Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, 8/10)

Good morning, everyone! It is a beautiful, sunny morning but that is not expected to last into the afternoon. For the time being, it is important to focus upon the sunshine, whether it be the real sunshine or the "sunshine" of the highlights of our day. A psychologist once said in a meeting long ago that it took ten positive comments to offset the impact of one negative comment. This shows how powerful negative thinking can be; it can erode away a life full of promise and it can affect others.

"Wanty" is not calling me. I am well supplied with clothes, etc. If I had to pack up and leave quickly, there can only be a few things that go with me. When I am in my timeshare in Hawaii, I marvel at the less cluttered lifestyle. I have just the right amount of clothes, cooking utensils, etc. and do just fine. Why is it that we feel that we have to keep buying if there is no need? Yes, shopping is fun and for many it is an emotional release to satisfy an emotional need at the time.

I have a sister-in-law who loved to shop. The only problem is that once she got it home, she would often return it the next time she was in the city. She has more than she needs. She is now in an assisted living facility with minimal need. The family is having a challenge going through the home and preparing it for a sale. They are keeping the things of true value to the sister-in-law or family but the majority of it will be going.

I am watching one of those "the end is near" movies and the need to have preparations on hand for survival in a new world but one that would have been the norm for our ancestors. I love to read but nearly everything is on my Kindle now. What if I can no longer charge the Kindle? Perhaps, some paperback books on hand would be a good idea. I used to have books all over the place but they took up so much space.

Do I have a preparedness plan in place? Do I have a bag packed with clothing essentials? Do I have a supply of shelf stable food? Sometimes, these movies make you think. I went through almost two weeks without electricity a few years ago in February when a severe ice storm took out most of the electricity and communication lines in the state. It was not fun but it was a sample of what returning to basics would be like.

I am preparing to go to church and will be wearing two of my latest purchases from QVC: SG slacks and an SG top. I am well supplied so I am now on a non-buying of non-essentials. Wanty has left the building.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, 8/10)

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

Jean - Thank you for starting us today, have a good morning at church. I have watched Prepper shows on TV, I have to admit some of them are way out there, but I have to admit they are prepared far better than I am. Wanty has left the building here also, the only thing I need is a new blanket for our bed, so I have been looking for that and that is it.

We are also having a beautiful morning here, I hope the weather holds out. The local church is having their Fall Festival this weekend and I hope it stays nice for it this evening. We are heading there this evening for dinner, we took some items over to them for the White Elephant sale, so hopefully they do well this year.

Not much going on here today, just some ironing and giving the dog a bath. Hope everyone has a great morning.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning! Thanks for getting us started Jean. I'm sure you will look nice at church. I don't really get into those sorts of "end is near" sorts of movies/books. But, sometimes I read or see things that make me think about buying a generator, stocking up on water, etc. Food is not an issue since I have way, way too much. That is something I need to work on, but.... I believe it is true about negative comments -- this can even be a negative thought/comment ot myself. That is another thing I'm working on.

I received some very good news in the mail yesterday -- my mammogram showed no problems! That is a relief to say the least. One of my work friends is battling breast cancer, and it is quite a struggle.

Wanty isn't too strong for me today at least, but I'm never sure how long that will last.

I have ironing to do as well Susan -- exciting??? Hope your beautiful weather lasts all day.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Karen, Marijane, LindaR, Gayle, Gina, Jules, Sonya, Nancy, Val, Kathy, and all of our posters and readers.

Need to get ready for church now. After church, I plan to go to the gym.

Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I enjoy watching those types of movies simply because it reminds me of how much I take for granted what I have. That two weeks we went without electricity in February almost statewide several years ago was a real challenge. That event was what started the generator buying craze here. I have yet to do that but I make sure I keep shelf stable food. I have gas heating but it is controlled by an electric thermostat. Great news on the mammogram results!!

Susan--I do hope your church function and sale can be held in good weather. Enjoy your dinner....and your ironing. Ugh on the ironing! It is starting to get overcast here.

It doesn't happen often here but a lady in church had on the same top but in a different color.

I can't remember if I mentioned it but my Florida niece is off the ventilator and breathing on her own now. Good news!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good news about your niece Jean. I never went two weeks without power, and I'm sure it would be a very large challenge for me as well. Just going for a few days without heat in the winter or AC in the hot summer months is quite enough for me. Even not having drinkable water for a few days was very difficult. We do take a lot for granted, but those sorts of outages really get our attention.

