Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JAN 12)

[ Edited ]

Good morning, shopping friends. I was up at 5:30am ready to face the day.  I paid bills while watching Colombo on Hallmark. I'm gradually getting used to the new glasses. This month is a big "ouch" when it comes to expenses. I probably  should have postponed getting the glasses as they are an "out of pocket" expense.

I did bring in the big box from Chewy. Let's just say I brought in the contents as I couldn't budge the box. The label on top said "Warning--Heavy." No kidding. I brought in 2 jugs of cat litter, 1 bag of prescription dry food, and 2 cartons of 30 cans each of Fancy Feast. Midnight should not need anything for a few weeks.

I opened the order of the Denim & Co. original pants I had ordered as I used to wear these often and liked them. This time, I ordered the petite as I've lost some height. The fit was perfect but perhaps a half inch longer might have been good.

I got an email from QF and saw a  top which I like is being introduced on today's show. I like it but do not need it! A374572. 

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, JAN 12)

Good Morning Jean @KonaKat  The bad weather has exited Michigan and is on it's way to ruin the day for other people.

I was up early yesterday morning and the first thing I did was check my basement.  Not an ounce of water was on the floor.  The rain ramped up once I had some coffee in me and I was extremely lucky that it was steady rain but not heavy rain.  I had no storm drain back ups in the basement.

Many communities were flooded bad enough to require rescues, kayaks and shallow bottom boats Woman Surprised

The wind wasn't bad for me or my sister who resides in the same county. No power outages.

The street, sidewalks, driveways and patio look like skating rinks however I can deal with that.  I was really careful when I fed the birds and squirrels this morning. 

It's going to get into the mid 40's for the next couple of days.  I hope this doesn't cause water main breaks; I'd sure hate to have that job (repairing them).

I'm being good so far on the shopping front.  That aeropilates reformer wasn't cheap Woman Wink

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  You were certainly up and busy early in the morning.   In the summer (which starts around May and goes through October around here). I get up and out early.  That is to take my walk before the heat is too strong.  But, this time of the year, I "sleep in" until 5:45 or so.  My bed is warm, but the house is chilly.  I know many areas had record highs yesterday, but not here.  

I imagine that Chewy box was heavy.  I have been known to take things out of the box outside rather than trying to drag it into the house.  Whatever works as they say.  Glad the fit on the pants was good.  I'm surprised the petites were even a bit too long on you.  Maybe they will shrink up a bit when you wash them. 

I dodged the "free shipping and handling" bullet yesterday, and I realized that some items probably should be taken off my wishlist since even with a reduced price and free S&H, I still did not order them.  

The meeting I attended yesterday was okay -- a bit of bickering that I could do without, but....  And, I saw a lady who had been in my Caregivers group, and we had a nice chat.  She is taking one of the OLLI classes I am taking, which is nice. 

My hospice visit was also okay, but I was a little concerned about my patient.  The nursing home had her laying in bed in the dark -- no TV, etc., and her roommate had lots of issues.  I think my patient was confused, upset by the commotion, and bored.  We chatted and looked at pictures in her calendar -- lovely beach scenes.  When I left, I asked the staff to turn on the TV so she could watch football.  I'm glad her son/caregiver will return on Monday.

My new Roku came yesterday afternoon, and I spent quite a while getting everything set up.  I think it will work quite well.  

Nothing exciting planned for today, except I am changing things up a bit.  Going to a later church service and not going to the gym until after lunch.  It is amazing how set in your ways/habits you can become.  I'll see how this goes.  I saw a news segment about aging well, and one of the suggestions was to change things up, even if it makes you uncomfortable. 

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice Sunday.

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- glad no flooding for you or your sister, Bernie.  Do take care in the ice.  How do you like your pilates machine so far? 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Linda--The petites were acceptable but I would have liked for them to be about a half inch longer. They were not too long. I guess I phrased it wrong.. I know you were consifdering ordering them in the petite size.  My height may be classified as petite but I am very short waisted My height loss is upper body. The distance from waist to ankle has not changed that much.   I have considered getting a new Roku as mine is several years old but it still works for me.

Bernie--You are fortunate to have escaped any type of flooding. The pilates may have been expensive but if it is something that you wanted and will use to help you physically and health-wise then it will be worth it . Think of it in terms of cost per use!!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

It's finally stopped raining. We had high winds and rain during the night. A few branches cane down but nothing major. It's cooled off a bit but not by much. It looks like we have quite a few days to see our normal cold temps.

Dishwasher update: It looks like we replace the rail system in our dishwasher. My husband thinks he can do the repair. $70 for the rail. The left and right rail are different prices. I'm not sure why but I'm assuming that the stopper system is only on one side of the machine. The only hiccup to the repair is that we have to pull the machine from under the countertop. Normally that would not be such a big deal but when the previous owner had the tile floor installed they did not move the appliances but tiled around them. I'm hoping my "movers pads" will help.

What timing??? This weekend with the easy pays and free shipping. and all my purchases made in the prior weeks. I have items on my wish list but am determined to not purchase anything. We had quite a few unexpected expenses during Christmas so I'm tryint to recover from those.  I am now wondering if easy pay really is a help or hinderance to me. It always grabs my attention but I'm wondering if I should try the full price and then it's done and paid. 

I did order  backup replacement dog toys for the dog toys from Christmas. Both of our dogs take them to bed with them so I thought I better get a replacement now at 50% off. Once they find a "favorite" it's difficult to get them to switch to another when that one is in shreds. Honestly, the other year the entire family was on the "hunt" for a sherpa pig that our big guy used as his pillow. 

Hope everyone has a good afternoon/evening.

Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte   I watched the first videos that described the components of the reformer, proper positioning of your body on the reformer, blah blah blah Woman Very Happy  I did the introductory workout (no cardio rebounding) yesterday.  When I'm flat on my back, I am confident about my positioning.  Stretching with the mermaid posture - not sure I got that right.

There was much core work involved yesterday.  I don't have too much of a tummy so I thought it would be a breeze.  This morning I felt lower abdominal muscles that I haven't felt since my hysterectomy Woman Very Happy

I may or may not do the introductory cardio workout later.  I should have done it before I ate lunch.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@Bird mama @bernie, I bought a reformer years ago and really enjoyed it. When I retired, I worked with a personal trainer at the Y and we had 4 sessions on their Pilates machine. Ithose sessions definitely improved my work on the reformer.

Just a thought...unfortunately as my ra has progressed, I was no longer able to use that machine. 😢