Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY)

My Dad passed on Easter Saturday. We spent Easter making his arrangements. His services were on Tuesday----walked into the church to see it bedecked with the Easter Lillies---thus Easter is always a time for reflection for me. (even though the date is not the same I consider Easter as his passing).

Had to take my PC back in this morning. Of course it doesn't act up there!!! Then I had an issue with my phone---I am not getting along with technology!.

I know a lady who had such severe issues from wearing heels and pointed shoes that last year she had to have a toe amputated. She showed me her foot prior---she could have had it fused--with no guarantee--but chose the other route. She would have had to be on crutches for months with the fusion. She is doing great---lesson learned too late!.

Kathleen: I know you will do great with downsizing. I know you have been working toward this for a while---before you knew the reason!

Respected Contributor

Hi girls! Glad to hear you don't need surgery Jean. You're right about shopping being fun and more the "main event" then getting the stuff home; so often I've had the pleasure of shopping and forgot all about what I bought in a short time. When you get older and are single and your friends are mostly married or have families it's often hard to find someone to do things with, so shopping was something I always felt comfortable doing alone for entertainment. I never had a problem with going to concerts or the ballet and such alone, since I've loved those things since I was a teen and it was either go by myself or not go at all (my friends were only into rock music), but it's only really since my husband died that I started to go out for a nice meal alone; I just take my Kindle along and enjoy my food, and have gotten to where I'm OK with it. I still shop, but nowhere near as much as I used to.

I did look at the TSV after you mentioned it, and then looked on Amazon - the reviews are poor, and apparently the so-called guarantee only applies if you buy those pillows through the infomercial or their own website. People were saying they're uncomfortable and go flat quickly, and one woman said when she called customer service they hung up on her! {#emotions_dlg.scared} I have down pillows that I got from IKEA over a year ago, and I'm very happy with them.

I used to occasionally wear high heels when I was younger, but I was never a really big fan of them. I have a few pumps with 3" heels which I haven't used, but they're a thicker heel - I'm not about to sacrifice comfort for looks. In the past I've often bought high heels because the shoes were so pretty, but when I realized I was almost always giving them away without ever having worn them I finally smartened up and stopped buying them.

It was supposed to be cloudy today but when I went out to feed the outdoor critters I saw that it was raining a bit, so I doubt I'll go anywhere - I had just been thinking of taking the dogs to the park, as it's warm out. LindaL, I went to Aldi the other day for strawberries (there's a recipe for strawberry sour cream cake in the recipes forum that I want to try), but they were sold out...and the store was a madhouse. I wouldn't even think of hitting a grocery store today! I got a burst of energy yesterday and got some cleaning and organizing done; it's amazing what a huge difference just getting rid of clutter makes! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I have another bag started for the thrift shop, and when I go upstairs to find an outfit for tomorrow (I know which one I want - the trick is finding it!), maybe I'll find a few more things I can get rid of. I'm really proud of myself for figuring out how to get the computer cleaned of the malware and junk on it; hopefully today I can figure out how to get the vacuum cleaner back together! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} No other plans, apart from making cupcakes and some other treats for the police and firemen who have to work on Resurrection Day. The police force is only 16 people as it's a fairly small town, and I don't think there are many firemen (some work both jobs simultaneously), so three batches of whatever should be sufficient.

Susan, sorry to hear about your friend's mom; all you can do is be there for her. At least she was blessed to have a loving mother; many people don't even have the good memories. I'll say a prayer for your friend's peace.

Guess I'd better get moving - have a blessed day, everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

Back from the grocery store -- no big crowds around the produce department, but I noticed the Easter candy aisle was packed. LOL

DH wears the least expensive shoes possible, and I have been wanting to buy him a good pair of shoes. So, we went to a special shoe store (the owner specializes in hand-made custom orthotics) near the grocery store. It took a long time to fit DH, and he ended up with quite a big shoe. But, hopefully they will work for him and last for a while since they were quite expensive. This will be another of his birthday gifts from me. They do an analysis of your foot before making the orthotics, and they should last for quite a while. But, the full pair costs $350. So, I may hold off on that gift. LOL I know that I'm spoiling DH, but I do "force" him to walk every day.

Respected Contributor

Linda the grocery wasn't crowded because they all went to Walmart!! We spent about $1000 (Total - budgeted) but got almost everything we needed. Nice TV, found a nice inexpensive outdoor furniture that folds up and then all the toiletries and kitchen items that were necessities. Stevie came home and drove me around and we had a good time but I sure was ready to be home from shopping.

She is gone to dinner with friends and we are home alone!! Got the TV hooked up and unpacked all the new stuff. I need to make the bed and the towels are in the dryer. It's been a very productive day.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been very tired so when I went to bed to read, I fell asleep for a couple of hours. Hopefully, I will be able to sleep tonight. Usually if I sleep any during the day, I don't during the night.

Linda--Well made men's shoes built to specifications can be expensive but can last a long time, making them cost effective. It is a big decision.

Kathleen--You had a very successful shopping day for the RV. How exciting to see things fall in place. It truly will be a home away from home.

Arlene--I think it is great that you can enjoy a meal alone in a good restaurant. So many people deny themselves a good experience simply because they don't feel comfortsable dining alone.

I decided to avoid the Easter crowds by making appointments in the city on Monday instead of the past Friday or today. No, I won't be tempted by sales on left over Easter candy.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.