Contributor

Good afternoon.Its a beautiful day here too and the dogs are loving it.The government recommends that we keep at least a thirty days supply of food,water,pet food,medications.Also a manual can opener if power is out.My meds are too expensive to do that.I guess I had quite a shopping spree in abstentia yesterday.Well Malcolm is waiting.We have errands to run.Have a great day everyone.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes. water would definitely be an issue. I can remember that period of time this year when water had to be trucked into our major city because of contamination of the water supply. I also believe a city in Ohio is also faced with the same problem because of algae pollution of their water supply.

Respected Contributor

HI girls!

Checking in quick; I'm meeting the friend I'm going to Florida with in a little while; we have to finalize plans. We're going to a Chinese buffet then to the cheapie movie to see "God is Not Dead."

Funny, Jules, how on one hand the government is telling people to stock up, and on the other, it considers those who have more than a few days of food potential terrorists! I'm just trusting in the Lord; I know it's all going to hit the fan, as things are lining up precisely according to Bible prophecy, but He'll take care of me - I fully expect to escape the worst via rapture. I always have a good supply of food on hand anyway, but what some of those preppers don't realize is that when things get really bad, someone could get their throat cut over a can of peas!

Susan, did you say Fall Festival???? It's only August! {#emotions_dlg.scared} Wow, talk about rushing things!

Well, I'd better get dressed and get moving; I also need to find a large box to ship a dozen or so sweaters in; we're going to be right by Coldwater Creek today - I wonder if anything is left?

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, Yes you are so right that it is important to focus on the positive. Glad you are getting warm weather now. Wanty is not calling me either. I have hardly had time to watch QVC all weekend. Good news on your FL niece. If somebody had the same top on that I wore to church, I would find it to be a complement to my nice taste. I think we went one day without power in the 70's during an ice storm. That was bad enough with two small children. Two weeks UGH!

Marijane, It feels like fall in the air here too. 50's by night & 70's by day. We did have a couple of days in the low 80's, but now the lovely 70's again. I think we are in for a thunderstorm tomorrow. I did find the shower curtain at BB&B yesterday. I got a dark chocolate one as my towels are different shades of brown & some plain tan ones.

Linda R, triple digits. OH MY!!!

LL, I was so surprised to get such a nice letter from that restaurant owner. When I told my very good GF about the $50 check he sent me, plus a $50 gift card for his restaurant if we should decided to return one day, she said I needed to send him a thank you. Do any of you gals think I should send a thank you to him? Good news on your mammogram. Prayers for your co worker too.

Susan, Our area fall festivals are in Sept. & Oct. by then it could be cool or even cold.

The pool party yesterday was lots of fun. My DH's family always all show up for something like this. My family is different that we never get together at the same time unless it is truly an emergency. Sad I know.

I did buy a nice shower curtain at BB&B yesterday. We just got home from a 50th wedding anniversary. I had both the husband & wife as teachers when I was in HS back in the 60's & my DH had the wife for typing. He said he wanted to forget about that class. Ha. Ha. So many good memories & lots of our old teachers showed up.

Tomorrow we are taking my mom & another relative to a funeral 1/2 hour from our home for an elderly relative whom died last Friday. He lived a good life so his family can be proud of him.

FHG, I think I am going to a Chinese Buffet on Tuesday with friends. You are making me hungry already. Enjoy the pool whenever you can. You got some great deals on all of those sweaters too.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Arlene--Enjoy the Chinese buffet and also planning for the Florida trip. I indulged in a Chinese buffet last week. A friend called and said they wanted to get out of town, so we drove to the city for no purpose other than eating at the Chinese buffet which is on the side of the city closest to us. You know you are desperate to get out when you spend over two hours on the road but spend slightly more than 30 minutes in the buffet.

Twinny--We both got a chuckle out of our wearing the same top. I think it would be nice to send a thank you note to the restaurant owner as he went beyond the call of duty to make amends for the meal. I have fond memories of typing class and learning to type with the keys covered to keep us from looking. It certainly developed speed and accuracy with practice and eliminated the hunt and peck so often seen now.

Jules--I do use a manual can opener. One of those that you twist and unseal the top from the can without leaving sharp edges. I haven't used an electric can opener for a long time. I also keep a supply of food just in case. Sometimes when the roads are covered with ice. it is reassuring to know there is food available without going ice skating in a car to a supermarket.