Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JAN.16)

Hi Everyone!

I was grocery shopping and taking down the Christmas decorations and trees for the  last two days. All I have to do today is put the Christmas dishes away. I could finally see progress in my decluttering that storage room. This was the easiest and less number of days that it has ever taken. WOO-HOO!! 

Grocery shopping was numbing with the prices here. I paid $3 per pepper/head of lettuce and apples. There were some sales on soup and bread. Prices on hot doags were up and running around $6 per package. Ground beef was on sale for $4/lb. I did splurge and buy some ground veal for a meatball recipe that I saw. The hubby eats entirely too much red meat. Limes (small size) were $6/bag. Coffee creamer was $5/6/7 per bottle depending on the size. Ice tea mix sale price was just under $7. I was numb with the total but that's the way it is now. I had coupons and bonus points off so that was a good thing. I actually got most of the items that we needed which was the important thing. I haven't done "true" grocery shopping in at least 3 weeks so overall I guess it was as good as it could be for now.

We are awaiting the snow blizzard. They have uped the time to the mid afternoon instead of evening. I actually prefer that so we can get outside and clear paths before the sun sets. Everyone please stay safe and inside. It sounds like it could be nasty at times to clean steps and sidewalks.  We all need to pace ourselves with the outside chores after these storms. Snow or rain.

I've watched some of the Q repeats at night. I was tempted by quite a few things but have not ordered. I'm seeing progress with the donation (clothing) stack and the room in the closet. I still have to let go of quite a few tops and sweaters that don't fit. I think the shoes will need another pass. It is nice to see the closet in better shape. Baby steps but it's progress. 

My thoughts and prayers are with those that are still in need. I wish that it's sooner than later that beds and doctors are able to meet the demands. 

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JAN.16)

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.  

Fressa - Thank you for starting us today.  You have been busy, now you can stay in and rest.  We are waiting for the snow also.  When this all started, we were only to get a few inches.  Just listened to the Weather Channel and now it is up to 8-12 inches.  Not liking what I am hearing.  We have the snow blower in the garage and ready to go.  We had some sun this morning, now the clouds are here and the wind is picking up.  Wishing everyone good luck with this snow storm.

I just had David in the Kitchen on, I was temped to get the tumblers, but, then remembered all the water bottles sitting around here.  Guess I am just in a shopping mood.  DH is watching golf now so that is saving me money.

Not much happening around here, I have been reading but haven't had anything to add.  I am really hoping this Spring is more exciting.

Hope eveyone stays safe, and has a great Sunday.

Esteemed Contributor

Fressa, I was lucky last week when we did our grocery shopping.  Although some of the shelves were empty, the only thing I couldn't get was a can of buttery shortening.  Really no shortening at all.  I am waiting to get to the grocery store this week as they have apples for 99¢ a lb. & I want to make a breakfast apple fritter. I made it a while ago and it was good.  I only like apples when they are baked or cooked.  Good job with getting the Christmas things put away. I am always happy when I can open my closet and see exactly what is in it.  

Susan, we are supposed to get a dusting of snow this afternoon.  Then it will be 6 snows down & 54 to go according to the annual prediction.  Two towns over predicted 25 snow falls.  Until the last few years, they have always been within 3.  I think that climate change is messing things up.

It's a cloudy day & I feel like doing nothing.  I did get the coffee stain out of the carpet, but only after I bought a can of spray which said good for red wine/coffee!  

The furnace guy came on Friday afternoon and said the furnace doesn't need to be replaced this year.  Yippee as we got the oil tank filled in November and bought a new water softener a few weeks later. Now we are in the process of getting a new hot tub.   That's our bit of fun almost every day.  

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Honored Contributor

It was sunny here again today and I'm enjoying being able to see the wolf moon as it reaches fullness.  I love the moon and I sleep like I'm in a coma when there is a full moon.  We might get flurries tomorrow and so far at nearly 7 pm, no accumulation expected.  This is Michigan and no accumulation tonight could mean I'm looking at inches of snow when I wake up tomorrow, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening!  I enjoyed church on-line, and the pastor said that the choir didn't sing at the first service as usual since some had COVID.  So, I was happy with my decision to stay home.

