Paz TSV and matching earrings are still waiting for me at the Post Office but I have no desire to venture out in this cold and icy roads to pick them up. I really hope the Wow factor is there as I've started to lose interest in them. The weather has interfered with immediate gratification to give me time to consider other things for which the money might be used as I really didn't need them.

On a positive note, I lost two pounds last week so the year is off to a good start. Now, to keep it up. In fact, it is time for my mid-morning snack of low fat greek yogurt.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JAN. 8)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/user-created-social-groups/395334-fluffys-note-part-21-a-16.html

Respected Contributor

Good Morning KonaKat

Thanks for inspiring me to do some organizing today. I am in Northern Cal and the rain is coming down pretty good.  I think I a going to do a nice closet purge and put on something comfy.   Have a great day.

Deb

Esteemed Contributor

meallen--Thanks for the cute graphic! Let's go shopping? With the weather....cold or snow or rain...it would have to be online!

SFGIANTGIRL--Welcome! Feel free to post at any time. As one of our posters said, organizing and decluttering is a never ending task. It is so tempting at times to relax and wait until another day but in my experience that only results in more work.  I see that there is a flash flood alert for the San Fran aea. Be safe!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone - sorry that I haven't been checking in this past week.  Just got busy with "life" I suppose.  Glad to hear that everyone is staying safe in the cold/snowy weather, and that so many of you are making progress in decluttering. 

A year ago I had 2 main goals that I was going to focus on in 2016.  The first was to improve my health, and the second was to spend less on clothes and luxury items than I had spent in 2015.  I can officially state that 2016 was a successful year!!!  I lost a little over 10% of my body weight, and did it in a slow, healthy way.  I tallied up my expenditures and I spent 26% less on clothes than the previous year, and I spent 36% less on luxury items than the previous year.  (Luxury items is a catch-all that includes things like jewelry, perfume, decorative items, etc.)  That's even better than I had hoped, so I'm proud of myself.

For 2017 I'd like to continue the same.  You all are a good accountability group.  It's fun to share purchases with you (no condemnation here), yet also encourage one another to give careful thought about those purchases.  The nice thing is knowing that if I choose wisely, I will get much MORE enjoyment from a purchase, than if I simply gave into impulse buying.  

The de-cluttering we all do from time to time is another way we remind ourselves not to overshop.  When I go through my possessions and see just how much I have, it helps me to slow down and think more rationally.  

Waves to all our regulars and visitors alike!  ~  Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--You have done a fabulous job with your goals with both health and expenditures. This is definite motivation to continue the effort. Yes, clutter is often the result of overbuying. That often happens with me when I see a great item and would like to add it but yet really don't need it. I was being really good with shoes until I developed a foot problem on right foot and for comfort and long wering during the day I had to go up to a half size. Again, congrats! You are a great example to all of us.

It is Netflix time. I'll watch a movie and then return to my usual afternoon reading followed by more efforts in the house. I'm scheduled to work the next four days if the weather permits.

Honored Contributor

Hello all, I went shopping at Amazon today because I finally needed enough things to qualify for free shipping without prime.  I bought an OEM furnace filter (I'm a few months behind in replacing it - required once a year), some Hoover type A vacuum bags (my vacuum is old) and some shredder oil.

Not that exciting, but necessary :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--Good puchases at Amazon. I am a Prime member but I get my money's worth out of it via several of its benefits other than just shipping. It is so easy to have them deliver to your door instead of driving 50-60 miles one way to shop and then possibly not find the item. Its Subscribe and Save program is very good for some items bringing them down sometimes to below store level.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, it is a fabulous 15° here & I am just loving it after 3 cold days.  The sunshine feels good in the house  & out in the hot tub.  I don't have a hall tree, but our DGC have a nice one that their dad made when they were very little & I think that it will last forever.  They use it year round.  Good job with your weight loss.  I don't have any Or Paz, but his jewelry fascinates me.  I also liked watching RLM.  

meallen, I love to dream about shopping, but fatigue is my worst enemy.  It was so much fun when I could shop from morning til night.  "Those Were the Day."

marijane, us gals had terrible luck at cards yesterday.  We lost 5 games out of 7. DQ was the hi !light of the day.

CDRN, Congratulations on your fabulous weight loss & shopping control.  I decluttered a lot last week-- mostly out of the file cabinet. 

SFGIANTSGIRL, Welcome to this nice group of ladies.  Being retired & TIRED purging is one of my hobbies.  I like nice things just like everybody else, but I don't like excess clutter.  

Bird Mama, like you say not exciting purchases, but necessary ones.  We need a new paper shredder soon.  The one that we bought at Staple's before Christmas, worked twice & then died.  You gave me a good idea last week when you mentioned Best Buy.

After 2 days of fun company, I am having a lazy day.  After church we went to a nice family restaurant which has a real nice salad bar.  I enjoyed the hot tub, but I feel a nap coming real soon.  

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--That hot tub sounds good on a very chilly day. I do hope you find the right paper shredder. Those that are light weight and can't handle many sheets at a time are a nuisance as they usually have to take long rests between shredding.

It has been an afternoon of Netflix combined with periods of reading. If I'm not watching the Q, I won't be tempted. For the same reason, I only go into stores when I have a need for a purchase.  I estimated that I spent $15 a week on car expenses going for physical therapy, so I am stashing away $15 a week in a savings envelope for future trips or emergency use. It is good to have cash on hand if the grid goes down and banks and merchants can't track cards, etc.