Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, AUG. 4)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a beautiful sunny day, and I am watching HGTV and those fixer up shows. I wouldn't mind having one of those people redo this one but I don't have that type of money. I also wonder how those homes look two to three months later after the family starts really using the home.

I must admit that I could benefit from having a big walk in closet. This house was built before walk in closets became a "necessity." I just have regular closets.  That reinforces the reality that I have too many clothes, but when I see the walk in closets filled with clothes, shoes, etc. on those shows, I think my buying pales in comparison.

I do use those cascading hangers for many pants and tops. They definitely maximize my limited space.

I plan to go to the city tomorrow. This means I should try to discover some items to take for donation. That is a worthy goal for the afternoon but I also am reading a great book I got from the Kindle First program. I'm not overly motivated right now, so perhaps the reading will win with a token effort given to "good riddance."

I did purchase some compression hose from Ames Walker. Those qualify as a "need" purchase, so I am still good with no "want" buying this month despite Q's efforts to tempt me.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, AUG. 4)

@KonaKatI'm another who is carefully watching HGTV these days as I prepare to update my condo.  I don't even plan to move walls and plumbing, but I'm still seeing large estimates which make me think the numbers we see on those shows are either a few years old already or that some of the expenses I'm looking at are being absorbed by the TV production.

Also, I'm with you on wondering what some of the remodels look like months or even a year or two later because in addition to the major changes they do there seems to be a huge amount of re-organizing and disposal of clutter going on.   Wonder how much of that clutter happens all over again.

Esteemed Contributor

,Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, AUG. 4)

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Glad it is a nice day there.  It is another hot day here with temperatures supposed to reach 100 plus and very little chance of rain.  I got out for my walk slightly earlier today, but I think I should try for an even earlier start tomorrow.  I met a very nice man on my walk -- he was elderly (even older than me) and carrying a cane.  I watched as he picked up trash along the sidewalk and road and put it into a grocery bag.  I saw him both ways (going and coming) on my walk, and told him that I appreciated his efforts.

Unfortunately, my cable package does not include HGTV.  If I wanted to have the channel, it would cost me another $20 a month, which is ridiculous.  I used to watch those shows all the time, and, like you and , I often wondered about what happened in a few months.  This house has one larger sort of closet, but not "walk-in".  I know that I would have a problem with filling those big closets up (feel that I needed to do so), so I guess it is for the best that I don't have them.  Like you, I use the cascading hangers.  I remember visiting a couple who showed us around their larger and newer house, and the wife had a huge closet -- very well organized, but she really packed it full.  She had tons of high heeled shoes, which I know are not that useful around here since it is mostly a very casual area.  But, I was impressed with her organization and the amount of clothes and shoes she had.

Good luck with your renovations .  I wondered about those prices as well.  One thing I read was that they restrict the renovations to certain areas, so the rest of the house may not be all that great.

My hospice visit went well yesterday -- my patient's son had taken a nap earlier, so he used the time to go shopping and do errands.  My patient is such a sweet lady.

I was very interested in a "one day only" priced D&Co. blouse presented yesterday, and I had trouble talking myself out of ordering it.  However, with S&H and tax, the blouse would cost more than $40, and it was certainly a "want" rather than a need item. 

A week or two ago, I had ordered one compression hose from Ames Walker when they offered me a special discount.  I am hoping that this stocking (just one) will be the same as those I got from the medical supply house.  I am concerned about runs in the pair that I have, and the price at Ames Walker is less than half of the regular price at the medical supply house.  Still not cheap, which is why I only ordered one.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice Sunday!

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, AUG. 4)

[ Edited ]

Hello Jean @KonaKat   I grew up in some really old houses built by people who were clearly more excited to have indoor bathrooms than closet space.  The closets I have in my house now are more than big enough for me.  I don't think I'd know what to do with a walk in closet.

Hi @millieshops 

Hi Linda @LindaLatte  I saw that Denim & Co blouse yesterday.  It was described as 3/4 sleeve and when I saw where it was hitting the models in the photo I knew the cuff would hit the bend of my elbow and aggravate me, lol.  I liked all of the colors offered.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I received a text from my eldest niece last night around 8:15 pm.  She's in the hospital being treated for cellulitis on her leg Woman Surprised  She said that she noticed it on Friday morning.  She inherited a condition that makes her prone to blood clotting disorders so she doesn't fool around when something looks weird.

She went to urgent care first on Friday.  They sent her to her primary doctor who ran some cultures and drew a line on her leg and said, if the redness goes above this line, go to ER.  She went to ER on Friday, they kept her in observation and decided to admit her on Saturday when they felt the IV antibiotics that they originally had her on weren't working fast enough.

Her case has been reviewed by the infectious disease people and her antibiotic has been changed.

I didn't know much about cellulitis before her text and learned alot from various websites last night.  Because the cellulitis is in her ankle area her doctors are working to stop it as fast as possible before it invades the ankle joint Woman Surprised

They even checked her for flesh eating disease.

Honestly!  When I was growing up the worst I needed to be concerned about because I was a tomboy was getting lock jaw.  On the outside, maybe rabies from an unfamiliar animal.

These days you gotta be concerned about the weird stuff like flesh eating disease.

She's got company right now and is expecting her inlaws to pop in around 3pm.  I'll swing by the hospital after 4 pm.

I like to pace the visitor comings and goings so she has someone there with her at some time during the most of the day.

Respected Contributor

Bernie..my Dh has had 2  occurrences of cellulitis on his leg since January.he also has/ had a blood clot in that leg, which he is being treated for. He is going to have vein surgery at the end of the month.

cellulitis is nothing to mess with..the first time, he was hospitalized to get IV antibiotics..this last time he caught it early enough that oral ones worked. 

Good luck tomyour niece.

Honored Contributor

Hi Barbara @sydsgma1   I fixed my post to indicate the correct day that she first saw/felt the problem on her leg.  My nerves are so rattled by this I wasn't writing straight, lol. 

She first saw in on Friday and was in the ER by Friday night.  I originally wrote that she saw it/felt it on Monday.

Auto immune disorders kind of run on my Ma's side of the family.  We've got cases of RA, Raynauds and Lupus among the cousins.  My Ma didn't have an AI disorder.  My eldest sister developed RA, I developed Hashimotos Thyroiditis.  Believe me, I thank God every day that if I was destined to get an AI disorder, I got Hashimotos.

My eldest sister learned she had the blood clot factor when she threw a clot in 2012.  Both of her kids were tested.  The eldest niece has the same factor, the youngest niece doesn't.  I found out my Ma's baby brother has the blood clot factor issue too.  

My niece is only 39 years old which seems kinda young for this. She said she vaguely remembers scraping her leg/ankle about 2 weeks ago and that it was not a big deal.  She didn't make anything of it.

I'm worried that now that she's had this once, she'll get it again.

Respected Contributor

Bernie..my dds doc told him that once you have a case of cellulitis, you are more likely to develop it in the future.  He is diabetic and has had leg ulcers in the past so I was not surprised. His cardiologist is hopeful,that the vein surgery will increase the blood flow to and from his leg to prevent further episodes.

i get my next big chemo drug infusion for my RA on Wednesday.the initial one has helped a lot..at least I can function for a while without a lot of pain.

(((Hugs)))🥰