Hope none of you have problems with the storm.  I am a bit worried that DD's area will have a bunch of ice on top of the snow.  It is very cold there.

Glad you were able to get your Christmas decorations down faster than in the past, Fressa.  Happy you are seeing progress in the storage room.  Your grocery prices seem quite high, but I think that is true of DD's area.  Here, they seem lower than yours, but higher than Glenda's area.

Good work with resisting purchases.  Like you, I am trying to reduce the number of clothes in the closet and dresser rather than adding more.  I did see a few more items of interest here, but held off.

I have that problem sometimes Susan -- just want to buy something.  Really trying to avoid doing so, but it isn't easy.  Most of us have pretty dull lives, so don't feel bad about posting when you have a chance.  We like to hear from you.

Very happy you don't need a new furnace, Glenda.  Hope you are able to find a new hot tub since you enjoy it so much.  

Wish I could sleep well, Bernie.  I have not been able to do so the past two nights.  For some reason, I tend to have aches and pains that only come out when I go to bed.  Last night, I had a bad headache plus my knees ache.  Enjoy the moon.  I enjoy seeing it as well.

Unfortunately, Bev isn't doing well.  She is weak and bleeding, and had blood work done on Friday.  I think she is supposed to hear something tomorrow.  She found out that she will need to go about 30 miles north once a week for six weeks -- they will put chemo directly in the bladder.  Each visit will last 3-4 hours.  Not fun.  She invited me to visit, and I plan to do so tomorrow afternoon if it works for her.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda L, sometimes I sleep good and other times my brain won't turn off.  I have always been like that.  Whenever I was sewing (which I need to start doing again), & I was trying to figure how to do something, I would wake up with an idea that worked.  Crazy I know.  We have a hot tub picked out and a down payment on it.  Just waiting for it to come in.  That's sad news about Bev.  Prayers going out to her.  We had a beautiful full moon early this morning.  I forgot to look for it last night.  We had a dusting of snow this afternoon.  Then a cold sunny week starting on Wednesday.  I am fine with the cold if it's a nice sunny day.  

Glenda

Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte I get nights like that when I can't sleep which is probably why I make a big deal of celebrating when I do get a good night's sleep.  

I know this will come across as slightly nuts since I don't know Bev.  The way they addressed that bleeding and kidney issue in Bev has had me cussing up a storm on this side of the computer screen since they jerked her around about removing the kidney.  Did Bev have cancer in the bladder the whole time or did it start someplace and move around to other organs.  I had a sick feeling when you relayed that she was going to be discharged and 'they stopped the bleeding' and didn't take the kidney.    

I swear to God that good people are getting sub-optimal care because of the covid positive folks clogging up the hospitals.  I'm glad that you are going to visit her.  You are a good woman and a good friend Linda.

Honored Contributor

A new hot tub is exciting Glenda @twinny70 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't remember all the specifics, Bernie.  But, I remember that when Bev had surgery the year before last they said the cancer had spread all over.  They also gave her a few months to live, so I am happy they were wrong about that at least.  But, I am pretty discouraged, and I know that she is as well.  I really don't understand why they didn't do more when she was in the hospital for three weeks.  Not sure if they released her due to demands for beds or if they just decided not to do the surgery due to her condition.  I do appreciate your concern about Bev.  She is a good person for sure -- good Catholic by the way.  

Glad you can count on a good nights sleep when the moon is right.  I am like you, Glenda.  Wake up in the middle of the night trying to solve problems.  Not sewing -- definitely not my strong suit, but all sorts of good ideas seem to come in the middle of the night.  Those don't bother me as much as when I just wake up for no good reason, and have pains, etc.  Thanks for your prayers for Bev.

Happy you have a new hot tub on the way.

Honored Contributor

Linda, I understand better now.  It sounds like they are doing palliative treatments on Bev.  She has certainly been a warrior through this to make it well beyond the doctors prognosis/expectations.